Is it possible to setup Kodi with server + raspberry pi as client?
My current setting is that I have a server with a few harddrives and lots of media on them. The server (with Debian Stretch) is stored in another room and I only have network access to it through my router. On the server, there's Plex Server installed. In every room, I have a Raspberry Pi with Rasplex installed. All these Raspberry Pi's take data from the server so that we can watch movies and other stuff.

Is it possible to have such a setting with Kodi?

I'm completely failing at understanding how Kodi works, and I'd appreciate pointers from you, experts Big Grin . All I can do now is go to the server, and type "kodi" in the terminal, and start it. I don't understand what that provides. It requests X11 access, and I gave it that, but nothing happens. Please advise.
Kodi is not a media server like plex. Kodi is a stand alone media centre.

All you need to do is install Kodi on your local equipment, not the server. Once installed and setup, point Kodi at the media files, and commence a library scan. If your movies are named correctly, they will be scraped into the library.

Some reading... http://kodi.wiki/view/First_time_user
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
@Karellen

Thanks for the quick response. This was really helpful to understand the picture.

I would like to ask about my other options. From the link you provided me, I see that I could use OpenELEC or LibreELEC. Is it possible to install an OpenELEC on the Raspberry Pi, then connect to the server using Samba to get the media files? That will virtually provide the same result, right?
I believe you can, but best wait for better advice from the more knowledgeable regarding LibreELEC. They should be happy to provide advice. Smile
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
You can yes. Or you can use other protocols like NFS if you prefer.

LibreElec is a fork of OpenElec, and is better supported (almost all of the OE devs went to LE). But they work in much the same fashion.

The only issue you may come across is the method of naming files (wiki), especially for TV shows. They are a bit different between Kodi and Plex, which may need some work. But there are less addons for kodi which may be of interest too.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-08-06, 12:08)DarrenHill Wrote: You can yes. Or you can use other protocols like NFS if you prefer.

LibreElec is a fork of OpenElec, and is better supported (almost all of the OE devs went to LE). But they work in much the same fashion.

The only issue you may come across is the method of naming files (wiki), especially for TV shows. They are a bit different between Kodi and Plex, which may need some work. But there are less addons for kodi which may be of interest too.

Thanks for the info and for the link on the naming conventions. I had to learn that OpenELEC sucks the hard way. I installed it, and started it, and then faced the issue that it freezes every time I try to add an smb source. After trying and wasting half an hour, I went to LibreELEC, which worked like a charm.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is it possible to setup Kodi with server + raspberry pi as client?0