v18 Unable to find path to Kodi data files!
Hi all,

I'm using Kodi nightlies on a dedicated media center. The thing is running Ubuntu 16.04.2 on an intel-based machine. It boots directly into X and starts Kodi automatically.

Couple nights ago that stopped working. I went in and tried to start it manually, only to get the above error message.

~/.kodi is still there and is fine.

No debug log because... well, no log. Even starting it with --debug gives nothing but the above error message.

I don't want to submit a bug before checking in to see if this is just me. Or if anyone has any ideas.

So, anyone have any ideas?
~/.kodi/userdata/ is where the local user data is kept Userdata (wiki) kodi.bin -p is Kodi main executable this might help Archive:HOW-TO:Autostart Kodi for Linux (wiki)
(2017-07-21, 06:26)PatK Wrote: ~/.kodi/userdata/ is where the local user data is kept Userdata (wiki) kodi.bin -p is Kodi main executable this might help Archive:HOW-TO:Autostart Kodi for Linux (wiki)

I'm not looking for the configuration files - I know where they are. The title of this post is the error message kodi gives me when I try to start it. This started 3 days ago with the nightly update.

~/.kodi, as I said, is present and just fine, including ~/.kodi/userdata/. kodi -p would actually tell kodi to ignore that directory...
Quote:Couple nights ago that stopped working.
So what else happened? Auto updates to the Ubuntu machine itself? Other software you installed or removed?

Something must have happened. Is your HDD/SSD still healthy? Check S.M.A.R.T. details and the hdd/ssd error log.
(2017-07-21, 07:08)Klojum Wrote:
Quote:Couple nights ago that stopped working.
So what else happened? Auto updates to the Ubuntu machine itself? Other software you installed or removed?

Something must have happened. Is your HDD/SSD still healthy? Check S.M.A.R.T. details and the hdd/ssd error log.

Like I said, I'm using kodi nightly builds. Kodi updates to the latest nightly build every, well, night. That's what happened.

Like I also said, I'm wondering if this is a bug in the nightlies. The bug submission guidelines for nightly say to post to the forums first and see if anyone else is experiencing the issue. There's no forum specifically for nightlies, which is why I posted to the Linux one.
Okay. I was only thinking of external factors, like Ubuntu updates, not Kodi nightly updates.
Install pastebinit, please:

Code:
sudo apt install pastebinit

and then please get us:

Code:
apt-cache policy kodi | pastebinit
dpkg -l | grep kodi | pastebinit
(2017-07-21, 10:04)DaVu Wrote:
Code:
apt-cache policy kodi | pastebinit

http://paste.ubuntu.com/25138978/

(2017-07-21, 10:06)wsnipex Wrote: dpkg -l | grep kodi | pastebinit

http://paste.ubuntu.com/25138989/
kodi is not installed properly, so the error message is correct.

sudo apt install kodi
(2017-07-21, 16:14)wsnipex Wrote: kodi is not installed properly, so the error message is correct.

sudo apt install kodi

How on Earth did that happenHuh

Yup, that fixed it. Thanks! Now I have to go back to trying to figure out why it blanks out 20 seconds into any hardware accelerated video...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to find path to Kodi data files!0