Where is the file "delete" option??
On my Windoze 7 system, I've got Kodi 16.1 installed, and I've noticed that it has a very helpful feature... If/when I am browsing in a directory full of video files, I can right click on any one of them and up will pop a little menu which includes an option to delete the file in question. (I've actually used this a lot lately.)

Meanwhile, over on my Ubuntu Linux system, it had Kodi 15.2 installed and I noticed that this (file delete) option was missing from the exact same Confluence menu.

I figured that the delete file option was probably missing (on my Linux system) because perhaps it was only added to Kodi after the 15.x series. So I upgraded my Kodi on my Linux system.

I just now installed Kodi 17.0 on my Ubuntu system, switched it over/back to using Confluence, checked the right-click menu for video files and it still does not have a delete file option like the one that is available in Kodi16/Confluence on Windows 7.

So, um, what gives? How come that option is available on Windoze but not on Linux?
Change your file list option to allow file delete
(2017-04-03, 23:06)hakmawongzi Wrote: Change your file list option to allow file delete

OK, two things....

First, thank you for bringing this to my attention. This is yet another Kodi option that I never even knew existed until now.

Second,, let me just say that it took me awhile to find where the option you were talking about had moved to, i.e. in the latest version of Confluence, because, it appears, the Kodi Wiki may perhaps be seriously out-of-date.

Please consider the following screen shot, as shown in/on the Kodi Wiki:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Appearance#File_lists

Quite obviously, this is showing us the old default Confluence skin. (This makes me wonder about how many zillions of pages in the Wiki have not yet been updated to reflect the new default Kodi skin for Kodi 17, i.e. Estuary and/or the latest incarnation of Confluence.)

The bottom line is that whereas the Kodi Wiki is still showing the option / radio button in question ("Allow file renaming and deletion") as being present under Settings->Apperance->File lists, in fact, these days it has apparently been moved far far away, to Settings->Media->General.

That having been noted, I thank you again, hakmawongzi, for telling me about this option, which, as I've said, I didn't even know existed until today. (And frankly, I question the value of it. Why would anyone even want to hobble the Kodi user interface by deliberately disabling UI capabilities? That makes no real sense to me.)
that option has been in kodi for YEARS and its there so people who dont know what their doing cant delete something its nice to have options like this, then advanced users can choose

If your able to update the wiki im sure everyone would benefit id love to do it myself but other commitments dont allow it.
(2017-04-04, 01:04)ronbaby Wrote: That having been noted, I thank you again, hakmawongzi, for telling me about this option, which, as I've said, I didn't even know existed until today. (And frankly, I question the value of it. Why would anyone even want to hobble the Kodi user interface by deliberately disabling UI capabilities? That makes no real sense to me.)
I wouldn't if I was the only one who used it.
If I'm handing a remote to someone who's likely to dribble on it I'd rather they're not two clicks away from deleting files.
yeah my kids kodi box has this option and many others disabled troggy Smile
(2017-04-04, 15:08)trogggy Wrote:
(2017-04-04, 01:04)ronbaby Wrote: That having been noted, I thank you again, hakmawongzi, for telling me about this option, which, as I've said, I didn't even know existed until today. (And frankly, I question the value of it. Why would anyone even want to hobble the Kodi user interface by deliberately disabling UI capabilities? That makes no real sense to me.)
I wouldn't if I was the only one who used it.
If I'm handing a remote to someone who's likely to dribble on it I'd rather they're not two clicks away from deleting files.

It's an interesting point. I'm still not sure that i am persuaded of the value of this option.

In my own personal case, all of my content is sitting on an NFS file server, which is in a whole separate room from where my Kodi HTPC (and my flatscreen) are located.

I only mention this because I am thinking: If I want to protect a set of files so that some naive users with access to my Kodi HTPC box can't delete them, maybe the simpler, more precise, and more minimalist/elegant way to do that is to just go onto the NFS file server and set permissions/ownership on the relevant directory/directories so that the directories themselves are read-only for user/group/world, as appropriate.

logically, one would think that this would be both adequate and effective, thus eliminating the need for Kodi to contain any special controls over this functionality at all, but...

Caveats and Quirks:

*) Obviously, in order to make protection from deletion/renaming work properly, e.g. on an NFS or SMB file server, the person administering that file server has to kinda know what they are doing, at least a little bit. But it isn't fundamentally hard to do.

