Problems with finding files on network share
Hi. Im currently looking at different Media center solutions and stumbled apon this Smile I really like it, except i cant get it to work with my server Sad

These are the problems im having:
I have a WHS (windows home server) where i have all my movies, photos, music and whatnot. So to add these i simply click "add source" in for example videos. I add the information about the server, user and password etc. Click ok. I right-click the folder and say that there are movies in it and to auto index. BUT when i look in the folder i can see the movie-folders, but not the movies!?! Its the same thing with photos and music.
If i go to the network share-folder via ubuntu i can see the files and play them. Anyone know what to do?
What are the extensions on the files and what section are you in? You can't see movie files under the music section and vica-versa. You'd be better off putting a Debug Log on pastebin.ca and posting the link here.
Try turning on "show hidden files" under settings. There's a longstanding bug where media on vista, windows server, and WHS doesn't show on SMB without it.
rodalpho Wrote:Try turning on "show hidden files" under settings. There's a longstanding bug where media on vista, windows server, and WHS doesn't show on SMB without it.

I'd love too understand why that happens as I've actually installed Vista and it works flawelessly for me with hidden, just as with XP and Ubuntu.

What language is your system in? (if it's unicode issue).
If you could bump me on IRC I could send you some files to test on so we could sort this
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I'm running US English with vista home premium. Since I don't have business or ultimate (no user mgmt console) I had to hack around to create a privilege-limited user for SMB, but that user can access the media files on the share. I'm on the go today but can pop into IRC in a couple of hours if you're still awake.
I have my media on a Windows Home Server and I had the same problem - I could see the folder structure, but no files when I used xbmc or the built in network share mounting utility in ubuntu. This isn't an issue for my real xbox running xbmc. I got around it by mounting the shares using smb4k and browsing to them in xbmc as if they were local files. Works fine now, though it's a bit navigating up in directories (5 second pauses sometimes).
If navigation is slow, turn off "auto create thumbnails" in the options.
Thank you everyone Smile Got the XBMC up and running now, and i like what i see. Thanks again

rodalpho Wrote:Try turning on "show hidden files" under settings. There's a longstanding bug where media on vista, windows server, and WHS doesn't show on SMB without it.

This solved it Smile A special thanks to you!
The nonhidden files bug should be fixed now thx too the logs rodalpho sent to me.

So svn update and test it if you want Smile
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Confirmed fixed. Sweet!
I have had this issue intermittently as well. My long term solution was to stop using built-in SMB client in XBMC and move to mount points to my Window shares.

Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems with finding files on network share0