Confused - Need help
Hi, I am new to Kodi. I have read the posts "START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated May 2017)" and "Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)," along with a few other posts. After reading them I am more confused than when I started as to what buy.

I am looking for a box to run Kodi. I already have a Roku for many other apps. I have done some searches on the S905(x) boxes recommended here. There are many choices. I am familiar with computers and have built several. I would like to know what to look for regarding things similar to building a computer, processor (I'm guessing the S905(x)), memory and things like that. I would like several choices as to what to buy. I live in the USA and would prefer to purchase from Amazon (preferably not a 3rd party, unless recommended), ebay (recommended seller), newegg, or local retailer store. To me computers are so much easier. Thanks. Rob
All I know from what information you provided, is that your want a box to run Kodi. Well buy any of those in the "START HERE" thread and be done with it.

Sent from my HTC 10
If you are aiming at S905. I preferred using cheap Odroid C2 with emmc card and installed current version of libreELEC. This will boot directly to Kodi.
I am not aiming at anything in particular. I am open to all suggestions. I am looking to learn what I can. Regarding the S905, I was just parroting what I read.
Since you have a Roku, the need for a box running Android (or Windows) for streaming apps should be negated, so I'd look at something that will run Libreelec (a dedicated Kodi box). But without knowing what sort of content you plan on watching on Kodi (broadcast TV/PVR, 3D, 4K, etc) no way to narrow it down past that. There are several great LE devices, ranging from $40 S905X boxes to $100+ Chromeboxes or NUCs with the RPi3 in the middle but they all have their own strengths depending on particular content.
Thank you jakejm and menell for your responses and guidance. Your responses are helping to narrow what I am looking for.

I would like for 4K, but not 3D. At this time I don't have a need for a PVR, but if that option is not too much more money, I am open to it. I would like a box that I buy that I can connect to my tv via ethernet or wireless similar to a Roku. I am not interested in buying parts and building anything. Would you please recommend a few specific boxes and or links for them in the $40-60 range in the USA. If they are other things I should be considering, please let me know. Thanks.
Beelink Mini MXIII II. Won't link to it, because I don't know whether or not any particular seller is selling it as 'fully loaded'. To get the best out of it, you will need to get yourself a good microSD card and install LibreElec on it. No other hardware to get. Main disadvantage with the S905X is that you don't get full Gigabit LAN. I use wireless anyway.
A 2G/8G Nexbox A95X and quality class 10 16GB microSD card are right in the middle of your budget on Amazon. With a little tweaking you can have it dual booting Android and LE (or even forgo the microSD card and install to NAND and lose dual boot, but you will need a 4GB+ card to get you up and running temporarily). It wont be plug and go, but its a simple task if you can follow directions, the Libreelec forum would be the correct place for questions on that has not to mix up this thread/forum.

There are a bunch of other S905X boxes too that should be pretty similar but I don't have any direct experience with them.

You wont get a box with built in tuners and PVR capability in your budget but if you have a separate PVR backend/tuner the S905X boxes running LE do great with broadcast TV content in the US.
(2017-06-01, 00:03)rob11 Wrote: Thank you jakejm and menell for your responses and guidance. Your responses are helping to narrow what I am looking for.

I would like for 4K, but not 3D. At this time I don't have a need for a PVR, but if that option is not too much more money, I am open to it. I would like a box that I buy that I can connect to my tv via ethernet or wireless similar to a Roku. I am not interested in buying parts and building anything. Would you please recommend a few specific boxes and or links for them in the $40-60 range in the USA. If they are other things I should be considering, please let me know. Thanks.
no no, you connect to your tv via HDMI not Ethernet.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
My mistake. I realize that the box connects to the tv via HDMI. What I meant is for the box to have the ability to connect to the router by either ethernet or wirelessly.
I have been looking at both the "2G/8G Nexbox A95X" and the "Beelink Mini MXIII II." I think that is what I am looking for. I saw both of them on ebay a little cheaper than from Amazon, but they are coming from China. I think I would prefer getting the one I decide on from Amazon, unless you recommend somewhere else.

Also, how much would a box with a built in tuner and PVR capability be? What are some options for those? Thanks.
The Wetek Play 2 is $120 (shipping from Europe tho) with an ATSC tuner. There are others out there but you will likely be in the same price wise.

Depending on your model of Roku TV it should allow for at least pausing of live TV just by adding a USB drive, no DVR capability tho.

Personally I'd suggest a dedicated backend PVR box (be it a PC with a capture card or a networked tuner) this will mean you don't have to run antenna cabling to the TV (the backend box can be located somewhere else) and will allow you to have live TV to any number of other boxes throughout the house.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Confused - Need help0