AirPlay API is available for developers?
Like many others, I watched the WWDC17 Keynote yesterday. Apple announced AirPlay 2 and it looks like they make it available for third parties (Don't know if AirPlay was available before tho). But I think this is great news! This could mean that Kodi developers can finally make the AirPlay feature work properly, which has been buggy ever since iOS 9 was released. Do note I am not saying that Kodi did bad implementation at all, I know that they have been working hard on getting it to work, but due to various challenges with API changes when a new update to iOS was released, seemed to be hard to deal with so I fully understand the complications with this feature.

I just want to know, as I am not a developer myself, does this mean that Kodi will be able to fully implement AirPlay in the future now?

Link to the AirPlay API developer site: https://developer.apple.com/airplay/

Cheers!
HTPC Streacom FC8 Evo, BIOSTAR Hi-Fi 3D Motherboard, Intel Core i5 4670T 2.3 GHz, 4GB Kingston HyperX, 500GB 7200 HDD, Streacom IRRC Remote
TV Sony Bravia 32" Full HD
This doesn't help us at all. Its only for the client side of things - we would need the server side of things which apple will never make available. Thats the reason the Kodi implementation got broken on ios9 - because apple encrypted everything and we have no API at all (its all reverse engineered which can't be driven any further due to the unbroken encryption).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I don't get it. Isn't the iOS device the server. Isn't the client the speaker or kodi or etc?
I think with "client" he means the client side of the API. What Kodi would need is the low level part of AirPlay that Apple is hiding behind that API. So with the mentioned API Kodi on iOS could only be used to push to AirPlay devices, but not become a cross platform AirPlay target/receiver
Thanks @da-anda. I imagined there was a miscommunication.

And yeah, I've also taught while watching WWDC that apple opening Airplay 2 to developers would be to good to be true. But that's how it sounded.

But this begs the question, in relation to Airplay 1, how does other software do it? I mean, I have an app on my Android TV that successfully mimics an airplay receiver, and also on one my raspberry pis. Isn't the reversed engineered documentation available somewhere, in order to be better implemented in Kodi? I'm not judging, just asking.
most stuff we know is closed source, so doesn't help us. If you find anything open source (AND cross platform), I'm almost certain that memphiz would bring it into Kodi almost instantly.
https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync is open source. Works great on my raspberry.[/size]
It plays audio only - thats exactly what works in kodi already...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Ah, I'm sorry. In the context of WWDC it was presented as an audio protocol (I know it;s video also), so I taught that we were still stalking about audio here Smile. My bad.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AirPlay API is available for developers?1