• 12(current)
Android MINIX NEO U9-H (64-bit Octa Core Amlogic S912-H/ 4K UHD HEVC, HDR, Dolby Audio)
After some more reading I‘m sure, the Minix U9 will do a good job for me.

Just for understanding:

I want to use the U9 with Libreelec only, I dont need Android.
The Android TV OS on my TV fits all my needs (Netflix in 4K).

So I can install Libreelec to a SD Card and the U9 boots straight into Libreelec as long as the Card is in slot?

When using Libreelec, there is no need to mess around with Android settings (framerate adaption, etc...), so I can leave them at default?
Yes you do not even need to use or set anything in Android if using LibreELEC. LE is a completely separate operating system.
Just make sure you get a fast microSDHC card.
Please read the following post that has a bunch of tips in it:

Choosing a S905 / S905X / S905D / S905W / S912 box guide (click)

thank you @wrxtasy

Did so and will do again!

I really appreciate your work & support!
Sry for bothering you, @wrxtasy :

When using Libreelec only, are there any settings / commands I have to enter via SSH / Terminal?
Especially when it comes to deep colour modes or 10 bit.
I read sth about it, but do not find the post anymore.

My TV can do this.
Yes... please read here.
So, if I get it right:

Default output of the Minix U9 with Libreelec is 8bit, to ensure to work with every display.
I can set it to 10bit (or whatever I like), if my TV supports it, via SSH before the first playback (and writing to autostart).

4:4:4 10bit should be right? Or 4:2:2 (4:2:0)?

*edit*

OK, reading & understanding are at least two pairs of shoes....

4:4:4 10bit is not supported with HDMI 2.0, 4:2:2 10 bit is also not supported.

My Display is a 10bit panel, so 12bit will not work.

So I think 4:2:0 10bit is the way to go with my Display?
(2018-02-27, 10:48)sw4y Wrote: So, if I get it right:

Default output of the Minix U9 with Libreelec is 8bit, to ensure to work with every display.
I can set it to 10bit (or whatever I like), if my TV supports it, via SSH before the first playback (and writing to autostart).

*edit*

Don't assume that your 10-bit display won't accept a 12-bit HDMI input. Most HDMI 2.0 displays I've come across accept 8-,10- and 12-bit sources, and then drop the LSBs that they can't display.
(2018-02-27, 10:48)sw4y Wrote: So, if I get it right:

*edit*

Don't assume that your 10-bit display won't accept a 12-bit HDMI input. Most HDMI 2.0 displays I've come across accept 8-,10- and 12-bit sources, and then drop the LSBs that they can't display.

My current panel is 10-bit, my previous panel was 8-bit, both accepted 12-bit.

Given that most SDR sources are 8-bit, and HDR-sources are 10-bit, there is not much 12-bit content to worry about - so carrying 10-bit content in a 12-bit signal to a 10-bit display could well be lossless and transparent anyway.
Thank you @noggin for your answer!

I'll give both options a try and report back!
So, my Minix U9 arrived today and I did a little testing (just an hour or so).

At first I would like to thank @wrxtasy for his recommendation of the Minix U9!
It's a brilliant piece of hardware that does an outstanding job when using Libreelec!

I'm using Kodi / XBMC since 9.04 (Babylon) with different hardware setups over the years.
I used Intel onboard setups for a while now with Milhouse x86 Builds and that was great (sometimes more - sometimes less).
But there were some kinks here - some kinks there.

I am really really surprised what this little Minix Box has to offer and I'm totally convinced that it will supersede my actual Intel setup.
So many things work like a charm and right from the start!

So again thank you @wrxtasy for your recommendation and the build you provided (patched kernel Krypton build from kzaq).
(2018-02-28, 18:36)sw4y Wrote: So, my Minix U9 arrived today and I did a little testing (just an hour or so).

At first I would like to thank @wrxtasy for his recommendation of the Minix U9!
It's a brilliant piece of hardware that does an outstanding job when using Libreelec!

I'm using Kodi / XBMC since 9.04 (Babylon) with different hardware setups over the years.
I used Intel onboard setups for a while now with Milhouse x86 Builds and that was great (sometimes more - sometimes less).
But there were some kinks here - some kinks there.

I am really really surprised what this little Minix Box has to offer and I'm totally convinced that it will supersede my actual Intel setup.
So many things work like a charm and right from the start!

So again thank you @wrxtasy for your recommendation and the build you provided (patched kernel Krypton build from kzaq).
Mine is arriving tomorrow Smile

Going to install LibreElec into my SD Card and hope everything goes smooth as expected
Image Image
I used an USB drive to test if everything is working as it should and then did an install to internal without a problem.

I don't need Android and Libreelec runs pretty good from internal nand.
(2018-02-28, 19:03)redglory Wrote: Mine is arriving tomorrow Smile

Going to install LibreElec into my SD Card and hope everything goes smooth as expected 
I have to agree, that this little box does run good. Only problem I had was with a Samsung SD card , switching to a scandisk card solved that. Other problem was getting my sources, which are on the network through my Unraid server. Once I added a new source and put IP in , all sources became available.  4k plays good along with anything else.  Only using the default skin, which seems to run as fast as my NUC, so no complaints on my end.
(2018-02-28, 19:11)sw4y Wrote: I used an USB drive to test if everything is working as it should and then did an install to internal without a problem.

Yes it's a pretty snappy setup unless you run really heavy, very CPU/GPU intensive Skins like Aeon NOX, I prefer Aeon Silvio anyway. Seems fine.

Thx. for confirmation you can install LE to internal eMMC using my S912 Nougat modded AML Linux Kernel update.
I may have further mods to come if I get time to add Kodi adjustable user Settings for Chroma and bit depth output i.e. 444,10bit

Away from home and the compiler for a while, so cannot do anything.

(2018-03-01, 04:24)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-02-28, 19:11)sw4y Wrote: I used an USB drive to test if everything is working as it should and then did an install to internal without a problem.

Yes it's a pretty snappy setup unless you run really heavy, very CPU/GPU intensive Skins like Aeon NOX, I prefer Aeon Silvio anyway. Seems fine.

Thx. for confirmation you can install LE to internal eMMC using my S912 Nougat modded AML Linux Kernel update.
I may have further mods to come if I get time to add Kodi adjustable user Settings for Chroma and bit depth output i.e. 444,10bit

Away from home and the compiler for a while, so cannot do anything. 
 I just wanted to say thanks for your build and the recommendations you've been giving for this box. I just switched over from an ChromeBox (i5, 8GB RAM) with LE to the Minix U9-H. I've got 5 other Chromeboxes still running perfectly, but I wanted my main room to have 4k capability and AC wifi so I needed to upgrade. After an initial struggle with the Minix box seeming slow as crap, I found that it was surprisingly the Samsung EVO+ SD card that was causing it. I installed your build to internal and it's running great now.
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MINIX NEO U9-H (64-bit Octa Core Amlogic S912-H/ 4K UHD HEVC, HDR, Dolby Audio)6