[Kodi 17 Krypton] Accessing Movie library from external IP address
Hello all,

Would you please explain me how to configure Kodi to access to my NAS that accessible from an external dynamic IP ?

Let me explain that with more details.

I have a QNAP TS 251A NAS (QTS 4.3.3) with my DVD collection on it in my main house (ddns dynamic IP @)
I configured Kodi to point to my movie library and it is working fine.

I have a small appartement in another city with a Xiaomi Mi Box TV (with Kodi) connected to wifi.
I would like to configure Kodi to point to my ddns dynamic IP @.

What do I have to configure :
1) on my NAS (protocol to be used)
2) on my internet box (ports to be opened) ?
3) On my Xiaomi Mi Box TV (@ / parameters) ?

Do you know if this can be done ?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

JC
The most secure solution would be to setup a VPN connection to your home so your PC in your apartment becomes part of that network. If your internet box has a VPN server option you could enable that, or else you can check whether your QNAP can be setup as a VPN server.
I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.
Thank you for your answer. This is not a PC, but a TV Box (Android TV) connected to my TV.

isnt there is any other option than having a VPN connection ?

Cannot this work by entering my ddns address direclty ?

Thank you
You could probably use your ddns address but you would have to forward some ports on your router (internet box?) to your NAS.
HOWEVER: I RECOMMEND YOU DO NOT DO THIS!
You will make the shares on your QNAP router directly available to the internet, for everyone to hack, misuse or abuse.
I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.
Quote:If your internet box has a VPN server option you could enable that, or else you can check whether your QNAP can be setup as a VPN server.

The QNAP should have at least a VPN server option.

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial/...vpn-server
(2017-06-19, 00:44)PH-SYM Wrote: You could probably use your ddns address but you would have to forward some ports on your router (internet box?) to your NAS.
You will make the shares on your QNAP router directly available to the internet, for everyone to hack, misuse or abuse.

I use similar setup with my synology
Some ports forwarded
Special user for connecting to my kodi
Never had a hack of my nas (which only has movies, i have other nasses for other data)
(2017-06-19, 08:55)mchp92 Wrote:
(2017-06-19, 00:44)PH-SYM Wrote: You could probably use your ddns address but you would have to forward some ports on your router (internet box?) to your NAS.

I use similar setup with my synology
Some ports forwarded
Special user for connecting to my kodi
Never had a hack of my nas (which only has movies, i have other nasses for other data)

Hello mchp92

Would you please explain me what you did exactly to make it work ?
What is your setup ?
Which port did you use on your internet router ?
What did you configure on Kodi server/client ?

Thank you in advance,

JC
I took following steps. Probably works in similar way on qnap (i have synology)
1) give nas fixed ip in my router
2) set up ddns in my nas so i have a url that always points to my "front door", ISP wan side
3) make sure ftp run on nas (kodi allows various ways of connecting, i used webdav formerly but switched to ftp at some point
4) create user on nas for remote connect (giving it read only on my media lib - consequence is that download of subs doesnt work)
5) created port forward in my router for port 21 (ftp) to internal (fixed) ip of nas

And then just create media sources in kodi using the ddns url and user name of the above steps

Works perfectly. When spending few days away from home in a hotel, can just toss kodi box in suitcase and have entire media lib at my disposal
(2017-06-19, 16:43)mchp92 Wrote: I took following steps. Probably works in similar way on qnap (i have synology)
1) give nas fixed ip in my router
2) set up ddns in my nas so i have a url that always points to my "front door", ISP wan side
3) make sure ftp run on nas (kodi allows various ways of connecting, i used webdav formerly but switched to ftp at some point
4) create user on nas for remote connect (giving it read only on my media lib - consequence is that download of subs doesnt work)
5) created port forward in my router for port 21 (ftp) to internal (fixed) ip of nas

And then just create media sources in kodi using the ddns url and user name of the above steps

Works perfectly. When spending few days away from home in a hotel, can just toss kodi box in suitcase and have entire media lib at my disposal

Hello mchp92,

Thank you for your answer.

Regarding FTP, this is the protocol I selected to connect Kodi to my NAS.
Weird thing is that FTP is working well from my LAN (192.168.1.2) but not from my ddns IP adress.

Hence, filezilla cannot retrieve the list of files in the directory, as you can see below :

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Command: PWD
Response: 257 "/" is the current directory
Command: TYPE I
Response: 200 Type set to I
Command: PORT 192,168,1,14,219,226
Response: 200 PORT command successful
Command: MLSD
Error: Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

Do you have any idea why ?

Thanks

JC

Your usecase is exactly what I also would like to do : accessing to my movie library while being in an hotel for example.
Did you forward port 21 in your router? It should forward tcp traffic to the internal nas ip
On top of that, as for the ddns issue, your router might get confused if you use that ddns url from within your lan. The ddns resolves to the ip addy on the wan side, just outside ur lan. Some riuters cant cope witb that. I resolved that by using a feature my (isp) router has: it has some sort of dns service built it, and i made it resolve the ddns string to my nas ip instead of looking it up like it would with any other url
After you verified port forwards in ur router, take ur box nextdoor and hook it up in ur neigjbours lan. If you can then stream a movie from home, you can be sure the setup is ok, and the issue inside ur lan has to do with the possible router weakness
Hello mchp92,

Thanks for your answers : I will check that tonight.

The FTP problem is weird as it appears to be a CMD listing issue ...

I will let you know how it goes.

JC
What do you mean "cmd listing issue"?
(2017-06-20, 21:16)mchp92 Wrote: What do you mean "cmd listing issue"?

I mean an issue with the command listing in the protocol itself ...
What makes you conclude the inability to connect over ftp to ur ddns url from within your lan, is an internal protocol issue?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Kodi 17 Krypton] Accessing Movie library from external IP address0