Solved Kodi 17.3 Crash on startup because of display driver
Hello.

I'm just installing Kodi for the first time, but cannot start it for some reason.

Here are some relevant informations:

[Error Message]
Code:
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Crash report available at  /xxx.log

[System]
CPU: Intel I5 4690k
GPU: None
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
Storage: 4TB on 2 7200rpm HDDs.
Kodi Version: 17.3

[Logs]
Logs

After google searching for an answer, all I can find is to reinstall my nvidia drivers. Except I don't have a nvidia gpu in my server right now, and although I have a 970 laying somewhere, I don't want to increase my server's power consumption for nothing. mesa-utils and xserver-xorg-video-intel are installed and up-to-date.

I have no idea what's wrong. Please help!
Not sure what your planned 'use-case' is, but there is no headless/server version of Kodi possible, so at least some kind of GPU display will necessary. If you want to use a server, perhaps MiniDLNA is an option. Personally, I just use the NFS server part of Ubuntu to serve videos to Kodi clients.
Hello, and thanks for y[/b]our reply.

I'm indeed un a "headless" configuration, with a ubuntu server I remonte desktop into. I'm currently looking into media streaming options, and wanted to try kodi before setting on plex, which works perfectly out of the box. I read that kodi was extremely similar to Plex except being more powerful.

So there is no way to make a kodi server out of a server with only Intel integrated graphics? That's a bummer. I'll stay with Plex then.

Thanks for the help.
Kodi is not a server. Plex is.

If you want some more help, please install gdb so we get a crashlog with debug info.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Ah OK I get it. When I read about it, someone was asking why anyone would be using Plex over kodi as the former was most probably just a fork of the later, so I assumed they had similar capabilities. If that's not the case, then I can't use kodi as I just need a centralised media server capable of casting my media on different devices in and out of my network. Not the right tool Smile.

Thanks again for the help.
Plex player was a fork of Kodi.

However plex server is (as I understand it) their own product.

Kodi does have some Upnp serving abilities, but I wouldn't bother.

Kodi doesn't even require a "media" server as such. It accesses files over a network (to your server for example[1]) and scrapes all the metadata into it's own database. Those databases are local to each Kodi instance, unless you centralise the database using mysql.

[1] this need be file serving only, not any sort of upnp or metadata.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17.3 Crash on startup because of display driver0