*) I just now performed a simple experiment where I enabled this option (allow file delete/rename) over on my second desktop system (running Ubuntu 16.04 + the latest Kodi 17) and then I tried to delete a file on my NFS fileserver which was in a directory owned by some different user-ID than the one I was logged in as on the Ubuntu system, and where the permissions of the directory were set to 0755 (directory write enabled only for directory owner). Right clicking on the test file brought up the menu which now included Delete as an option, of course, but when I clicked on that (and then confirmed that yes, I really did want to delete the file), nothing happened. The file was not deleted, and no error or warning message ensued.

The fact that the file was not deleted is entirely appropriate under these circumstances, of course. This is exactly how it should work and demonstrates the point that protecting files from deletion is/was already well within the capabilities of either NFS or SMB file servers (and that it is thus redundant to implement this kind of protection in Kodi also). The troubling part is that when file deletion from within Kodi, fails, e.g. due to permissions, it appears that there is no code within Kodi that's even checking the return code from the unlink() call and/or which would provide the end luser with some helpful message along the lines of "Sorry dude, but that operation failed due to permission settings".

(In fact, I'm somewhat surprised that there have been no naive users who have popped up in these fora and posted to say "Hey! I clicked to delete this file and nothing happened! What's up with that??)

I guess that I'll file a formal bugreport in the tracker suggesting that the return code from unlink() be checked and that if failure occurs, the user should be shown some helpful message noting the failure.
(2017-04-04, 22:07)ronbaby Wrote: (In fact, I'm somewhat surprised that there have been no naive users who have popped up in these fora and posted to say "Hey! I clicked to delete this file and nothing happened! What's up with that??)
Right here. Wink
(2017-04-04, 22:20)trogggy Wrote:
(2017-04-04, 22:07)ronbaby Wrote: (In fact, I'm somewhat surprised that there have been no naive users who have popped up in these fora and posted to say "Hey! I clicked to delete this file and nothing happened! What's up with that??)
Right here. Wink
Cute, but that was a report of an entirely different problem, i.e. the delete & rename options being entirely missing altogether (apparently by default, which is itself a rather dubious choice, IMHO).
You obviously found them the first time and then forgot about the option.
More seriously, though, which is better...
someone can't delete a file so wastes 5 minutes figuring out how to turn the option on...
or someone loses their entire media collection because they didn't realise oblivion was only a few random remote clicks away?
(2017-04-04, 15:10)Derek Wrote: yeah my kids kodi box has this option and many others disabled troggy Smile

^^^This.

The amount of times that 'it has gone wrong,' and almost every time a button that shouldn't have been pressed has been, is unbelievable.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
I can only reiterate three of the points I've already made, and add a final fourth:

1) The implementation, in Kodi, of a (belt & suspenders) extra layer of file protection is entirely redundant with the protections available in modern filesystems. (I personally am not a fan of redundant implementations of pre-existing capabilities.)

2) This feature (file deletion & renaming) in Kodi wouldn't appear to be so bad (to me personally) if not for the fact that it is, apparently, enabled by default. (This is a matter of taste. In my personal opinion, this is sort-of like the Microsoft way of doing things, i.e. do not trust the end user, but instead hide everything that could potentially be dangerous, and wrap all sharp corners in rubber. My own personal preferences run in the opposite direction. But that's just me.)

3) This feature (file deletion & renaming) in Kodi wouldn't appear to be so bad (to me personally) if not for the fact that is apparently somewhat incompletely implemented, specifically that lack of any failure notifications.

4) Backups are often useful, sometimes even in the utter absence of irresponsible children.
(2017-04-06, 00:43)ronbaby Wrote: 4) Backups are often useful, sometimes even in the utter absence of irresponsible children.
What a great idea - how did I ever miss that one...
this is a crazy thread its one click to enable it live with it or compile your own kodi with the option enabled as this has been the case for a long long time.
(2017-04-07, 20:49)Derek Wrote: this is a crazy thread...

Not entirely, I think.

Yes, with the source code available, it is always easy to undo a bad choice on the part of the implementors. That fact alone does not magically transmute bad choices into good ones however.

(As I've said, all this functionality is redundant with filesystem capabilities anyway, and thus, arguably, superfluous.)

Also, I'm not sure that I qualify as being "crazy" for having pointed out that the implementation of file delete/rename, even when enabled, is rather incomplete and suboptimal due to the apparent utter lack of checking for failure status return codes (and thus, failure to notify the user in any way when failures do occur).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Where is the file "delete" option??0