Win full volume streaming to DNLA
I love this program, im so happy about it, but there is this only glitch that is extremely annoying.. every time i play a video, movie or show, in my pc, and y click "play to" and select my smart tv, the video inmediately appear on the tv, but fro some reason with maximun volume.. i dont know why and i have tried everything in the settings... can anyone help with this issue? im running win7 and a samsung smart tv

thanks in advance

conde
Sounds like a problem with your tv.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Well i checked setting on my tv and couldnt find anuthing, also, using other servers from the tv I dont have volume issues (plex, serviio, play to) only with kodi.. and it is a shame since with kodi i cand find the movie in kodi itself, download subtitles and send to tv, but with 100 volume Sad.. today I did find a way, theres a setting icon in the video player window, and there i found audio settings, i can now lower the volume previous to send it to the tv, downside, in the pc is very low now.. but is something... since we are talking, doesnt kody play mkv?? it says not supported
Why are you doing this? Plug the computer into the TV via HDMI.

Also Kodi plays mkv (of course it does), your TV probably doesn't.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-03-01, 06:09)nickr Wrote: Sounds like a problem with your tv.

I don't know why you try so hard not to be helpfull. It's not a problem with his TV, it's probably something in the lines of working-as-meant-to-be. And that is because some safety measures weren't set up before.

(2017-02-28, 21:45)condeccs Wrote: I love this program, im so happy about it, but there is this only glitch that is extremely annoying.. every time i play a video, movie or show, in my pc, and y click "play to" and select my smart tv, the video inmediately appear on the tv, but fro some reason with maximun volume.. i dont know why and i have tried everything in the settings... can anyone help with this issue? im running win7 and a samsung smart tv

thanks in advance

conde

Here is what happens:
When you are using the "play to" option, kodi sends the file to your tv and also becomes a remote control that allows you to play/pause (etc) and control the volume.
Sometimes (at least the first play to whenever I start kodi for me), it sends only the file and fails to become a remote.
But whenever it succedes, for the kodi to be able to control the volume, it syncs kodi's volume with the dlna's (aka tv) volume.

(2017-03-01, 06:14)condeccs Wrote: Well i checked setting on my tv and couldnt find anuthing, also, using other servers from the tv I dont have volume issues (plex, serviio, play to) only with kodi.. and it is a shame since with kodi i cand find the movie in kodi itself, download subtitles and send to tv, but with 100 volume Sad.. today I did find a way, theres a setting icon in the video player window, and there i found audio settings, i can now lower the volume previous to send it to the tv, downside, in the pc is very low now.. but is something... since we are talking, doesnt kody play mkv?? it says not supported

Your solution is correct, and also helped me to find where those settings were hidden, but there is a simpler one.
You can use the minus (-) and plus (+) buttons at your keybord (you don't need SHIFT, and the ones at numpad also work) to reduce kodi's volume before selecting "play to", where ever you are (viewing a video or just browsing the interface).
And you can also use them (-/+) to control your TV's audio while the video is streaming.

(2017-03-01, 08:36)nickr Wrote: Why are you doing this? Plug the computer into the TV via HDMI.

Also Kodi plays mkv (of course it does), your TV probably doesn't.

If kodi was meant to be used only via HDMI, then why does it support DLNA?
As for the mkv you are probably right.

Now, while I said it is probably working-as-meant-to-be, I still think it should be altered. Something like the first-time sync changes kodi's volume with tv's volume instead and revert back whenever dlna remote control stops, or seperate audio control for dlna. At least that seems to be the way bubbleupnp works.
Imagine now, using the dlna of my hometheater in the middle of the night, with kodi to play a video. Even if the police doesn't come, I'll be in a tight position, as well as my hometheater Tongue
=11ptI completely agree marineos35. This isn’t typical behaviour for a DLNA remote to set volume when initiating playback of an audio or video file. Nearly blew my speakers and needed a change of underwear.

100% volume is recommended reference level for most Kodi playback operations over numerous outputs. I have had to use a separate Kodi box for DLNA playback just because of this very issue.

It would be great if we could remove the instruction and allow the endpoint to control the volume independent of Kodi's volume setting. Unless of course there is an advancedsettings.xml option.
Hello guys. Did you already find any solutions for this?
Using Kodi as a DLNA/uPNP server is pretty much an edge case use of the software, remember Kodi is designed to be run on the device connected directly to the display. 

There is other software that will work as a DLNA server which is probably more suitable than Kodi
Hi all, did anyone find a fix for this to NOT send the volume instruction to the TV when starting playback?
I am suffering from the same as the others in this thread, when the video starts to play on my Samsung TV the volume goes to 100% and the resulting sonic blast scares shits out of all living beings in a million mile radius in all parallel dimensions... It is surprising, how fast you can instantly remember any distant location where you might have misplaced the remote in such a motivating environment!
Here is a similar thread, where the advice is to change the "fvolume 1.00000" value, which does not prevent sending the volume instruction to the TV, but forces to send a custom volume level. This works for my Samsung Smart TV, but forces to use the same volume level at every play. So if I change the volume on the TV it disregards that and resets volume to the preset level.
Source: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=293264

according to that I did the followings:

In folder
"C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata"

I edited this file:
"guisettings.xml"

During the edit I replaced
"fvolume 1.00000"

with
"fvolume 0.20000"

resulting in a 20% initial volume level when playing via DLNA on my Samsung Smart TV initiated from Kodi on my PC.
Slight correction, it works, until I touch the volume controls in Kodi (Keypad Minus or Plus), as after changing the volume with those, the new volume setting will be sent to the Smart TV when initiating a play.
Long story short, it seems whatever your Kodi internal volume level is, the same will be set for the DLNA player Smart TV, so you can't have Kodi running on 100% volume on your PC and at the same time on 20% volume on the Smart TV, the volume value is universal.  

This is a design error from my point of view, as it is not reasonable to assume, that I want the volume to be remote-set on external devices. From my point of view, the volume instruction should not be sent at all in the first place, leaving the DLNA player Smart TV's volume setting intact. Similarly as - no matter what I set as Kodi's internal volume (Keypad minus/plus) - Kodi does not change my Windows volume settings when starting a video, it should not change the Smart TV's volume setting either.
(2022-01-01, 23:33)giny8i8 Wrote: This is a design error from my point of view

Maybe it is, but I don't think this part of the code has a maintainer.  At least, I don't recall seeing any changes to it in the last two years or so.  Therefore, it's probably going to need an interested third party to step up and make the required changes.
Learning Linux the hard way !!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
full volume streaming to DNLA0