PC shutdown
Hello,

I've been running XBMC and Kodi for quite some time. Currently have Krypton version 17.0-RC3 Git:20170111-4d93228-dirty installed.

Over the last year or so, while running Kodi I've experienced PC shutdowns, where the PC shutdowns but does not normally power down.

The PC then reboots and everything becomes normal again from a couple weeks to several months. Can't say really the frequency, of shut downs, it more like months than weeks, but seem to remember a few times was perhaps a couple to a few weeks between shutdowns.

Shutdowns only occur while operating and running Kodi. The screen goes black and the PC shut's down and reboots. I don't remember the PC actually ever powering down, only a shutdown and reboot.

I know some people may say something going on outside of Kodi with the OS. However I've been running this os (Windows Vista Ultimate x64) for years without this sort of problem, that has only occurred, while running and operating Kodi. IIRC usually occurs when starting to play a video, the screen all of sudden goes black never actually producing any video and the PC shuts down.

I thought perhaps it was Kodi Power controls? However, all the power functions and screen savers are disabled and have never been used since I first installed XBMC years ago.

Sort of strange, happens so infrequently I haven't mentioned the problem before.

I remember the problem started with Kodi and I believe Krypton as I don't recall this sort of problem with Jarvis or any previous versions of XBMC.
I'd start in the Windows Event Viewer, then running something like BlueScreenView and then a Kodi Debug Log.
(2017-03-14, 11:45)beeswax Wrote: I'd start in the Windows Event Viewer, then running something like BlueScreenView and then a Kodi Debug Log.

Happened again, this time there was no shutdown or reboot. Upon running Kodi and selecting Add-Ons the monitor screen went black and the monitor lost connection to the PC. PC light was On but did nothing. After waiting several mins I powered down the PC so it would reboot.

Upon reboot:

Event Viewer - Found WMI error under: Windows Log > Application

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Possibly the problem is related to this error in the Kodi log file about DirectX 11 Video Acceleration API.

The problem appears to be video driver related and perhaps video monitor related, as the monitor beside going black has also lost any connection to the PC.

08:29:30.160 T:3372 NOTICE: CRenderSystemDX::CreateDevice - Your video driver doesn't support DirectX 11 Video Acceleration API. Application is not be able to use hardware video processing and decoding

Kodi Log

http://pastebin.com/jm7KujQ4
I have experience this issue a few times, the usual issue was pushing the cpu until the internal hardware protection halted all operation = full crash to bottom. The same thing with overclocking my graphic card. Use a GPU monitor to watch the cards temperature and record it to a file, and it might also be smart to watch the CPU temps too. If the graphic card is swamped and you have a lot of dust bunnies you will see this kind of behaviour, not just anomalies but a full shut down. Please don't post log files in the forum, and if you're posting a log make it complete.
(2017-03-14, 18:10)PatK Wrote: I have experience this issue a few times, the usual issue was pushing the cpu until the internal hardware protection halted all operation = full crash to bottom. The same thing with overclocking my graphic card. Use a GPU monitor to watch the cards temperature and record it to a file, and it might also be smart to watch the CPU temps too. If the graphic card is swamped and you have a lot of dust bunnies you will see this kind of behaviour, not just anomalies but a full shut down. Please don't post log files in the forum, and if you're posting a log make it complete.

Ok, thanks. Will look into op temperatures for GPU and CPU. The PC an older Thinkcentre running Windows Vista x64.

I think it's odd that the problem only exists when running and operating Kodi. The problem appears to be GPU related.

I've owned and operated PCs for more than 35 years. Performing various types of installations and upgrades, resolving conflicts, troubleshooting, etc. In the past I've had PC's shut down for no reason.

This problem has only existed while running and operating Kodi. So at least part of the problem is Kodi related. Since the PC is older running an older OS Other parts of this problem may be related to the PC's age and condition.

Kodi running just fine most of the time, so I don't know how much time I'm willing to put into troubleshooting to find actual reasons behind the problem(s).
I missed the earlier message with 'Windows Vista Ultimate x64' as your o/s,and Currently have Krypton version 17.0-RC3 Git:20170111-4d93228-dirty installed. is a customized build, is this the only version that works for you? 17.1rc might solve a few things. Kudos for still using it, but 15 years later might be time to move along if Kodi means much to you. From the wiki's. OS minimum to run Kodi: Windows Vista. OS recommended: Windows 7 or higher
(2017-03-14, 21:53)PatK Wrote: I missed the earlier message with 'Windows Vista Ultimate x64' as your o/s,and Currently have Krypton version 17.0-RC3 Git:20170111-4d93228-dirty installed. is a customized build, is this the only version that works for you? 17.1rc might solve a few things. Kudos for still using it, but 15 years later might be time to move along if Kodi means much to you. From the wiki's. OS minimum to run Kodi: Windows Vista. OS recommended: Windows 7 or higher

I currently have two laptops and two PC's. Vista first arrived on the market 30 January 2007 so is around 10 years old. Vista is MS Windows build version 6.0.xxxx and Windows 7 is MS Windows build version 6.1.xxxx, first arrived on the market July 2009.

Windows 8 very similar to Windows 10, is more of an upgrade, first arrived onto the market October 25, 2012. Imo is more of an upgrade going from Windows 7 to 8 or 10 than going from Vista to Windows 7.

What developers ideally would need to do if having problems developing their software's to be backward compatible would to develop different software versions that run better under different OS versions.

However this hasn't been the trend as many software developers are just abandoning older Windows versions partially because of high volume sales of new PCs using hardware architectures more adaptable to more recent Windows OS versions.

