Slow Movie load times (Helix, Jarvis, Krypton)
Hopefully someone can help me out with the issue I am having. I will explain my Kodi setup.

I currently have 26 hard drives, a mixture of 1, 2, 3 and 4 TB's with over 2,700 movies and 650 TV Shows and running on OpenELEC 5.0.8. The problem is that when I press play on a movie it typically takes about 20-30 seconds to start, and this is happening with Gotham, Helix, Jarvis, Krypton and v.18 nightly builds. However, when I start the movie form Video/Files/ it starts instantly, and it does not matter what skin I am using. I also do not have this issue with any TV shows, it is just with the movies, and it does not matter the size of the movie file.

What I also noticed is that on a new install of any of the versions of Kodi, each time I scan a HD I go back and check and the movies start instantly. I do this for 13 Movie HD's and each time I check it, it loads instantly, but once I reboot, that's when the slow load times start.

I have tried everything I know, which isn't much but nothing resolves it. I also disabled all the unnecessary add-ons but that doesn't help either.

I appreciate any help I can get.

Log file: https://pastebin.com/ZSp60Gap

Thanks in advance,

Shedrock
Can you enable debugging mode in Settings>System Settings>Logging.

I can see you tried to play Ozark.S01E02. But you stated Movies was the issue, not TV Shows. So can you play a Movie. Let it run for a few minutes.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-07-23, 04:25)Karellen Wrote: Can you enable debugging mode in Settings>System Settings>Logging.

I can see you tried to play Ozark.S01E02. But you stated Movies was the issue, not TV Shows. So can you play a Movie. Let it run for a few minutes.

Yes, it is just the movies, TV shows works great. I will upload that log tomorrow, the wife will have a fit if I stopped her TV show. Big Grin

Anyway, thanks for the help and I will upload it first thing tomorrow morning.

Shedrock
note that if you use a newer version of Kodi and keeping your currect advancedsettings.xml, that some tags don't work anymore, because they have been renamed. <readbufferfactor> is renamed to <readfactor> and has been moved to it's own <cache> section. So for Kodi > V17 that section has to look like:

Code:
<cache>
    <readfactor>4.0</readfactor>
</cache>

see: http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml#cache

If you will upload a new log, that should be a log from an actual stable Kodi version. We understand the point "if it's not broken, don't fix it" and the therefore the reason to keep an running (and probably old) version of Kodi. But noone is able to fix a completely outdated version of Kodi and noone will spend any time on it. Try to reproduce your issue at least with the latest stable version Kodi 17.3 or with some nightly to get an issue fixed.

Personally I would also recommend to use LibreELEC instead of OpenELEC. Just to rule out an OS issue.
Quote:Running on OpenELEC (official) - Version: 5.0.8, kernel: Linux x86 64-bit version 3.17.8

That's a prehistoric version by now. (*cough* i overlooked the other versions you tried. Sunday mornings, you know)

Also, if all your video collection is local, you shouldn't need such cache settings. My i3-3225 works just fine with default settings. Your setup should not have a problem, unless your network is somehow crapped up. Perhaps replace a network cable for a good Cat 5E/6 cable. Even with 100Mb/s it all should work fine.

But then again, if 5.0.8 works for you... I never had issues with the older or the latest LibreELEC versions. I use NFS on my servers, I'm not sure what further specs your network setup has.

I did have 20-30 secs delays when running Kodi 17.x from Windows, accessing the (Ubuntu) NFS servers. But that is another ballgame.
Sounds like it's simply waiting for the HDDs to spin up, and they get spun up as soon as you enter files mode.

Once a movie has started playing stop and start it to see if it plays straight away.
(2017-07-23, 09:43)DaVu Wrote: note that if you use a newer version of Kodi and keeping your currect advancedsettings.xml, that some tags don't work anymore, because they have been renamed. <readbufferfactor> is renamed to <readfactor> and has been moved to it's own <cache> section. So for Kodi > V17 that section has to look like:

Code:
<cache>
    <readfactor>4.0</readfactor>
</cache>

see: http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml#cache

If you will upload a new log, that should be a log from an actual stable Kodi version. We understand the point "if it's not broken, don't fix it" and the therefore the reason to keep an running (and probably old) version of Kodi. But noone is able to fix a completely outdated version of Kodi and noone will spend any time on it. Try to reproduce your issue at least with the latest stable version Kodi 17.3 or with some nightly to get an issue fixed.

Personally I would also recommend to use LibreELEC instead of OpenELEC. Just to rule out an OS issue.
I assure you that the advancedsettings.xml files are perfectly suited for each of the versions. I have also tried it with LibreELEC and it makes no difference.

