kodi 17 RC4 install page and Windows Defender
Hi All,

Has any one had this, was sat at pc (windows 10), when Windows Defender spouts MALWARE Found, then a few seconds later, I cheked it history and it claims that the rc4 installer I downloaded contained the Trojan: Win32/Gaobot.

Surley this Is a false positive we keep hearing about. Can admin confirm False alert.

regards
Andy
I got this to!

Pleas conferm
Yup, I got the same message Sad
Same when starting the program after a restart -Windows defender placed the Trojan:Win32/Gaobot in the "Karantän" Do not know the english word but Defender block it from running and after that Kodi start up normal again.
Something is in this version that should not be there in the exe, otherwise Defender have got it wrong.
I've got no detail to add but can confirm I've had the same. Fresh Kodi installation. Downloaded from the Kodi website today, installed and soon after got the Windows Defender telling me it contains a Trojan.
Yup I got it too...I downloaded the latest nightly and it installed and runs but not without a warning from Safescreen...
same thing happened here.
gladly i didn't open the executable and didn't install it on my HTPC yet.
also the blog post on RC4 has the comment section closed.
gonna wait for a official statement from the kodi devs.
Kaspersky Total Security states that it is malware free an when submitting to Virustotal, only 3 reported malware, one of which was Microsoft.

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/4483f...485722845/
Quote:Surley this Is a false positive we keep hearing about. Can admin confirm False alert.

False positive confirmed, change your virus checker.
in doubt, just grab the latest Krypton nightly, which is nothing else than RC4 with probably an additional bugfix http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/Krypton/
(2017-01-30, 03:04)fabiomello Wrote: same thing happened here.

Comment section is most likely closed because of people trying to use it for bug reports and tech support. I think that's a grand idea...no comments. Wink
(2017-01-30, 19:47)flhthemi Wrote:
(2017-01-30, 03:04)fabiomello Wrote: same thing happened here.

Comment section is most likely closed because of people trying to use it for bug reports and tech support. I think that's a grand idea...no comments. Wink

^^ exactly that and we got tired of it.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Just saying - only have had the problem on 64 bit windows machines running latest version windows 10 - don't get the message on 32 bit machines, or an older 64 bit machine with older OS - anyway, disabled windows defender temporarily on those afflicted machines and everything works good
I can't download RC4 because Windows Defender keeps deleting the .exe before I have a chance to install it. Actually, even before it finishes downloading.
I'm currently downloading the latest nightly to see if I get lucky Smile

[EDIT]
It worked with the latest nightly.
Admin @ Passion-XBMC
(official french community)
(2017-01-30, 21:37)blakistone Wrote: Just saying - only have had the problem on 64 bit windows machines running latest version windows 10 - don't get the message on 32 bit machines, or an older 64 bit machine with older OS - anyway, disabled windows defender temporarily on those afflicted machines and everything works good

MS Security Essentials on Win 7 x64 also quarantines rc4 at least as of 1/29 definitions. Saying "change your virus checker" is not really a solution. There may well be better security software but the real solution is for the team to work with the security software suppliers to determine why the false positive is occurring.

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
kodi 17 RC4 install page and Windows Defender0