KODI Player should have Cast facility
Still a relative Newbie but getting up to speed and have been comparing KODI to Plex.
I am surprised that KODI has not seen fit to incorporate a Cast facility into its Player, like that in the Plex Player - to avoid the need to utilise External Players and, better still, to incorporate a transcode facility to make streams suitable for Chromecast.

Could that go on the wish-list for a future version please.
Many people have asked. Not going to happen. Nor should it. Plug your kodi machine into your TV with your HDMI cable. No casting needed.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks for speedy response but rather puzzled by the tone of it. I get the impression that I have touched a sore spot ?
Displaying on a large TV is a natural thing to want to do.
Sure, one can do this from some mobile devices but others have no HDMI output for a cable so the only route then is by casting.
I don't understand the apparent objection to an inbuilt cast function.
I find the Plex one very useful
1) Kodi is meant to be run on a TV.
2) Cast has a very limited set of codecs. It's basically a chrome browser
3) Cast is meant for cloud streams, really

Bottom-line: Cast works fine with Plex because it has a central server with transcoding, which is not applicable to Kodi

There are 3rd party apps doing it though (Yatse, BubbleUpnp, ...)
Thanks for further comment. Apologies if I am being thick in understanding this.

You say "1) Kodi is meant to be run on a TV."

My understanding is that Kodi can be run on a number of platforms, e.g. Kodi Set-top Boxes, Windows PCs, Android Mobile Devices etc.

A normal TV however can not "run" anything since it is not a computer. The nearest thing I can think of which might resemble "running" on a TV is on a Firestick plugged into a TV. I have no experience of this but guess that any display is then directly on the TV.

However, I would guess that running on a mobile device is very common in which case my previous comments about casting to a TV are very relevant.
Yeah, I meant "displayed" on a TV, via an attached htpc/box/stick of any kind.
For your information, there are android TV that actually run Kodi, though Wink
Why would you even want to use a mobile phone screen to navigate around Kodi & cast it to your screen when you can spend a small amount of money & buy a box which sits under your TV & is controlled by a Remote Control? Not to mention the phone will be compromised from it's actual function of making and receiving calls. Makes no sense to me Smile
I think I said "Mobile Devices", which includes Tablets as well as Phones.
Whilst a small phone screen is, I agree, small for navigating round Kodi, a much bigger Tablet screen is ideal and, I find, very convenient for this purpose.
My (Hudl) Tablet does have an HDMI output but I guess not all tablets do and so users would need to cast.
Note that Kodi supports upnp, which is basically the "standard" way to cast, or was before Apple and Google decided to come with their own proprietary protocols (http://kodi.wiki/view/UPnP/Client)
Many (most?) smart TV support upnp those days...
This will work to any TV with a UPnP player that supports the file format to be played.

or just get a RPi.
So to summarize:
(1) Kodi will never support casting
(2) Kodi already supports casting
:-)
It doesn't support Chromecast. It supports playing on another instance of Kodi. It supports playing YouTube videos from an Android phone with kore or yatse installed.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Doesn't have to be another instance of Kodi, with detection of remote UPnP players enabled it should pick up any UPnP device under Play Using.
Yes and the trouble with upnp is that most devices only play a limited number of formats and codecs. It just turns out to be annoying.
Sure, just making clear it maybe an option is you are fortunate to a TV which supports a lot of formats over UPnP, or you may even have another device supporting UPnP already connected to the TV such as Xbox One.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
KODI Player should have Cast facility0