Unable to install/run Kodi
I attempted to install Kodi 17.3 on my Win7 64bit Dell desktop. The install seemed to go well. After the install I attempted to run Kodi, the initial screen appeared and that was about it. It froze on the initial screen, I gave it some time then clicked the mouse. I then got a box to 'shut it down' which I did.

I made three attempts and pasted all three to pastebin. The first attempt I believe was right after Kodi installed it allowed me to check the run Kodi box at the end of install.

I hope I gave all needed information.

Also, I had an older version 16.x I believe. I tried to install on top (update). When that did not work, I then uninstalled and then re-installed.

https://pastebin.com/H3QFMeNR

Thank you....
The AMD Radeon HD 6700 is around 6-7 years old, and is possibly the cause of the problem. Can you check for updated drivers.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-07-28, 22:15)Karellen Wrote: The AMD Radeon HD 6700 is around 6-7 years old, and is possibly the cause of the problem. Can you check for updated drivers.

Thank you Karellen, I did update the drivers which seems to have made things 'worse'. In that now I don't even get the splash screen anymore. I just get the spinning mouse pointer and nothing more.

Do the logs not show any problems ? Should I try again and post another log ?
I couldn't get much out of the log as you did not enable debugging mode. But great that you attempted as most people don't first time.

Try these instructions... might be a bit easier to follow.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2572642
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-07-29, 12:16)Karellen Wrote: I couldn't get much out of the log as you did not enable debugging mode. But great that you attempted as most people don't first time.

Try these instructions... might be a bit easier to follow.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2572642

I see, sorry about that. I hope this is correct.

https://pastebin.com/3TwWAhJd

Just curious, as this is posted on the web is there any personal or 'sensitive' information in these logs that should be cut out without interfering in the trouble shooting process ?
Also after the problem is corrected, should the advancedsettings.xml file then be deleted ?

Thank you...
There's no personal data in your logs if you haven't passworded access, and do not access remote servers, nas etc. You can remove the advanced settings file, or just use silent <loglevel>1</loglevel> <!-- Change this to "1" to hide the on-screen debug log text --> and there's really little penalty (slight slower exit to write the log) to have it pulling a full log.

Your graphic card is quite close to the one I'm running and as a comparison. http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php...5&gid2=322 and here http://www.abload.de/img/67009qpv.jpg so the question comes down to why you're not up and running. The log shows you make the splash page, do you have a joystick or some device that Kodi see's plugged, that it could be tripping up on? Considering that it seems the log is starting to scan music, there's a possibility of a corrupt database.

The best suggestion I could offer would be to grab Kodi 17.4 nightly and install via portable mode https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=286493 (the wiki is a bit clearer, but alas the server is in maintenance atm. But it's basically installing to an independent device/folder creating a shortcut icon and in the target line in properties of the icon and using the path/Kodi.exe -p flag. This will hopefully launch a unencumbered Kodi, and if that doesn't work... please leave your catalyst version, driver etc.. and we'll delve deeper.
(2017-07-29, 21:34)PatK Wrote: so the question comes down to why you're not up and running. The log shows you make the splash page, do you have a joystick or some device that Kodi see's plugged, that it could be tripping up on? Considering that it seems the log is starting to scan music, there's a possibility of a corrupt database.

No, all I have connected to my desktop is a mouse and keyboard. I'll just mention that the previous version 16?? ran fine on here.

(2017-07-29, 21:34)PatK Wrote: The best suggestion I could offer would be to grab Kodi 17.4 nightly and install via portable mode https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=286493 (the wiki is a bit clearer, but alas the server is in maintenance atm. But it's basically installing to an independent device/folder creating a shortcut icon and in the target line in properties of the icon and using the path/Kodi.exe -p flag. This will hopefully launch a unencumbered Kodi, and if that doesn't work... please leave your catalyst version, driver etc.. and we'll delve deeper.

Wasn't clear on exactly how to go about this. I installed Kodi nightly ( KodiSetup-20170728-4c7c4f0-master-x64.exe ) in a folder on my C drive. (Not program files x86. ) However I was unable to make it run as a portable.