Even though there's currently plenty of Windows 7 users it too will eventually be abandoned by software developers, perhaps sooner than later.

Even though I've never made any money on PCs. I estimate I have over a million dollars invested in both time and money into computers and related equipment. I suppose this is so because computer technology has always been more of an interest to me than just making money. Which is currently the trend, if you can't make a dollar on something then it becomes abandoned and thrown away, I guess this is part of planned obsolescence.

Not many years ago products were produced to last around 30 years and longer. Today most products are designed and produced to last sometime past their warranty.

So people are just more or less recycling vs repairing. Fewer products are repairable when not many years ago it was part of a products design that a product could be easily repaired at a reasonable cost.

This planned obsolescence just throwing items out possibly to recycle is true of many products found in the modern home, automobiles, refrigerators, freezers, washing machines, kitchen appliances, toasters, hand tools, power tools, television sets, stereo equipment, and one of the newer additions to the home the PC.
I pretty much agree with your assessment, although if you want to run the new versions you'll have to adapt or stick with what you have. I've still got an XP system running Dharma, but I'll not waste my time trying to pull it into later versions. Kodi developers are a rare breed, working at code for the love of the project is pretty rare and how they see the future is how we'll progress into the future. The road map and users are more or less a secondary concern, I'm just plain happy that most of the software dovetails with my interests
Another reason to upgrade....

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/24...ost-no-one
(2017-03-15, 01:05)PatK Wrote: I pretty much agree with your assessment, although if you your want to run the new versions you'll have to adapt or stick with what you have. I've still got an XP system running Dharma, but I'll not waste my time trying to pull it into later versions. Kodi developers are a rare breed, working at code for the love of the project is pretty rare and how they see the future is how we'll progress into the future. The road map and users are more or less a secondary concern, I'm just plain happy that most of the software dovetails with my interests.

I think your right. Though Krypton will run under Windows Vista, I think it's primarily designed to run under more popular versions of Windows such as version 7 and higher. Kodi development is already taking advantage of features found in Windows 8 and 10.

I use Kodi pretty much for streaming video using Kodi add-ons without needing a browser. I first started using the Internet when there wasn't a www Internet. It hadn't yet been conceived. Most institutions had sysop managed mainframes with access to the Intranet. Users would operate from either dumb terminals or remote pcs using 150 baud modem for Intranet access.

The current Internet is many ways is slower than the old Intranet with fewer users and no graphics requiring huge amounts of memory and bandwidth.

Today If you share e.g. 150 Mbps Internet connection with more than a few users. by a few I mean less than a half dozen (even though the ISP may show a 150 Mbps connection is able to handle 6-8 Devices.) The connection becomes nearly unusable, you can be assured the connection won't be reliable and consistent.

So even if you do upgrade your PC doesn't assure good Internet access. Which often requires a dedicated line, that consistently stays at around 25 Mbps and higher. Higher rated connections such as 150 Mbps that are shared locally often don't do so good and aren't consistent. Produce even worse performance when using a www browser, partially because of all the advertising and various scripting site have now-a-days. Sites such as e.g. eBay have become steadily worse as they have added alot of new features that require scripts to be run in the background, using more memory, and more often than not become stuck.

Firefox which use to be a good browser is abandoning Vista and XP, has become more of a memory hog with more windows open, runs at times worse than the iexplorer.

Firefox only produces a 32 bit browser. I'm not certain if Firefox will actually produce a 64-bit browser.

Anyway I'll stay with Vista until unable to function any more, then switch to a whole new PC with Windows 8 or 10.

I can possibly run a Kodi Linux from another USB drive with Linux x64 installed. Linux Kodi hasn't ever produced problems with the PC.
Well, the problem has occurred four times in a row within hours vs weeks and months.

After installing Krypton version 17.1_rc1 the same shut down problem occurred

Upon reboot the kodi profile folder was re-named, starting Kodi Krypton with a new profile.

Kodi ran for a while then all of sudden the screen became black and PC shutdown occurred again while performing menu functions within Kodi.

I'll try installing Jarvis to see if it produces the same results.

What I'm going to need to do is move the Vista Installation HD to a backup PC with the same brand and model number.

Then test Kodi under Vista running on the second, backup PC. If the same problem occurs then I'm more certain the problem lies somewhere with Kodi and the Vista installation (w/ latest ms service packs)

I'm also trying other versions of Krypton from the nightly builds. I see Kodi Krypton along with other versions with x64 as part of the filename.

While trying to install e.g. KodiSetup-20170314-93e9d695bf-feature_win64.exe I receive an error message platform update for windows (KB971644) is required.

However (KB971644) isn't available for download, from what I understand is only available via windows update, of which it hasn't yet been displayed as a download option.
You know, all that posting and rambling and yet I haven't seen you post a debug log showing your banned addons. Funny how you yanked out the addons section of your other NON debug log as well.
(2017-03-15, 15:58)helta Wrote: You know, all that posting and rambling and yet I haven't seen you post a debug log showing your banned addons. Funny how you yanked out the addons section of your other NON debug log as well.

You're an imbecile.
Lets see the log
(2017-03-15, 16:11)User-3023 Wrote:
(2017-03-15, 15:58)helta Wrote: You know, all that posting and rambling and yet I haven't seen you post a debug log showing your banned addons. Funny how you yanked out the addons section of your other NON debug log as well.

You're an imbecile.

So why don't you provide the link to a "non edited" log?

Let me guess: I'm an imbecile too!
Moanbag is in da place!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PC shutdown1