Solved Kodi stuck splash screen advancedsettings.xml wrong IP address? [SOLVED]
I'm running Kodi on a Minix Neo X5 device running Android 4.4. I'm using a mySQL server and pointing to it in the advancedsettings.xml file.

Everything was working fine until my router died and had to get a new one.

With the new router, the mySQL server has a different IP address now and Kodi is frozen on the splash screen trying to find the old IP address.

I'm using a Kodi launcher app to launch directly into Kodi when the device starts up.

So, I can't load any other app to modify the advancedsettings.xml file.

Kodi needs a way to fail gracefully and not keep the user stuck on the splash screen just because it can't find the ip address set in the advancedsettings.xml.

Any ideas on how to get unstuck? This is a real conundrum!
Set the server to have the same IP address as it used to?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-06-27, 05:53)NeoDuck Wrote: I'm running Kodi on a Minix Neo X5 device running Android 4.4. I'm using a mySQL server and pointing to it in the advancedsettings.xml file.

Everything was working fine until my router died and had to get a new one.

With the new router, the mySQL server has a different IP address now and Kodi is frozen on the splash screen trying to find the old IP address.

I'm using a Kodi launcher app to launch directly into Kodi when the device starts up.

So, I can't load any other app to modify the advancedsettings.xml file.

Kodi needs a way to fail gracefully and not keep the user stuck on the splash screen just because it can't find the ip address set in the advancedsettings.xml.

Any ideas on how to get unstuck? This is a real conundrum!
Using my tablet away from home I have a similiar issue.

I find if I wait long enough Kodi will start. Sometimes it's 10 minutes. ..

Sent from my SM-T530
(2017-06-27, 05:57)nickr Wrote: Set the server to have the same IP address as it used to?

The router won't let me do that. It lets me choose from a list of IP addresses from a dropdown list.

The old router had IP addresses like: 192.168.1.x
The new router has IP addresses like: 192.168.0.x

Because it only lets me pick IP addresses from a dropdown list, it only shows 192.168.0.x options?
(2017-06-27, 06:12)Terryjs Wrote: Using my tablet away from home I have a similiar issue.

I find if I wait long enough Kodi will start. Sometimes it's 10 minutes. ..

Sent from my SM-T530 (typie typie)

Wow, 10min is a long time but it's worth a shot, thanks!

UPDATE:
Waited 20 minutes, still frozen on start screen logo.
@NeoDuck

Do you have another computer that you can log into the new Router with? If you did, you could log into the new router and reserve the old IP address for your mySQL computer. You will need to know the MAC address for it. Though, its not that hard to find on your router via process of elimination.

If it is already in use, then terminate the lease, and then reserve it. Restart everything and, hopefully, you should be fine.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-06-27, 06:31)Karellen Wrote: @NeoDuck

Do you have another computer that you can log into the new Router with? If you did, you could log into the new router and reserve the old IP address for your mySQL computer. You will need to know the MAC address for it. Though, its not that hard to find on your router via process of elimination.

If it is already in use, then terminate the lease, and then reserve it. Restart everything and, hopefully, you should be fine.

Thanks but that won't work because:

The old router had IP addresses like: 192.168.1.x
The new router has IP addresses like: 192.168.0.x

The new router won't let me reserve IP addresses in the 192.168.1.x range?

It seems like the best practice for future versions of Kodi would be to fail gracefully if it can't find the IP address, like have a timeout of 120 seconds or something. Then, allow the user to get into the app.
Ok,

The only other thing I can think of is to override the startup. I thought there was an Override Startup function. You hold down a keyboard key, and it stops the launcher from starting, and boots into the OS.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Any decent router will let you change the ip ranges it gives out.
You will need to get in your router settings to change it.
Then reboot.
Which router did you get ?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
Yay, I got it to fail gracefully! So, all you have to do is:
  • Unplug the ethernet cable!

Then, < 30 seconds later, it will timeout and go into Kodi. From there, I was able to go into Android and launch ES File Explorer and update the 2 IP addresses in the advancedsettings.xml.
haha. That's a bit like kicking the tyres when the car won't start... then it starts.
My Signature
Thread marked solved.
My Signature
BTW, I was thinking about a way to avoid this in the future?
  • Use path substitution to point all clients to a centrally located advancedsettings.xml file?
  • Preferably located on the computer where mysql is running and you can get access to even if its IP changes.

This way, you just update 1 advancedsettings.xml file and all the clients get the updated file and won't freeze. Also, saves time from having to manually update each client.
Or use the name rather than IP address. Dns had been part of IP networking for a while now.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
The wiki says to use IP address in Step 3?

http://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL/Setting_up_K...ttings.xml

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi stuck splash screen advancedsettings.xml wrong IP address? [SOLVED]0