• 3(current)
v17 Audio glitch/crackling on pause/play
(2017-02-22, 11:34)muttley:bd Wrote:
Quote:Nothing to bump. I don't plan on fixing anything here, because I cannot reproduce and therefore cannot debug it at all ... and it seems only people with very old AVRs seem to have an issue here.
I would like only say that is an issue of KODI, so because mplayer, vlc, dragonplayer HAVE NOT any trouble.
My AVR could be quite old, but with other players work like a charm. I'm a addons developer of Kodi, I'm here from 2008, I used it from a lot of time with my Xbox...I'm sorry of this not solution.

Quote:Are you able to compile kodi from source? If yes, I would provide some prints to see what it gets.
I can try...but never done

If your AVR does not understand IEC pause burst packages, then this is an issue with kodi only for sure. As all those other tools have no ability to send those packages. Again: Is that a kodi bug or a bug of your AVR?

And to add: if we would do something fundamentally wrong - you would have the very same issue with DTS.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Quote: Again: Is that a kodi bug or a bug of your AVR?
IMHO, if this "IEC pause burst packages" (that I don't know what is) are not in the standard or brake the backward compatibility, at least Kodi need a setting (maybe only in advancedsettings) to disable it and work like VLC, mplayer, etc...

Quote:if we would do something fundamentally wrong - you would have the very same issue with DTS
DTS have, I already explain, another issue (since Kodi 16), when I play a movie with DTS, the AVR lock/hold on DTS also on stop or at the end of movie. This issue "fix" the glitch one Smile
Kodi is compliant to IEC 61937. IEC 61937-2 defines burst-info.
Quote:Kodi is compliant to IEC 61937. IEC 61937-2 defines burst-info.
This means that my Yamaha AVR and VLC, mplayer, etc are not standard?!
(2017-02-22, 09:03)fritsch Wrote: I am quite sure your bug is not kodi related, but power management of the intel chip.

You should have the very same issue when using a command line player and pausing this one.

Edit: Please with mp3player and your mp3.

I can test an mp3player when I get home.
But I can assure you that this behaviour/problem wasn't there on 16.1.
As for Ubuntu it was 16.04 back than as it is now.

@muttley:bd
Could you download my recording and listen to it?
Does it sound like your problem?
Kodi 21.0α | Ubuntu 22.04.3 | Kernel 6.4.x | intel i5-12600K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Corsair 2x8192MB (DDR4-3200) | HDPlex H5v2 | HDPlex 400W HiFi DC-ATX | Pioneer VSX-934 | LG 65B7D
Quote:Could you download my recording and listen to it?

I don't know what download...anyway, I have issue only on passthrough. For what I read you not.
(2017-02-22, 14:42)muttley:bd Wrote:
Quote:Could you download my recording and listen to it?

I don't know what download...anyway, I have issue only on passthrough. For what I read you not.

I mean this
Kodi 21.0α | Ubuntu 22.04.3 | Kernel 6.4.x | intel i5-12600K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Corsair 2x8192MB (DDR4-3200) | HDPlex H5v2 | HDPlex 400W HiFi DC-ATX | Pioneer VSX-934 | LG 65B7D
sorry @3dfx but i think is different issue...you can hear my glitch on this video http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2qv437r%...KX1dSH6yWg
however, I haven't trouble with mp3 or similar...because no passthrough
Could you please test without pulseaudio?

AE_SINK=ALSA kodi

and retry?

(Edit: You need to select to proper output device manually now, please)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-02-22, 21:32)fritsch Wrote: Could you please test without pulseaudio?

AE_SINK=ALSA kodi

and retry?

(Edit: You need to select to proper output device manually now, please)

nope...same trouble Sad

I thank you for all your help and support, but I would like understand some points:

* Why you cannot preserve backward compatibility to "old" AVR? Like all others players (vlc, mplayer, dragonplayer, etc...) My AVR don't support the latest Dolby Atmos 5.1.2, DTS:X, TrueHD ...put with the fair DD and DTS have always works good
* If tomorrow I decide to buy another AVR, which specifics must have to works properly with Kodi?
* can I stop to hope some future fixing?

thanks again
We run on all standard avrs just fine. Do you know one besides yours that makes trouble?
I want avoid to buy a new AVR and have the same or another issue...I continue to not understand why my AVR not works (!?)

however, could you answer all my questions, please?
Quote:* Why you cannot preserve backward compatibility to "old" AVR? Like all others players (vlc, mplayer, dragonplayer, etc...) My AVR don't support the latest Dolby Atmos 5.1.2, DTS:X, TrueHD ...put with the fair DD and DTS have always works good

Sending plain zeros as we did before do keep NO avr on this planet alive. It looses the format instantly. That means possible klicks and blobs for a wide range of people as format negotiation will disturb bitstream. It's not about "compatibility", it's about your AVR worked by luck - pure luck.

Quote:* If tomorrow I decide to buy another AVR, which specifics must have to works properly with Kodi?
First try another SPDIF device as output.

Quote:* can I stop to hope some future fixing?

If your AVR vendor updates the FW of your AVR, you get a fix. Kodi does nothing wrong. You ask us: Could you please send a bit less green by default, cause my Display is too much green.
Hello,

I have the same audio issue as muttley. Just came out to the forums to see if there is a way to revert to Jarvis.

I am, and have been, running Ubuntu 16.04 and Jarvis worked great. This past weekend I stupidly didn't backup before running an 'apt dist-upgrade'. I now have Krypton with the same audio glitch/crackling on pause/play which is really nasty and hurtful on the ears! My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V995. (And please don't blame my receiver. Again, this exact system was working great before the dist-upgrade to Krypton.)

I also have a new video issue which wasn't present in Jarvis but I guess I will look first to see if I find a thread for that.

What more info do I need to provide?

Thanks!
So I figured out how to revert to Jarvis and all is working well again. No audio screech when starting/unpausing/seeking and no more video issues.

Btw, I did notice with Krypton and Jarvis, they both cause my receiver to display Pro Logic when seeking/paused (which makes sense since there is no active audio stream) and then Dolby Digital when playing again (digital content, of course), but there is no screech with Jarvis during the transitions.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio glitch/crackling on pause/play0