A brief net boot (iscsi) howto
Wrote a mini howto for any of you want to try net boot.

This is for iscsi boot and in theory you should be able to apply it on any standard san kit which supports iscsi.

I know it's a bit of overkill. For those of you want a simple solution you probably want to try root on nfs (just google for it).

It's a very brief howto, hence lot of basic stuff are missing. If you need any help regarding iscsi boot please use reply to drop me a line. I will try to help as much as I can. Any comments are more than welcome.

File link
http://s7mx1.homelinux.com/iscsi-boot.pdf

It's hosted on the appletv in my home, please be easySmile

Cheers
Nice PDF! Have not read it entirely yet, but I noticed you mention that it aims to make things like Windows bootable over iSCSI with gPXE? Or do you just mean the document to be more generic.

Anyway, today I actually noticed (by accident) that the Debian installer used to install XBMC Live 9.11 also can mount to iSCSI targets, partition them and install on it! Big Grin. The only thing I can't figure out how it makes it bootable (it does something with the USB key I also had inserted but apparently only installs a MBR on it).

Do you know anything on this? Or do you still use a method with gPXE (which would still seem to be the way to go anyway).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A brief net boot (iscsi) howto0