crashes playing music (can't disable visualization)
Running Kodi 17.1 under win10 just fine for some time now, but then I decided to try music visualization.
I had no visualizations, so I went to "My Addons" and enabled the six visualizations I found there. (Milkdrop 1/2, Shadertoy, Spectrum, Vortex, Waveform).
I was seeing some visualizations playing music, although Kodi seemed more sluggish to respond to keys.

I think the real problem might have started when I tried Vortex. Video still works, but if I play an audio file, the file plays to completion and then Kodi crashes. It also crashes if I try to do anything other than change the volume while the audio file is playing. (Windows reports that Kodi is unresponsive.)

So in Settings/Interface/Screensaver I disabled "Use Visualization if playing audio" and under "My Addons" I disabled all the visualizations except Vortex. (That's because for that particular one, the "Disable" button is grayed out. So I can't disable Vortex). However the crashes still happen!

Is there any way I can fix this without reinstalling Kodi from scratch?

~Paul
A debug log is needed to see what is happening in the background

Instructions are here... http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Easy

Turn on debugging in settings>system>logging, restart Kodi, then replicate the problem so it crashes. Upload file to pastebin and paste the pastebin link here.
Ok, I see that the logging information on the upper left stops when Kodi crashes. I didn't get the pastbin popup so I just copied the log file to pastbin manually.

Here is the URL:
https://pastebin.ca/3801256

On this particular occasion it seemed to crash almost as soon as I started playing the video file. Sometimes it takes longer however and sometimes it can even play more than one file before crashing.

Thanks
~Paul
Code:
192.16:28:34.184 T:12204  NOTICE: CAESinkWASAPI::EnumerateDevicesEx: stream type "STREAM_TYPE_DTSHD" on device "SONY TV (Intel(R) Display Audio)" seems to be not supported.
193.16:28:34.185 T:12204  NOTICE: CAESinkWASAPI::EnumerateDevicesEx: stream type "STREAM_TYPE_TRUEHD" on device "SONY TV (Intel(R) Display Audio)" seems to be not supported.
194.16:28:34.185 T:12204  NOTICE: CAESinkWASAPI::EnumerateDevicesEx: stream type "STREAM_TYPE_EAC3" on device "SONY TV (Intel(R) Display Audio)" seems to be not supported.
195.16:28:34.185 T:12204  NOTICE: CAESinkWASAPI::EnumerateDevicesEx: stream type "STREAM_TYPE_DTS" on device "SONY TV (Intel(R) Display Audio)" seems to be not supported.
196.16:28:34.187 T:12204  NOTICE: CAESinkWASAPI::EnumerateDevicesEx: sample rate 192khz on device "SONY TV (Intel(R) Display Audio)" seems to be not supported.

973 16:29:00.740 T:7480   DEBUG: FactoryCodec - Audio: passthrough - Opening
974.16:29:00.740 T:7480   DEBUG: FactoryCodec - Audio: passthrough - Failed

I noticed the above. Have you posted about this before? I have seen this exact same thing in the last week.

I think it has something to do with the way you have set up your audio settings in Kodi. Maybe check those?
(2017-04-23, 02:19)blossom24 Wrote: I noticed the above. Have you posted about this before? I have seen this exact same thing in the last week.
I think it has something to do with the way you have set up your audio settings in Kodi. Maybe check those?

No this was my first attempt to save a log file (and the first time I have seen Kodi crash).

Also I have not modified or even checked any audio settings.
I suspected the visualizations because this was the last thing I was playing with when it stopped working.
Do you think that was just a coincidence?

~Paul
Quote:Do you think that was just a coincidence?
I am only speculating, but I would say yes. I didn't see anything amiss with Visualisations in the Log, but maybe other users, more experienced in reading logs, might spot something.

How do you have your system setup?

Kodi directly to TV or is it through an AVReceiver/Amp?
HDMI cables, or optical or other?

Quote: Also I have not modified or even checked any audio settings.
Well there is a big warning sign.

