Moving Kodi Data to External SD Card
Another - nearly-Newby question

I wish to move my data to save storage space on my internal memory.
I have followed the apparently simple steps and
created a file xbmc_env.properties in my folder /mnt/sdcard/
and put the one-line text xbmc.data=/storage/sdcard1/Kodi-data into this file
I have created the folder /storage/sdcard1/Kodi-data/
and copied the folder tree Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi to my new Kodi-data/ folder.
However, Kodi then fails to start - it jumps out almost immediately.

If I slightly rename the xbmc_env.properties file, then Kodi starts OK again, presumably using the original data source.

Could this be something to do with permission to access the external sd card on my unrooted, Lollipop device ?
If so, how can I do this ?
For other Apps which use the external card, I have had to grant permission when the App requested it but Kodi does not make any such request.

Any suggestions would be very gratefully received.
Quite possibly.
Just checked mine, and it's as follows:

xbmc.data=/storage/sdcard1/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files

I vaguely remember some threads about permissions, which is why I ended up with that - a search would probably turn up some discussion on it.
Thanks. That appears to work a treat.
Whilst nearly all the articles I had read suggested doing it the way I tried ( and failed ) there was one which suggested using your path, above, but it indicated that you could not use ES File Explorer to copy the files. However, that is what I used ( my normal file manager ) and there was no problem.
So, my very congested internal memory says thank you very much.
It seems that my thoughts about it being a permission problem were incorrect.
I am having difficulty understanding how to do what the Kodi wiki page on this issue is saying. I am trying to use ES file explorer. I created the plain text file (xbmc_env.properties) and followed all the rest of the steps but the part I get stuck on is step 4. When I try to copy the .kodi folder to the xbmc_env.properties text file it won't let me. What am I doing wrong?? Why isn't there a video tutorial on this subjectHuh Please help, thank you.
You should NOT be trying to transfer the .kodi folder to the xbmc_env.properties text file.
The xbmc_env.properties file should contain just one line, which is the path to the new data folder.
Using the folder suggested in the Kodi wiki page did not work for me but the folder suggested by troggy ( above ) did, in which case the single line in the xbmc_env.properties file should read xbmc.data=/storage/sdcard1/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files, as troggy indicated, and you should be transferring the .kodi folder to the xbmc.data=/storage/sdcard1/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files folder
Not to create a new thread - because my question is similar - is there a way to move/redirect only 1 folder, not the whole data but i.e. userdata/thumbnails folder to another disk/sd card?
(2017-02-19, 18:04)DaLanik Wrote: Not to create a new thread - because my question is similar - is there a way to move/redirect only 1 folder, not the whole data but i.e. userdata/thumbnails folder to another disk/sd card?
You can use a path substitution (advancedsettings.xml) for that, with the proviso that the new path will probably still need to be in the /Android.xbmc.org.thingy folder on the new drive / sd card.
Pathsubs don't work for everything (they do work for thumbnails).
Cool thanx, I didn't know whether pathsubs work for system things. Will try. I am roted so the path sould be able to work anywhere.
Anyone get this working with a FireTV?

I used the following code in advancedsettings but it didn't work (also tried to point to emulated for the 0 drive). I just want to move the thumbnails.

<pathsubstitution>
  <substitute>
    <from>/storage/sdcard0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/thumbnails/</from>
    <to>/storage/sdcard1/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/thumbnails/</to>
  </substitute>
 </pathsubstitution>

Thx

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Moving Kodi Data to External SD Card0