fanless barebones pc broadwell n3050 $97.95/£78.33 6 USB(4x3.0). Msata, gig eth, wifi
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Eglobal-...b80fcdc3d1

watch gallery

can order vesa mount with purchase

youtube video of form factor

1 * Mini PC Device
1 * EU/AM/BR/AU/US standard Power Adapter
1 * Plastic Stand Holder
2 * WiFi Antennas
1 * HDMI Cable
1 * VESA mount(optional)
I've got one of these as media server, and it's fine for that - silent and snappy. Be aware, that there's no room for thicker 2,5" drives inside this enclosure.

No h.265 hardware acceleration, so not very future proof alternative as Kodi box.
Odroid C2 running CoreElec
The odroid C2 cost £58.85 (£5.2 shipping to UK + £4.88 charger)

so for £20 extra is it worth getting this? you'll need to add your own ram and storage.

you also got the chance of getting 8.4% cashbackat quido
http://www.quidco.com/ali-express/

so thats effectively £71.75

wrxtasy, noggin thoughts?
(2017-01-24, 08:41)BoxFreak Wrote: I've got one of these as media server, and it's fine for that - silent and snappy. Be aware, that there's no room for thicker 2,5" drives inside this enclosure.

No h.265 hardware acceleration, so not very future proof alternative as Kodi box.
awesome
could you give some more details?
what other hardware have you got to compare to?
does it play other codecs?

after quidco at £72, do you think its worth it over say Odroid C2 at £13 more.
(the only difference is this hasnt got ram but lots of other things that odroid doesnt have)

also where did you buy it from? thanks
No h.265 decoding with hardware, so C2 is better as media center. I haven't tried this with Kodi at all. Bought from aliexpress.
(2017-01-24, 08:59)BoxFreak Wrote: No h.265 decoding with hardware, so C2 is better as media center. I haven't tried this with Kodi at all. Bought from aliexpress.
thanks Smile shame about hardware decode
for £100 you can get the i3 5005u (thats with cashback)
same seller
What is not taken into consideration here is Import taxes, particularly if you live in Europe.

As an example a complete packaged C2, with 8GB eMMC / 2GB RAM, including EU taxes = € 74.95 / £65 from Pollin Electric

I think there may even be discounts when you signup for Pollin's Newsletter.

Then as BoxFreak said - no 10bit HEVC hardware decoding.

No HDMI 2.0 either if you have/upgrade to a 4K TV. No HDMI-CEC control with virtually all Intel devices.

As always, In the end depends on what individual users need.

BTW: 5005u I believe is Broadwell Intel

(2017-01-24, 09:34)wrxtasy Wrote: What is not taken into consideration here is Import taxes, particularly if you live in Europe.

As an example a complete packaged C2, with 8GB eMMC / 2GB RAM, including EU taxes = € 74.95 / £65 from Pollin Electric

I think there may even be discounts when you signup for Pollin's Newsletter.

Then as BoxFreak said - no 10bit HEVC hardware decoding.

No HDMI 2.0 either if you have/upgrade to a 4K TV. No HDMI-CEC control with virtually all Intel devices.

As always, In the end depends on what individual users need.

BTW: 5005u I believe is Broadwell Intel
very good points

1/cpu is N3050 not 5005u
2/ there is hevc 8bit decoding?
http://nucblog.net/2015/08/hevc-decoding...l-is-here/
HEVC Decoding Performance
I’ve been playing around with my NUC5CPYH and watching various HEVC clips. Obviously anything at the full HD resolution (1080p) works fine, but more interestingly the device is able to decode 4K (3840×2160) HEVC videos rather well. Even if the software is in its very early stages the results are very encouraging.

2160p24: playback was smooth
2160p30: some videos were totally smooth, on some videos I saw frames skipped
2160p50: a small amount of frames skipped and dropped (very watchable still)
2160p60: significant amount of frames skipped and dropped (disturbing jerkiness at times, yet surprisingly watchable)

3/ I've never been hit by customs from ordering from aliexpress
4/ for future proofing this doesn't seem like a good investment right now
5/thanks
It's broadwell. I paid customs when ordering that, but it would be anyway cheaper than Chromebox - and without fan. Sata-ssd with 2,5"hdd/ssd could be nice "one-box-solution" with this. Install LibreElec to sata-ssd, and keep media on the big drive. But, as Kodi for C2 seems to be quite there now, I don't see very much point with this "old" hardware in this use.

As media server it's fine, even when media is located on external usb-drive (usb3). Though I think it would be much faster if I hooked my media drive directly to sata-connection. Unfortunately that would require some case modding, because my 3tb drive is too thick to fit inside.
Does this have HDMI 2.0 output (as the ODroid C2 does)? If it doesn't then no 2160/50p or 59.94p output - which is an issue for some. HDMI 1.4 is limited to 30p and below at 2160p.
(2017-01-24, 13:02)noggin Wrote: Does this have HDMI 2.0 output (as the ODroid C2 does)? If it doesn't then no 2160/50p or 59.94p output - which is an issue for some. HDMI 1.4 is limited to 30p and below at 2160p.

No, and no hw 10bit hevc. I wouldn't consider if you are wanting to use it for 4k.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
fanless barebones pc broadwell n3050 $97.95/£78.33 6 USB(4x3.0). Msata, gig eth, wifi0