Kodi does not start (16.1 or 17) in new pc build
Hi everyone

I would love your help. I am using the Kodi in two pc. Both of them very old in terms of hardware but both using windows 7 (one Ultimate x64 and the other Home version x86).
The one with the 7 Ultimate x64 was my main pc including 8gb ram, an AMD Radeon 6850 and a Q6600. Kodi was working perfectly on version 16.1 with no issues for the last 7 months.

I just built a new pc based on an i7, an RX480 and Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I have installed all major windows updates and SP1.
I tried to install both Kodi 16.1 and 17 multiple times, uninstalled and re-installed but everytime I do so Kodi does not start.

Whenever I double click the Kodi icon Kodi stucks either at a black screen with a round cursor and a "not responsing" message if I ctrl+alt+del or gets stuck in the very first screen (e.g. Jarvis logo).

Below you can find the error message additional info from Windows

Description:
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: Kodi.exe
Application Version: 16.1.0.0
Application Timestamp: 571c922e
Hang Signature: 51d1
Hang Type: 1
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1032
Additional Hang Signature 1: 51d15282a81aaa1055b5bdd5a62107d8
Additional Hang Signature 2: 6991
Additional Hang Signature 3: 6991c65dece1106847a12dba13ec8a14
Additional Hang Signature 4: 2d91
Additional Hang Signature 5: 2d91156797849d1ff6eb6234f795c957
Additional Hang Signature 6: efba
Additional Hang Signature 7: efbab8fa3c39d6411e33821e3abab0e2

I am trying the last 3 hours to troubleshot this through googling to no avail.

The Radeon drivers are the latest version 17.1.1 issued within January, latest DirectX are installed along with all Microsoft Visual C++ packages (e.g. 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015 both x86 and x64 versions).

I don't know what else to check. Please help!!!
debug log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thank you
I just found two debug logs kodi and kodi.old (I reading in parallel this thread http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=262060).

Can you help me on how to upload the info here using http://pastebin.com/ as per the wiki link you provided?
I think I understood how it works. Here is the link of the debug log

http://pastebin.com/xTaE3FXF

Can anyone make anything useful out of it?
I see some "warning" message but I don't know what they mean. Example:

23:38:09 T:2520 WARNING: CSettingString: unknown options filler "timezonecountries" of "locale.timezonecountry"
23:38:09 T:2520 WARNING: CSettingString: unknown options filler "timezones" of "locale.timezone"

23:38:15 T:4360 ERROR: ActiveAE::ActiveAE::CActiveAE::InitSink - failed to init

23:38:16 T:2520 WARNING: CSkinInfo: failed to load skin settings
23:38:16 T:2520 WARNING: Previous line repeats 1 times.
23:38:16 T:2520 WARNING: JSONRPC: Could not parse type "Setting.Details.SettingList"

23:38:20 T:4360 ERROR: ActiveAE::ActiveAE::CActiveAE::InitSink - failed to init
I tried also different solutions from other threads like making a portable version

http://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable

Using Kodi 17 this time as a source but again no luck

And here is the debug log from the "portable" Kodi 17 version

http://pastebin.com/LbT4z3mA

A few errors again

00:15:23 T:1428 FATAL: E:\Programs\Kodi\addons\inputstream.mpd\inputstream.mpd.dll is a system dll and should never be released
00:15:23 T:1428 FATAL: E:\Programs\Kodi\addons\inputstream.smoothstream\inputstream.smoothstream.dll is a system dll and should never be released

00:15:28 T:3832 ERROR: ActiveAE::ActiveAE::CActiveAE::InitSink - failed to init

00:15:29 T:1428 WARNING: CSkinInfo: failed to load skin settings
00:15:29 T:1428 WARNING: JSONRPC: Could not parse type "Setting.Details.SettingList"
00:15:29 T:1428 ERROR: JSONRPC: Unable to parse JSON Schema definition for ""
00:15:29 T:1428 ERROR: JSONRPC: Invalid JSON Schema definition for method ""