I would start with checking your audio settings in Settings>System>Audio, and also verifying what audio profiles your TV can handle.
(2017-04-23, 05:43)blossom24 Wrote: I didn't see anything amiss with Visualisations in the Log ...
How do you have your system setup?
Kodi directly to TV or is it through an AVReceiver/Amp?
HDMI cables, or optical or other?

Well I guess it could be a coincidence ... but I did listen to perhaps an hour of music from quite varied (local) sources with absolutely no problems before messing with the visualizations, and now it crashes every single time I try to play music, sometimes within seconds and always within a few minutes. Also I'm skeptical that something is wrong with the Vortex visualization because it can't be disabled. That's got to be a bug, right? Can anyone else enable this visualization and then disable it again. (I can disable all the other visualizations I tried).

My Kodi box (HTPC) is connected directly to my sony 40" TV using an HDMI cable.

Quote:I would start with checking your audio settings in Settings>System>Audio, and also verifying what audio profiles your TV can handle.

I see that there are four audio profiles (two of which mention Sony TVs). I tried all four of those profiles and they all work for the first track that I play, but none of the profiles would go beyond that. (It is interesting that the rest of the track will play perfectly even though Kodi has crashed within the first few seconds of the mp3 file.)

Also I have watched about 10 hours or so of Video (all of which included sound). So if there was any problem for my Sony TV to reproduce audio from the Kodi box, why wouldn't the problem show up with video as well. Video still works perfectly.

Since I could play mp3 files once, Is there any chance I could fix the problem simply by uninstalling and reinstalling Kodi? I know that Kodi saves a lot of stuff in the registry that unfortunately is not cleaned out with an uninstall, so I'm guessing this won't help. (I was disappointed that I could not remove a custom build that I had installed into Kodi by simply reinstalling a fresh copy.)

I would hate to think that I would have to reinstall windows again to get back to where I was (when I could play mp3 files).

~Paul
to disable the visualization addon you need to go into SETTINGS>PLAYER>MUSIC and under visualization select "None". Then you can go into the addon browser and disable the Vortex visualization.
Visualizations are highly dependent on the graphic engine hardware, If they don't work, it's pretty likely they'll never work.
I can safely say visualizations are not the issue. I have one machine with them enabled and one I haven't bothered enabling them yet and both crash constantly playing music. I'll post a log from one when I get a chance. One is hooked up to a receiver, one is hooked directly to the TV, both via HDMI. Glad it isn't just me. Visualizations always worked just fine on previous releases of Kodi prior to Krypton. Though they were enabled by default before. I've only been on Krypton for a few days now, I waited until now to update so I could wait for any major bugs to be ironed out first. That plan didn't work so well.

Edit: Both machines crashed twice since then. Here is a log from my primary machine. One thing I've noticed, whenever it has crashed in my presence, it was transitioning between songs.
(2017-04-26, 00:30)DGenerateKane Wrote: Edit: Both machines crashed twice since then. Here is a log from my primary machine. One thing I've noticed, whenever it has crashed in my presence, it was transitioning between songs.

You have installed Banned add-ons (wiki), so you won't get any support here unless you want to remove them.
(2017-04-26, 07:52)Rechi Wrote:
(2017-04-26, 00:30)DGenerateKane Wrote: Edit: Both machines crashed twice since then. Here is a log from my primary machine. One thing I've noticed, whenever it has crashed in my presence, it was transitioning between songs.

You have installed Banned add-ons (wiki), so you won't get any support here unless you want to remove them.

None of my addons are actually on that list so you're going to have to be more specific. I replaced the only addon I was using from Superrepo so I could remove it. I also removed the fusion repo as I don't even know what I used from it. Didn't even know it was installed. So if there is anything else you deemed as banned, again you're going to have to be more specific.
At least uRepo is on the banned list.
I don't know if your other repositories are also considered as banned.

kodi.wiki Wrote:This list is only an example, and does not include all add-ons or services that violate the forum rules.
I apparently didn't know what I was doing. All I did was remove the two repo's as sources in the file manager. I now see just how many repo's I have installed, which was way more than I thought. I've uninstalled all except the official one, and Gomioa, which is for Pandoki.
Now post a new Debug log (wiki).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
crashes playing music (can't disable visualization)0