Home movies
How does kodi deal with home made movies and movies that are not in a imdb data base.
I have them in the same folder as all my other movies as a example they are in movies\home movies\Day at the beach.mp4.
I understand there will be no artwork but Kodi does not find them or display them in the movie title screen.
How do I get them included in the database.

I also have the issue that some of my tv shows are not found in the database , is this because of naming conventions as an example I have - Leesa\BBC - Planet Earth\BBC.Planet.Earth.1of5.From.Pole.to.Pole.XviD.MP3.www.MVGroup.org.avi and they are not found.

Do I need to go through and name them something different , I setup the folder Leesa to be tv shows and the folder movies to be movies , the search found most of the shows and movies but not my own ones.
Quote:I have them in the same folder as all my other movies as a example they are in movies\home movies\Day at the beach.mp4.

It would be better if you put your home movies in a separate folder, and not mixed in with the mainstream movies.

Instead of having them here... movies\home movies\Day at the beach.mp4 (in this case "movies" is the source directory for Kodi)

You should have them here... Home Movies\Day at the beach\Day at the beach.mp4 (in this case "Home Movies" is the source directory for Kodi)

When you set up the Source for Home Movies, you should still set "This folder contains... Movies" and you should set the "Information Provider as Local Information Only"

Quote:I understand there will be no artwork but Kodi does not find them or display them in the movie title screen.

If you want them to appear in the Library (Movies Tab), you will need to create nfo files. These are files that contain information about the video. They are very easy to create and you can use the program located at this link...
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=142723

This program will allow you to add fanart, posters, descriptions etc... just as if you scraped it like a normal movie. Because of these extra files and pictures that will be added, you will need your video file in its own directory, which is why I added an extra directory in the example above. (in bold)

Quote: Leesa\BBC - Planet Earth\BBC.Planet.Earth.1of5.From.Pole.to.Pole.XviD.MP3.www.MVGroup.org.avi

Yep, that is never going to work. You need to have a read of naming conventions first...

http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_management

Go to paragraph 1.1 and select which you are trying to name- Movies or TV Shows. (Best if you read both)

Then you need to go to the scraper site to ensure your name matches their name

Scraper for TV Shows... http://thetvdb.com/
Scraper for Movies... https://www.themoviedb.org/

Hope this helps
BBC.Planet.Earth.1of5.From.Pole.to.Pole.XviD.MP3.www.MVGroup.org.avi needs to be changed to BBC.Planet.Earth.S01E01.From.Pole.to.Pole.XviD.MP3.www.MVGroup.org.avi
BBC.Planet.Earth.S01E02.From.Pole.to.Pole.XviD.MP3.www.MVGroup.org.avi
BBC.Planet.Earth.S01E03.From.Pole.to.Pole.XviD.MP3.www.MVGroup.org.avi
BBC.Planet.Earth.S01E04.From.Pole.to.Pole.XviD.MP3.www.MVGroup.org.avi
BBC.Planet.Earth.S01E05.From.Pole.to.Pole.XviD.MP3.www.MVGroup.org.avi

and be sure to rename all other like so. If you do this manually, then open up thetvdb.com and use it as a reference for each show. The process is simple, but depending on your library could take a while. An app called Filebot will do this for you. Kodi must have episodes in this format, S0#E0#, and they must match what is at thetvfb.com

As for the home movies, you can do many things, the one I like is to set them all up as music videos, that way they will be seperete and who uses music videos anyway. Otherwise you can create a smart playlist for them. Either way you would need to have info files generated. Music Videos Nfo, or Media Companion would be the best choice of an automated application to use depending on the method you wish to pursue.

As for the images, irfanview would be the best bet, you can trim down the images that are created using Music Videos Nfo, or Media Companion, or you may choose to use VLC, or there is also Video Thumbnail Creator. Either of these will create screenshots of the video, then you can trim them to your liking. Besure to rename them to the poster.jpg or fanart.jpg that you desire.
Of course the scraper will never find your own films as they are not in any meta-database. Most of the library issues revolve around nomenclature, in the case of Planet earth... My episodes scrapes fine with " Planet Earth.S01E01.Pole to Pole.avi " (without the quotes) note you need to place TV series in a different source than your Movies, it's just a prerequisite of Kodi and how the library is handled. Treating " Planet Earth" as a TV series Naming video files/TV shows (wiki) They follow the naming convention laid out in TVdb for episodes. This might seem laborious, but using TheRenamer (wiki) I find that's it's drag & drop easy. In some cases the date in parenthesis aids the scraper if there should be multiple movies with the same name.

Folder name "Planet Earth"
Planet Earth.S01E01.Pole to Pole.avi
Planet Earth.S01E02.Mountains.avi
Planet Earth.S01E03.Fresh Water.avi
etc.

Keep your home movies in a separate source folder, the contents of this folder will have to be handled in a slightly different way. Custom video entries (wiki) You can make your own custom .nfo files as per the wiki, (third party library managers are also great for this, but there is a learning curve). or simply exclude the source path from library updates and use file mode to look at the videos (note: even in file mode without a scraper, your covers and background art will show up if you have jpegs properly named artwork (wiki)

As a last note: some TV Series can be treated as a Movie set, Planet Earth is an example of this, but you'll find the TV series meta-data is much more informative.
(2017-04-09, 00:21)blossom24 Wrote:
Quote:I have them in the same folder as all my other movies as a example they are in movies\home movies\Day at the beach.mp4.