I watched 3 videos all saying to right click and create a shortcut, then go in properties of the shortcut and add -p to the end of Kodi.exe. I tried this but received an error message. "The name was not valid". (see photo)

Also, their 'target' was not in quotes in the videos as mine is ?

I did run this anyway (without portable) and it did in fact start up and run. I tried clicking around as much as I could and it did seem to work well. However, I was not able to shut it down. When I clicked on Exit it froze. I had to click on the windows 'end process' to shut it down. This happened every time I ran it.

I was not able to make the nightly into a portable, but I noticed it put it's Log in roaming. (same place the original Kodi placed it)

Below is the Log for the nightly Kodi. (which did run, but wouldn't exit) I hope this shows what is wrong.

Also I tried the original Kodi (program files x86) and it still freezes on the splash screen. So the nightly seems to work accept won't exit, but the original won't run at all.

https://pastebin.com/y73JWskk

Thanks...
Add the ' -p' after the quotes in the target.
ie Target box should read:
"C:\Work\Kodi\Kodi Portable\Kodi\kodi.exe" -p
(2017-07-30, 16:39)trogggy Wrote: Add the ' -p' after the quotes in the target.
ie Target box should read:
"C:\Work\Kodi\Kodi Portable\Kodi\kodi.exe" -p

Thank you Trogggy. Figures, I tried everything but that. It also corrected the exiting issue, it now shuts down perfectly.

Unfortunately the original version I installed still freezes on startup.
The original install version is corrupt or compromised in some way that has yet to be determined, (let it die). Troggy is correct in the launch, my 'Target Line' in my portable install shortcut icon is C:\Work\Kodi\kodi.exe -p without any quotes anywhere at all and I'm running windows 7 and the log file will now be located in C:\Work\Kodi\portable_data ;I would encourage you to use this portable install if it exhibits the correct behaviour.
(2017-07-30, 19:17)PatK Wrote: I would encourage you to use this portable install if it exhibits the correct behaviour.

I believe I spoke too soon. The portable is now freezing and crashing upon exit.

Should I just delete both and start over, or is there a problem with my set up I need to correct first ?
I'm a little befuddled with crashes of a pure Kodi install without alteration. It looks like you are getting closer.. perhaps both installs are compromised by some sort of add-on or corrupt file in the scanning process. I would clear it all out (check my signature for getting rid of the roaming folder) Krypton 17.4 has been trouble free for me to date). Install as per portable instructions... ensure it's operation. Turn logging on, and exit, Save that log file to use as a template for future logs to compare. Let's see if you continue to have issues... there's a chance the operating system itself is incomplete.

Trouble exiting is usually add-on or network related.
(2017-07-30, 23:28)PatK Wrote: I'm a little befuddled with crashes of a pure Kodi install without alteration. It looks like you are getting closer.. perhaps both installs are compromised by some sort of add-on or corrupt file in the scanning process. I would clear it all out (check my signature for getting rid of the roaming folder) Krupton 17.4 has been trouble free for me to date). Install as per portable instructions... ensure it's operation. Turn logging on, and exit, Save that log file to use as a template for future logs to compare. Let's see if you continue to have issues... there's a chance the operating system itself is incomplete.

Trouble exiting is usually add-on or network related.

After some reading I fully uninstalled both, and then re-installed the Kodi nightly ( KodiSetup-20170728-4c7c4f0-master-x64.exe ) .

I did not check the run box, closed the installer and created the portable shortcut. It started fine, was able to click around however once I tried to exit it locked up. I was not able to exit and had to use MS force close.

What at this point can I do ?

Is there a 'portable log' file I can run, will that help and how do I go about setting that up ?
Your video card is too old to run Kodi 17.x (See if you can find the latest, or beta drivers for your AMD Radeon HD 6700). Until you get a better video card, I would stick with Kodi 16.x
Quote:however once I tried to exit it locked up.

@Powerhouse recommendation is a good one.

Quote: please leave your catalyst version, driver etc.. and we'll delve deeper.

Mine is:

Driver Packaging Version 15.301.1901-160226a-299900E
Catalyst Version 15.8
AMD Catalyst Control Center Version 2015.0804.21.41908

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to install/run Kodi0