Want to add a custom menu item...
hello again!!

I am wanting to add an 'on demand' menu to the home screen to show video addons for estuary. I have looked on the wiki for the code in general. I really want a direct link to the video addons page.

The idea is that i can have 'addons' turned off unless I'm installing something from the main repository and so it just shows the video addons.

I have already changed my home menu around for my own needs, and this is now the last piece in the puzzle to make my setup complete, however I have come to a brick wall. ConfusedConfused
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |
Ok, sorry to bump the thread, but wanted to clarify what I wanted to do for now and for the future, but what I ended up with instead. The idea was that I wanted a main menu item that just showed video addons, the ultimate aim would have been to have BBC iplayer, YouTube, UK music videos (might have got the name wrong!) KordKutters, Ted Talks. If it ever happened, catch up channels like itv hub, all4 and channel 5 (these three are UK's terrestrial TV channels catch up services).

From what I was seeing in v18 was the possibility of amazon prime and Netflix added to this mix, so having a main menu item showing just these services would have made it from what I could see be a complete system with Freeview TV Via PVR, my movie and TV Collection via LAN, and catch up tv and subscription based video services for the latter.

I have tried myself to do this, but think I found a solution, basically use an Amazon fire stick and put those apps that I want and use two boxes, one for tv and local playback, and the other for streaming. Not the solution I was looking for, but at least I have what I want for my media.

I know I can side load kodi onto the fire stick, but this I feel is an even less elegant solution I already have, especially since I have modified Estuary, a modified key map, and an advanced settings.xml file too and just didn't want to have to re set up something again.

I know this solution ended up being outside of kodi, but sometimes you do literally have to think outside the box, or in this case onto the fire stick lol
My Setup thread |
You can't edit Main Menu items on Estuary afaik, you could try an Estuary Mod or a different skin completely. Most skins will give you this functionality, i.e. Mimic, Aeon Nox, Titan etc.
From what I've done/seen, the most you can do is change the order and name of them, which I did. I added the video addons menu to the main menu, renamed it but didn't show the right info, I wanted to use the original estuary as I didn't like the mod version, the other skins and was also the basis to see how kodi worked by manipulating bits, although at the moment at the basic level, not going to put me off by trying though, the ultimate aim in my endeavour is to learn python and write an addon for kodi.
My Setup thread |
I suggest you to use other skin that has de option to add a custom item o home. I use Aeon MQ7. you can customizer all itens on home. It´s fully customizable.
I kept seeing this question come up with nobody really answering how they actually did it, so I wrote a wiki piece on it as its a common question.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Estuary_Modificat...Menu_Items

Hopefully that explains it all until this is possible through the GUI.
Thank you @docwra
My Setup thread |
@tjay260476 
One thing you can do with very little fuss is to add your Video addons to Favourites, Then you can rename the Favourites menu items on the Home.xml file to 'On-Demand'. This will give the desired effect you are looking for and enable you to disable the addons main menu item. Of course this is on the basis you haven't got anything else added to your favourites already.
Here's my main menu as an example, but I've left my addons item enabled:-

Thats a really good idea! Do you know how to directly link to a specific favorite?
(2018-03-20, 23:07)docwra Wrote: Thats a really good idea! Do you know how to directly link to a specific favorite?
 Just answered in the other thread  Smile
@Dumyat, if you look at my setup thread, I did find that out, but as @docwra pointed out it wasn’t anywhere n the wiki or forum for the community to point users too....

EDIT: Actually, just realised, my first two threads on here was about modding Estuary, this be the second... and I didn’t have wiki privileges then, just did it and moved on lol,

If you look at my setup thread in my sig, you will see I took the set-top box idea to its logical end, and it looks cool, so glad to see that others like the idea of favourites reading on demand.
My Setup thread |
For anyone searching, here is the answer to linking to specific favorites. Essentially that opens up the possibility of creating main menu items in Estuary to anywhere in Kodi.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=329938

For example, I now have a "Sports" main menu item

I'll try and get it on the wiki later.
There's a few different ways you can achieve the same thing. I've got some menu items pointing to favourites as described above and then also have three other menu items using movie tags. I've got Concerts, Films and Documentaries that are all scraped as movies in the library but I didn't want them all lumped together.
I was trying to get this working

you can add favourites to live tv
<control type="group" id="12000">

<include content="WidgetListChannels">
       <param name="content_path" value="favourites://"/>
       <param name="widget_header" value="favourites"/>
       <param name="widget_target" value="favourites://"/>
       <param name="list_id" value="10025"/>
      </include>
the links are clickable

but when I try
<include content="WidgetListChannels">