00:15:29 T:2972 ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting
00:15:29 T:2972 ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting pvr://recordings/tv/active?view=flat
00:15:29 T:4876 ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting pvr://channels/tv/*?view=lastplayed
00:15:29 T:2972 ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting pvr://channels/radio/*?view=lastplayed
00:15:29 T:4876 ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting pvr://recordings/radio/active?view=flat
00:15:31 T:3832 ERROR: ActiveAE::ActiveAE::CActiveAE::FlushEngine - failed to flush
00:15:36 T:3832 ERROR: ActiveAE::ActiveAE::CActiveAE::InitSink - failed to init
00:15:38 T:3832 ERROR: ActiveAE::ActiveAE::CActiveAE::FlushEngine - failed to flush
And finally a "full debug log" using "advancedsettings.xml"

http://pastebin.com/0dNDZeb4

Please for any feedback

Thanks
Coming back with more updates:

1) I de-activated Nod Smart both the Antivirus and firewall and launched both versions of Kodi (16 & 17) without success
2) as above and re-installed everything again without success
3) I de-activated Windows firewall with no success
4) The monitor I use is the old one I had in my previous desktop pc where Kodi 16 was working flawlessly. It native resolution is 1680x1050 and Kodi was playing without a problem. Now with the same monitor, same resolution it does not start. I lowered resolution to the next available (something 1280x..... I don't remember by heart) but still no success. I haven't tested lower resolution e.g. 1024X768 or lower but I don't know if it will work.

Also I don't know how to ask/force Kodi to start in Windowed mode to test if it is the full screen option that creates the problem?
Krypton 17 is in release, at this point we should be not reverting. Looking over your logs it's not sure where the issue lies,,, the only log that makes sense is the portable install, the suspect is the video drivers. I suggest a clean install as per my sig, rename the install you already have if you want to keep it or use another portable install, and forgo the PVR in that install, and turn on debug logging with an advancedsetting.xml Let's try for a launch of the interface, slash key \ puts the interface into windowed mode although the program would have to be launched for the command to work.
First of all let me thank you for your help.

The last night versions I had already uninstalled them fully.

I followed your instructions:

1) Clean install including ensuring that the Kodi folder under appdata\roaming is not there
2) Installed Jarvis 16.1 without PVR option
3) Enabled advancedsetting.xml debugging
4) Launched Kodi with administrative rights just in case

Launched Kodi but still the same problem, it stucks either at a black screen or the initial Jarvis splash screen.

Below you can find the debug log

http://pastebin.com/8aUmjZBh

Next step I will try (a) to set Windows resolution at 1024x768 and relaunch, (b) to re-install Realtek audio drivers (Asus mobo) and relaunch and © re-install the AMD Radeon drivers and try again.

I will come back once finished with the results.

The only point I didn't understand was what you mentioned about "Let's try for a launch of the interface, slash key \ puts the interface into windowed mode although the program would have to be launched for the command to work."

Where to include the "\"? In the Kodi shortcut in the "target" address?
Update:

(a) Lowering the resolution at 1024x768 = no solution
(b) Uninstalling and re-installing Realtek audio drivers (latest available drivers in Asus site) = no solution
© Uninstalling and re-installing AMD Radeon video drivers (latest drivers in AMD site17.1.1) = no solution

I don't know what else to try.

Although from the previous debug log I attached it seems that perhaps it is the Audio card/driver or directsound?

Because it says:
20:55:07 T:3796 DEBUG: CActiveAESink::OpenSink - trying to open device DIRECTSOUND:default
20:55:12 T:632 ERROR: ActiveAE::ActiveAE::CActiveAE::InitSink - failed to init
I meant that since no developer eyes are looking at 16.1, and the release of 17 is here, you should be using 17 exclusively now. I'm still scratching my head with this one. You have anything plugged into a port, or DVD in the drive? Yes it's defaulting to direct sound, and the splash screen is going up so screen size is defined, keep it at desktop resolution. considering you've already got an advancedsettings.xml could you throw this in <audiodevice default="true">WASAPI:default</audiodevice>

Realtek drivers have been an issue in the past Windows audio (wiki) might want a quick peek.
I will give it a shot
Do I include this additional advancedsettings.xml line before the final line in the file, correct?