(2017-07-23, 09:54)Klojum Wrote:
Quote:Running on OpenELEC (official) - Version: 5.0.8, kernel: Linux x86 64-bit version 3.17.8

That's a prehistoric version by now. (*cough* i overlooked the other versions you tried. Sunday mornings, you know)

Also, if all your video collection is local, you shouldn't need such cache settings. My i3-3225 works just fine with default settings. Your setup should not have a problem, unless your network is somehow crapped up. Perhaps replace a network cable for a good Cat 5E/6 cable. Even with 100Mb/s it all should work fine.

But then again, if 5.0.8 works for you... I never had issues with the older or the latest LibreELEC versions. I use NFS on my servers, I'm not sure what further specs your network setup has.

I did have 20-30 secs delays when running Kodi 17.x from Windows, accessing the (Ubuntu) NFS servers. But that is another ballgame.

My system is setup like this. I have 2 AOPEN boxes in my basement and all the hard drives are plugged in to powered hubs on both systems. I also think I might have had this issue for quite some time, but I usually watch more TV shows than I do movies. I just don't remember ever having to wait this long to start a movie. As I previously mentioned, when I scan each HD contents into the DB on a new install, I come back to the movie wall and press play to test a movie and it starts right away. It all starts on reboot.

(2017-07-23, 10:05)Hitcher Wrote: Sounds like it's simply waiting for the HDDs to spin up, and they get spun up as soon as you enter files mode.

Once a movie has started playing stop and start it to see if it plays straight away.

All my HD's are up and once a movie has started it makes no difference, the wait period is still there. Sad

I have attached a copy of the log. Pastebin won't allow me to do it because of the size.

https://www.mediafire.com/?55syqc835xs15jx

Thanks for all the assistance and suggestions guys.
Quote:However, when I start the movie form Video/Files/ it starts instantly, and it does not matter what skin I am using. I also do not have this issue with any TV shows
This is also odd. If it were a video library problem, it should also affect the tv episodes. Unless there is some kind of corruption in the movies SQL table only, but that normally results in a big fricking error right away.

I don't suppose that rescraping your videos from all 26 HDDs into a new video database is something you really look forward to..? Tongue
(2017-07-23, 12:58)Klojum Wrote:
Quote:However, when I start the movie form Video/Files/ it starts instantly, and it does not matter what skin I am using. I also do not have this issue with any TV shows
This is also odd. If it were a video library problem, it should also affect the tv episodes. Unless there is some kind of corruption in the movies SQL table only, but that normally results in a big fricking error right away.

I don't suppose that rescraping your videos from all 26 HDDs into a new video database is something you really look forward to..? Tongue

Re-scraping is not the problem because I have unlimited internet, but I have done it 3 times yesterday and always end up with the same results. I was just wondering if it is because of the DB being large, but then again my brother has over 3500 movies and does not have this issue. I also just noticed that the more I start and stop the same movie, the longer it takes to start each time. This is really, really odd, and frustrating
Hmm, okay... Doing an export with all related files you shouldn't have to use Internet for rescraping. ;-)

But the only other thing I can think of is, is when Kodi has sources which are not available. I have seperate servers which are not always connected. Whenever one of them is not connected, Kodi has a timeout before other stuff continues. Removing those sources removed the timeouts.
(2017-07-23, 13:52)Klojum Wrote: Hmm, okay... Doing an export with all related files you shouldn't have to use Internet for rescraping. ;-)

But the only other thing I can think of is, is when Kodi has sources which are not available. I have seperate servers which are not always connected. Whenever one of them is not connected, Kodi has a timeout before other stuff continues. Removing those sources removed the timeouts.

The only other source that I have plugged in to my Kodi (Zotac) box is a 3TB HD with music on it. The only other sources are the 2 AOpen boxes whci are online 24/7. I also tried disconnecting the music HD, but it makes no difference.

I am now in the process of re-scanning HD 12, 11, 10 & 9. I rebooted and go to the wall and as many movies as I click on, they start immediately, so I will keep doing that for all my movie drives to see if at some point the problem starts.
There is also the initial directory reading of a drive after booting. My drives are 'caching' the root folder (and more?), which takes upto 5 seconds. After that, they're fine without delays. Still no 20 seconds or more, but with you having so many drives I can imagine there is some delay concenation.
@Klojum - That could be, but it should behave the same way when I go to videos/files and play directly from there. It shouldn't just happen from the movie wall. I've just added movie hd's 8-12 and so far it still loads fast, but not as fast as it does from the videos/files method.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slow Movie load times (Helix, Jarvis, Krypton)0