It would be better if you put your home movies in a separate folder, and not mixed in with the mainstream movies.

Instead of having them here... movies\home movies\Day at the beach.mp4 (in this case "movies" is the source directory for Kodi)

You should have them here... Home Movies\Day at the beach\Day at the beach.mp4 (in this case "Home Movies" is the source directory for Kodi)

When you set up the Source for Home Movies, you should still set "This folder contains... Movies" and you should set the "Information Provider as Local Information Only"

Quote:I understand there will be no artwork but Kodi does not find them or display them in the movie title screen.

If you want them to appear in the Library (Movies Tab), you will need to create nfo files. These are files that contain information about the video. They are very easy to create and you can use the program located at this link...
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=142723

This program will allow you to add fanart, posters, descriptions etc... just as if you scraped it like a normal movie. Because of these extra files and pictures that will be added, you will need your video file in its own directory, which is why I added an extra directory in the example above. (in bold)

Quote: Leesa\BBC - Planet Earth\BBC.Planet.Earth.1of5.From.Pole.to.Pole.XviD.MP3.www.MVGroup.org.avi

Yep, that is never going to work. You need to have a read of naming conventions first...

http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_management

Go to paragraph 1.1 and select which you are trying to name- Movies or TV Shows. (Best if you read both)

Then you need to go to the scraper site to ensure your name matches their name

Scraper for TV Shows... http://thetvdb.com/
Scraper for Movies... https://www.themoviedb.org/

Hope this helps

Thanks for that , tiny media manager solved all my issues
Good to hear Big Grin
@Berrigan
Did you get your BBC series to work i have never been able to get this one to work, have to make my own nfo files to get it to show anything
Human Planet [Disc 1 - Oceans Deserts Arctic]
Human Planet [Disc 2 - Jungles Mountains Grasslands]
Human Planet [Disc 3 - Rivers Cities Extras]

"Info"
Danish law on backing up your own Movies to your HD is different then in the US
You may backup your movies for your personal viewing only "your eyes only" "1 copy"
You may not break the "protection" on the media
We pay a extra fee on DVD and CD in Denmark, maintained by Copy-Dan.
English is not my native language; please excuse typing errors.
Grampa Simpson: Unfortunately, like all true stories, this one has a crappy ending. You have a story with an ending.
Grampa, are you sure you're okay to drive at night? Grampa: It's night?
Banned add-ons
@kimkl

Human Planet\Human Planet S01E01
Human Planet\Human Planet S01E02
Human Planet\Human Planet S01E03
etc

Have you tried the above method? I had no problem with it.
(2017-04-10, 08:15)blossom24 Wrote: @kimkl

etc

Ill give that a shot, its my "legal in Denmark" bought backup program that makes the folder naming, so it works with the mymovies scraper "but it never works for that one" Big Grin
But ill give it a shoot thx m8
Grampa Simpson: Unfortunately, like all true stories, this one has a crappy ending. You have a story with an ending.
Banned add-ons
I use a program called Filebot, that is very good at tidying up all the filenames of content so they will be properly recognised by Kodi (and any other apps you have that will index them)
(2017-04-10, 08:15)blossom24 Wrote: @kimkl

etc

Well i got it working with Disc 1 but not disc 2 and 3, using your advise, but thx anyway.
Its not a big problem and we better keep to the posters topic, or else Big Grin
Banned add-ons
OK so with home movies and cover art...Would Kodi read the metadata from the .mp4 file and use it like it reads it from MP3 files? Because you can use MP3Tag (free software) to add your own art to the file as metadata and it works reasonably fast...like about 3-4 seconds to add the cover art to the mp4 file.
For my home movies, I use the pictures tab in Kodi. Not pretty but it works.

Sent from my Nexus 6
(2017-04-10, 15:19)flhthemi Wrote: OK so with home movies and cover art...Would Kodi read the metadata from the .mp4 file and use it like it reads it from MP3 files? Because you can use MP3Tag (free software) to add your own art to the file as metadata and it works reasonably fast...like about 3-4 seconds to add the cover art to the mp4 file.
Alas, that method is not supported but discussed, unfortunately standards have never been set.

The information if exported from the library is stored with the movie_name.nfo file which can be manipulated and pulled back into the library with a local refresh.
(2017-04-10, 07:51)kimkl Wrote: @Berrigan
Did you get your BBC series to work i have never been able to get this one to work, have to make my own nfo files to get it to show anything
Human Planet [Disc 1 - Oceans Deserts Arctic]
Human Planet [Disc 2 - Jungles Mountains Grasslands]
Human Planet [Disc 3 - Rivers Cities Extras]

"Info"
Danish law on backing up your own Movies to your HD is different then in the US
You may backup your movies for your personal viewing only "your eyes only" "1 copy"
You may not break the "protection" on the media
We pay a extra fee on DVD and CD in Denmark, maintained by Copy-Dan.

Yes I got them imported fine , I had to use tinymedia and get it to search for planet earth not BBC planet earth

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Home movies0