running Kodi on Windows but having Kodi UI on TV possible?
Question 
Hey @all,

Sorry if it has already been asked, I didn't find the right thread and I was looking hours for a solution on the forum and on google.

What works:
I have Kodi 17.3 running on my Windows PC and Kore on my Android phone and both work like expected. Also the Kodi web interface works and accessing my media via DLNA from my TV does too.

BUT:
...So I know that most people have Kodi set up on a PI or else directly connected to their TV and maybe I'll change my setup at some point. Right now I like to have my media harddrive inside my PC because I sometimes watch stuff on my PC monitor. Also my media harddrive with holiday pictures, videos and so on is encryped and I'm not sure a PI can handle that?

QUESTION:
Is it possible to get the Kodi UI on my TV while running Kodi like described on my Windows PC in another room?
- TV is connected via network cable
- NO, I can't connect PC and TV with an HDMI cable

IF NOT:
...Say I buy a PI and get Kodi running on there with my media harddrive plugged in and all attached to the TV,
can I Stream content from the PI to other output devices (other TVs in the House) while still having the neat Kodi UI?

Thanks,
Thomas
The Kodi interface is tied to the software player. Although using a web interface Add-on:Chorus (wiki) will allow you to control Kodi remote, so in effect getting an interface on another device. I don't think the Raspberry Pi has the capability to feed multiple devices (I suppose there are other hardware solutions for multiple displays or some sort of HDMI splitter). The usual state of affairs is to have a central NAS with your media, then share that source with multiple devices (connected through LAN or Wifi ) that have Kodi running as the front end. Syncing and sharing (wiki) and File sharing (wiki)
No.
I had a setup much like you described and it requires a (in my case 10m) hdmi cable.
Since you say you cannot go that route, i would look at a more conventional way of rigging stuff up in a way like PatK describes. Or do what i did and just share anything you need on the network and point any Kodi instance to your shares
Why not buy a pi and attach it to your tv by HDMI. Then point it's movies and TV sources to your PC.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks for all your replies guys.

So I finally bought a Pi3 (yeah Wink) and got it working with kodi and my tv although there were a few initial Problems.

It works fine now even with hdmi-cec and streaming full hd media from my PC. But as I don't have any local media on the Pi, it looks like the support for only having upnp libraries isn't really good.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=213510

I didn't find more about this topic but for now I just added the upnp sources to favourites. Next step would be syncing the watched status which doesn't really work although I'm only using 1 media source.

All in all I'm happy with how it worked out in under 3 days. Wink
I would use SMB in preference to UPNP.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-06-15, 03:32)nickr Wrote: I would use SMB in preference to UPNP.
Seconded
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Thirded.

There are also NFS servers available for Windows that you could use (for example here) if you want another alternative, as SMB shares can be interesting to set up sometimes on Win10
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
running Kodi on Windows but having Kodi UI on TV possible?0