How to open compressed files
I been on google trying to find infomartion about this but didnt find anything. My question is how do open rar,zip or 7.zip files on kodi. When l was trying to add a compressed file it didnt show up in the add menu. Is there a plugin that help solving this problem. The problem about this it that my pc while quickly get empty for space not doing this. If anyone knows how to open compressed files on kodi please let me know. If there is a plugin add a link to it.
(2017-07-06, 00:02)seb13hus Wrote: I been on google trying to find infomartion about this but didnt find anything. My question is how do open rar,zip or 7.zip files on kodi. When l was trying to add a compressed file it didnt show up in the add menu. Is there a plugin that help solving this problem. The problem about this it that my pc while quickly get empty for space not doing this. If anyone knows how to open compressed files on kodi please let me know. If there is a plugin add a link to it.

Where is the zip file from?
What exactly are you trying to add?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Quote:The problem about this it that my pc while quickly get empty for space not doing this.

I think you need to explain this one a bit more in plain english.
short answer: no support for compressed rars(or 7zip whatever).

RAR-ing a properly encoded media file is not only useless but utterly stupid. It won't reduce file size. If it would, the video codec would be redundant, wouldn't it?
LOL.
Yes leaving compressed mpeg2 or H264 - already compressed video files is pointless.

Answer to the OP's question is you have to do some proper File Management and uncompress those rar, zip or 7.zip files for Kodi use.

Personally I am confused by the OP's reference to
Quote:it didnt show up in the add menu
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Not so fast guys! Don't know what the OP wants to do with it, but compressing video files with RAR can be very useful under certain circumstances (SPMC supports it - not just by accident):

E.g. If you own a FireTV device, which only supports FAT32 filesystem, you're limited to 4GB file chunks. Here SPMC supports split RAR-files just like any mkv. It reads them also the same way into the library etc. In SPMC-kodi such rars look just like normal MKVs in its directories.
At least this example shows one very useful use-case Wink
FAT32? In 2017?

Actually I have never heard of people actually storing media on an android machine, most access their media over their LAN.
I don't call that a useful use-case
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Well, I am storing my files on an usb3 external hard drive and connect it to my odroid c2, because I don't need a NAS at home. Since connecting external usb drives to such players is quite common (also everybody who I know personally does it this way), I don't think that it's so strange to do the same with a firetv. Unfortunately firetv does only support fat32. Hence I think it's a very realistic use case. Not everybody owns a NAS. That is actually one of the main reasons I bought the c2, as I need its gigabit LAN to transfer the files sometimes to the connected USB3 drive via LAN. (you could see my libreelec C2 as a part-time mini nas Wink )

Amazon is to blame for only supporting ancient file systems here.
In other words, bad hardware choice!
Why so? I'd say it's more a decision between costs/benefit? Or what do you mean? Though that's rather off topic. Since SPMC does have such a feature, there was apparently a demand for it.
(2017-07-06, 16:10)infinity85 Wrote: Not so fast guys! Don't know what the OP wants to do with it, but compressing video files with RAR can be very useful under certain circumstances (SPMC supports it - not just by accident):

E.g. If you own a FireTV device, which only supports FAT32 filesystem, you're limited to 4GB file chunks. Here SPMC supports split RAR-files just like any mkv. It reads them also the same way into the library etc. In SPMC-kodi such rars look just like normal MKVs in its directories.
At least this example shows one very useful use-case Wink

Doesn't Kodi still support split media files with the *-cd1.xyz, *-cd2.xyz file naming, no need to archive them has split rar files, just rename the bare media files accordingly. Or was this feature dropped a few versions ago?
(2017-07-07, 18:35)jakejm79 Wrote: Doesn't Kodi still support split media files with the *-cd1.xyz, *-cd2.xyz file naming, no need to archive them has split rar files, just rename the bare media files accordingly. Or was this feature dropped a few versions ago?
Cut/Split files, which are actually totally okay is not a good solution... Especially if you want to play those files on other systems, which don't support such split files. Why destroy intact media files for everything else, if there is a much better workaround (and it is not more than a workaround for disadvantage in devices like FireTV), which actually maintains the file as it is. What if you want to verify the mediafile with a checksum? It is changed after you split the actual mediafile into several AVIs. I see splitting files as the worst way to get it working... better such a *.rar approach if necessary at all.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to open compressed files0