Twin hdmi out or hdmi splitter
(2017-03-22, 22:28)jramakrishnan Wrote:
(2017-03-22, 02:21)noggin Wrote: Are you suggesting that you feed your C2 into an HDMI splitter - with one output going to an HDMI 2.0 4K display and one output going to an HDMI 1.4 AVR? If so then that will limit both connections to HDMI 1.4 - as you will need to feed the same signal to both devices, and the amp only supports HDMI 1.4, so that is what the splitter will ask the ODroid to output. (HDMI splitters usually interrogate the EDID of all displays, and work on a lowest common denominator to signal the source). You may as well connect your ODroid to your TV via your AVR - it will do the same thing.

(HDMI carries audio and video in one combined digital signal - the audio is embedded in the video signal in the blanking portions, it isn't carried separately or on separate pins that could be split off. (*))

(*) Ignoring the grafted on ARC (Audio return channel - which sends audio the 'wrong' way down an HDMI cable,

Didn't realise a splitter will output only the same signal to both :-( Yes, I explored the ARC but it is rudimentary at best and I would like to get DTS HD-MA / Dolby True HD. After being spoilt with HD audio can not think of turning the clock back a few years.
Will a Kaby Lake NUC solve the problem for me? I understand Kabylake NUC has a DP and a HDMI 1.4 out. Can I use the DP to feed directly the 4K TV (with a DP to hdmi coverter) and another hdmi cable from the NUC to feed the audio directly to av-receiver?

Thank you all for your help so far :-) Appreciate it.

Yes - I believe you can do the dual-output route from a Kaby Lake (or Apollo Lake - which may be more cost effective) with HDMI 1.4 feeding your amp (with HD Audio) and HDMI 2.0 feeding your display. Dual display set-ups are always a bit funky, but I think it should work.

I have a Skylake box with dual video outputs - if I get time this weekend I'll give it a go (I have an HDMI 1.4 amp and an HDMI 2.0 TV - but don't have any need to routinely play UHD content from Kodi at the moment. All my UHD sources are 'Smart TV' in my TV)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Twin hdmi out or hdmi splitter - by noggin - 2017-03-23, 00:01
Twin hdmi out or hdmi splitter - by Canyaya - 2017-03-22, 05:59
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Twin hdmi out or hdmi splitter0