How do you lock down Kodi while a movie is being played?
Is there an add-on to lock down the menu and the media controls on the video player? If not, how would I prevent other people from controlling Kodi while a movie is being played in a public room?
Please don't take this as insulting... but

Take away the remote control? It's not as if your Kodi player has buttons at the front of the box like a DVD player. And I am sure all your guests don't come with their own remote controls.

(or keyboard, or mouse)
(2017-05-05, 22:30)Karellen Wrote: Please don't take this as insulting... but

Take away the remote control? It's not as if your Kodi player has buttons at the front of the box like a DVD player. And I am sure all your guests don't come with their own remote controls.

(or keyboard, or mouse)

The Raspberry Pi will be situated in a commissioners meeting room where staff will have keyboards and mice. We don't want them or anyone else to control the player.
hmmm... Ok they do come with their own remote!!!

Nothing springs to mind, but I'll do a search and see what I find.

---Edit---

I assume that at least one controller needs access to Kodi, otherwise how do you control pause, stop, volume etc?
Read the wiki and start playing with keyboard.xml - basically disabling everything that acts in 'fullscreenvideo' (or in 'global' that isn't overridden in Fullscreenvideo').
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_keyboard.xml
Control it yourself by adding a key to keyboard.xml that nobody else is likely to try. Or use a remote app / the webserver.
Can't you just disable all local control, enable remote control (only one or two bullets to touch) and then lock remote control through the webserver down with user/pass..?
(2017-05-08, 19:11)Atreyu Wrote: Can't you just disable all local control, enable remote control (only one or two bullets to touch) and then lock remote control through the webserver down with user/pass..?

How would you do that? I plan to use an Android app to control it.
My thought was to disable local control through the ' allow control through applications on this system' setting, but at second thought i don't think that will disable control through a remote or keyboard. So to answer my own question...no you probably can't. would have been so easy ..

Best way to go is probably trogggy's suggestion which requires a bit of work
Re-reading this I'm either confused or you've missed something out or there isn't a problem.

You're using a pi to play videos.
You'll control that with an android app.
You don't want people to be able to access it via keyboards / mice.

So just don't attach a receiver to the pi - all the keyboards / mice / remotes in the world won't work if there's nothing on the pi to receive their signal.
(2017-05-11, 12:18)trogggy Wrote: Re-reading this I'm either confused or you've missed something out or there isn't a problem.

So just don't attach a receiver to the pi - all the keyboards / mice / remotes in the world won't work if there's nothing on the pi to receive their signal.

See post #3

Edit oh i see, you mean no bt, no wifi and cover the ir ?
(2017-05-11, 19:19)Atreyu Wrote:
(2017-05-11, 12:18)trogggy Wrote: Re-reading this I'm either confused or you've missed something out or there isn't a problem.

See post #3

Edit oh i see, you mean no bt, no wifi and cover the ir ?
No BT, no IR, no keyboard / mouse dongle - therefore no remote / keyboard / mouse.
Wifi would be needed for yatse / kore / webserver / whatever.

Cover the IR? Huh
I managed to disable most of the keys but I can't disable the media keys on keyboards because they are tied to my remote controller. How would I allow only the remote controller to have access to control during video playback?
Simple solution but from the sounds of it this Pi has multiple keyboards and mice connected. But you can get USB toggle devices basically a switch that will disconnect the connection in the middle. You could use that with a hub to kill every keyboard or mouse going through it and switch it back on when done playback?
(2017-05-23, 02:30)DJ_Izumi Wrote: Simple solution but from the sounds of it this Pi has multiple keyboards and mice connected. But you can get USB toggle devices basically a switch that will disconnect the connection in the middle. You could use that with a hub to kill every keyboard or mouse going through it and switch it back on when done playback?

The problem with that is anyone can disconnect the switch or hub and plug in their own keyboards. I want to prevent anyone else from controlling the system during video playback by blocking keyboard functions or physical access to the USB ports.
I am surprised to hear that the behavior you described in your previous post would occur in the professional "Commissioners Office" environment where Kodi is located. I make this comment with the experience of working 8 months in a Commissioners office myself.

A number of suggestions have been provided here... but I am starting to think that Kodi can not protect against willful tampering and still remain in an operable state.

Members are still free to provide assistance, but consider the possibility that your requirement cannot be achieved.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do you lock down Kodi while a movie is being played?0