A) Regarding Jarvis 16.1 I much more prefer it versus 17. I find it much easier in terms of menus, customization, options etc.
When I installed 17 in my laptop I took it out after a week and replace it with 16.1. It was a nightmare trying to set up everything (e.g. packs to download, setting subtitles etc.) as it would require again extensive reading from my side to learn to do these things. Things that I can do with closed eyes up to 16.1 and it takes me roughly 10 minutes to set up a new Kodi installation. The only thing taking additional time is Trakt with the back and forth linking and verification.

So I would prefer if possible to stay in 16.1. After all it is the only really stable Kodi version, since 17 is still in release candidate and I assume with a lot of things remaining to be finetuned.

B) Concerning Realtek audio drivers it is really funny because in my old pc, the Gigabyte mobo had a realtek audio chipset and I had installed the Realtek drivers and Kodi 16.1 was working perfectly.
In the new system Asus mobo has again a Realtek audio chipset which again has installed the latest available driver set from manufacturer site (Asus).

The only thing I didn't try was to launch Kodi without manufacturer audio and video drivers, meaning let the system only with the respective Windows versions. This will mean though I will have once more to scrap this drivers again (as I did last night) and try with Windows basic versions. And what if this is the culprit? I cannot leave the system with the Windows 7 drivers. These do not take full advantage of the hardware capabilities.

A last point, I saw in the device manager, under sound devices there are 2 of them. One "Realtek full HD and one AMD audio. Although I don't have a second audio card, is it by chance a driver for RX480 for hdmi usage to get HD sound to the monitorHuh?
a) The release of 17 is here, not the release candidate (the blog post will be up in a few days) and a lot of bugs, fixes and general improvements although the default skin has changed, you can still grab confluence if that's your comfort or one of the many alternates. Developers eyes are looking at issues with 17+ and I hazard a guess that they will pass any Jarvis issues as bugs that have been nailed.

There shouldn't be much difference in the set-up between the 61 & 17 that would entail a gooble amount of work. I've found Krypton 17 stable enough and slightly faster on my old machine, and like the new pick-me-up skin, although I have migrated back to my old familiar Transparency! (I should mention T! also has a revamped look).

b) Windows drivers for video is not something you want, the video card manufacture should be supplying proper drivers for both the video and audio, (I note you have been installing Realtek drivers stand alone) this may be the fly in the ointment. It does look like both drivers sets are loading up.

stick it

<advancedsettings>
<loglevel>2</loglevel>
<audio>
<audiodevice default="true">WASAPI:default</audiodevice>
</audio>
</advancedsettings>
Thank you so much for your time and effort

My mistake, I saw in the official kodi page (https://kodi.tv/) the first article with bold "Kodi v17.0 “Krypton” Release Candidate 4" and I thought v17 is still in RC4 not final stable version.

Currently I re-installed 16.1 to test with your proposed debug file and I will re-edit this post with the results.
Then I will download v17 from here (https://kodi.tv/download/) the Windows Release installer and I will give it a shot. If it goes wrong I will also post the debug log.

Regarding the Realtek drivers, they are not the standalone versions from Realtek site. These are the official audio drivers package provided by Asus, the manufacturer of the board. Can the official driver from Asus be to fault?

Edit (1)
Tested with the enhanced debug mode. v16.1 starts and stucks at a black screen not even the Jarvis splash screen. Below the debug log. If my understanding is correct (I am not programmer or dev just what I understand by reading the file), the audio line you asked me to include in the advanced settings file, forces it to debug and try opening directsound device. But again it fails.....

http://pastebin.com/UY1wxFQ5

Edit (2)
Uninstalled fully 16.1 and installed Release v17.0. Still the same, not working, stuck at Krypton splash screen. Below the enhanced debug log.

http://pastebin.com/X7ziyzPP

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi does not start (16.1 or 17) in new pc build0