Fan(s) run while in menus
On my 2.0Ghz Mac mini I've noticed that the fan(s) run on at a constant state of medium to high speed when XBMC is sitting idle at the menus. I have not done a ton of research into this, but I have noticed other commenters complain of this same behavior on the blog so I thought I would start a thread.

Here is what I do know:
  • When sitting idle in any XBMC menu (default Project Mayhem III skin) the fan speeds increase to annoying levels.
  • I have tried disabling skin animations and scrolling, no change.
  • According to top, XBMC is using (only) about 10% CPU while idle
  • Fan(s) do not spin up when playing media back, even 720p with DTS sound, despite CPU being highly utilized

Here is what I don't know:
  • I haven't measured the actual temperature via on board sensors during this behavior (it does appear to be heat related however, as the fan(s) will spin down only after a period of time after XBMC has been closed or a video playback started)
  • I'm not sure if users are experiencing this behavior on any other hardware platforms

Anyone have any other experiences to share?

Thanks
One more observation to add: Last night I downloaded and installed the xTV skin (which is beautiful by the way.) While XBMC still uses about 10% of the CPU time while sitting idle in a menu, I have noticed that the machine is noticeably cooler and the fans do not spin up as much as it did with the default Project Mayhem III skin.

I wouldn't however say that this solves the problem, as the fan noise is still noticeable while idle. As before, as soon as I start playing a video (even 720p), or exit XBMC, the heat seems to drop and the fan noise tapers off and disappears.

As this doesn't seem to be CPU heat related, is there anything I can do (preferably from the terminal via ssh) to help diagnose a potential issue with the video card utilization, etc?

Cheers
Im experiencing a lot of fan noise as well. It spins up when idle in xbmc. The mini is fairly new, does it have a learning proces it has to go through? If the noise it makes is normal I think I will be sending the unit back. Its louder than the Xbox, that cant be right.
Hmm, I barely notice the fan i my 2Ghz mini. The xbox is far more noisy.
I also Have this problem on MacBook 2gig

the problem have a ticket http://dn-0.com/xbmc-trac/ticket/185
I'm on same config as fall-line and I've also noticed the fans in idle-mode. Really strange, and in Aeon it's even worse but I guess the backdrops Aeon is using is pretty memory intensive.
I have the 2.0Ghz model as well (bought it less than a month ago), but it's silent like the grave. I can't hear it even if I put my ear to it (which I have to do sometimes, damn TV bench...).
If I play video the things quiet as a mouse. As soon as I get some flash(video) in Safari it starts to blow. So i think Im gonna be cool with it. 90% of the time Ill be running XBMC so im cool with it.

HELLUVA JOB on OSXBMC by the way. Only thing Im having is AV lag but that has to do with my AMP/TV so I aint gonna bitch about it here... Really really like the OSXBMC!
XBMC for Mac OS X Wink
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Helluva job on XBMC for Mac OS X then!

I wish I could help but even though Ive been on the web for some time (heh, Ive been downloading Buffy and ST Voyager from the www in RealVideo format) Im absolutely clueless when I get (too deep) beneath the surface of applications.
this is still a problem in 0.5 beta1.

http://dn-0.com/xbmc-trac/ticket/185

and I don´t think you can see the problem in a xbmc.log file
http://pastebin.com/mf3cf06d
What is your Mini sitting on/under? make sure there is ventilation around it, move it away from your receiver, etc.
it´s a MacBook cpu load idle is 10 -20%
What is your Macbook sitting on/under? Make sure there is ventilation around it, move it away from your receiver, etc. Check and run any EFI/PMU updates that are available.
This happens on my macbook as well. Well ventilated it is too, and it only ever happens in XBMC. In the menus or if you pause a movie. As long as you play a movie it's normal, but as soon you stop or pause, the fans go up.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fan(s) run while in menus0