VPN Option
I am running Kodi on a Win10 machine. I have set up the Win10 machine to use a VPN for all Internet access which I would think should be adequate for the Kodi app. Do I also have to configure Kodi for VPN since I have the computer all ready set up to use VPN? I'm thinking the answer is no. Would it be better to not configure the Win10 machine for VPN and just configure Kodi for VPN?
Kodi does not need any VPN to work as it was intended to.

We do not support VPNs here.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I'm not using VPN (on Windows) when running Kodi (most of the time). The traffic and the hosts name are visible for ISPs, but the name of the video/audio files are in most cases generic. So they have to go deeper into the packages to see what the video or audio file are (which they do, many times). However, they need to have a legal reason (like a copy rights holder complaint) to contact the offending customer. Otherwise, it is much too labor and cost intensive to do it for all their customers.
(2017-06-12, 21:01)noopara Wrote: I am running Kodi on a Win10 machine. I have set up the Win10 machine to use a VPN for all Internet access which I would think should be adequate for the Kodi app. Do I also have to configure Kodi for VPN since I have the computer all ready set up to use VPN? I'm thinking the answer is no. Would it be better to not configure the Win10 machine for VPN and just configure Kodi for VPN?
I'm going to assume you're like me and use a VPN because you don't want outside websites to have your real IP address and because you frequently connect to public Wi-Fi and that it has nothing to do with hiding illegal internet usage from your ISP.

To that end I'm going to address this from a networking perspective.

If you have a VPN installed on the host computer and it is running than all internet traffic should be automatically routed through it, unless you have configured it otherwise. However VPNs are not 100% confidential. Some commercial VPNs are better than others and lots of the "lifetime" VPNs have security issues like DNS leaking and logging.

Sent from my LG-H872
(2017-06-12, 21:19)DarrenHill Wrote: Kodi does not need any VPN to work as it was intended to.

We do not support VPNs here.
It's somewhat situational though. I frequently travel and so I use a VPN to connect back to my home NAS and stream my movies and TV shows from my house to whatever hotel I'm staying at at the time.

Sent from my LG-H872
If you know enough to set up the server end then you should know enough to set up the client end too.

And if you're paying for it, then you're paying for client end support too.

Thread moved to off topic
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
First things first
Exactly which problem are you attempting to solve with the vpn and why do you think vpn shld be ur solution?
(2017-06-12, 21:28)simple1 Wrote: I'm not using VPN (on Windows) when running Kodi (most of the time). The traffic and the hosts name are visible for ISPs, but the name of the video/audio files are in most cases generic. So they have to go deeper into the packages to see what the video or audio file are (which they do, many times). However, they need to have a legal reason (like a copy rights holder complaint) to contact the offending customer. Otherwise, it is much too labor and cost intensive to do it for all their customers.
What on earth does this even mean?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VPN Option0