keymaps: user overrides system?
Is my understanding correct that if the user (in ~/.kodi/userdata/keymaps) defines her/his own keymap-file that this will override the default values from Kodi?
Correct.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Keymap#Defaults
(2017-08-11, 10:31)DaVu Wrote: http://kodi.wiki/view/Keymap#Defaults
I know that site. But it is just a wiki that is sometimes not complete, out-dated and that is why I don't fully trust it. So I had to ask to be sure.
I would prefere a full supported and current release fitting manual or technical reference for Kodi. But that is another topic. Wink
By all means request a wiki account and help us all by adding and updating where necessary Wink
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-08-11, 12:49)DarrenHill Wrote: By all means request a wiki account and help us all by adding and updating where necessary Wink
Sorry, but this is not how software develoment works. The person who implemented a feature does know it best. So she/he is the best choice for document it. It saves time. Let another person do it would waste time. Software/Code/Patch/etc without documentation is a bug - an old rule.
IMO writting a wiki is like doing dirty work for other people (dev's who are not able to document their work). I won't write docu for others.

I would fix and improve Kodi. But contributing to a project that isn't well documented is quite hard and waste of time. Good and trustfull documentation is essential to attracked new contributers.

Just my old-guy-opinion. Cool Wink
Quote:I won't write docu for others.
But you will happily take their work and use it as you please?

Well, I am not normally rude or forward, but your opinion sucks. That is my opinion.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Hm, quite sad thing... getting old and not understandig the idea of Open Source or Free Software.
(2017-08-11, 13:38)Karellen Wrote: But you will happily take their work and use it as you please?
I absoluty understand your point of view and your reaction.

But please take in account that I am a developer, too. I contribute to other projects in different ways. I am not only a FOSS consumer.
But I decide myself how and where I spend my sober (correct word here? Wink ) ressources. And on my todo-list are more important things then doing work (documentation) for other people.

Please take also in account that I don't say that this are lazzy people who contribute undocumented code. I think they don't know it better and that is ok. It is a characteristic of FOSS projects that the members and contributers have a wide range of knowledge (and opinions!) about software engineering and project managment. So this comes up to the project members who know it better: There need to be a quality managment process for contributers. Don't say "no" to them when they contribute without documentation. Thake them by their hands and show them how it could be done better. That is one of the ways I learned, too.

It is a quality minimum of software that it should be documented.

Maybe our disagreement also depend on the idological different opinions. What is FOSS for? For me it's more then a hobby. You can rule the world with it. e.g. You could beat the Smart-TV producers if you wan't.
Well, luckily the code is self-documenting so it isn't a problem. That being said there is an effort to use Doxygen and can be reached from here: Kodi ref. But writing user manual / documentation is an art of its own, and my experience is that software devs aren't all that good at it. It falls more under the system engineering umbrella. At least it is better to have the software requirements people do it, rather than coders. Of course in a small project like Kodi there isn't much of a line between roles in the development process.

scott s.
Quote:IMO writting a wiki is like doing dirty work for other people (dev's who are not able to document their work). I won't write docu for others.

Interesting point...good to know. I will remember. Thanks for being so open to us in that regard.
(2017-08-11, 11:00)buhtz Wrote:
(2017-08-11, 10:31)DaVu Wrote: http://kodi.wiki/view/Keymap#Defaults
I know that site. But it is just a wiki that is sometimes not complete, out-dated and that is why I don't fully trust it. So I had to ask to be sure.
I would prefere a full supported and current release fitting manual or technical reference for Kodi. But that is another topic. Wink
You better tried before asking questions then.
"demanding" a well written manual is something you can #&#&$%%
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Also I generally dislike old farts that have a "i know it better attitude" as they have been in whatever area for so long. Most times they have been in that area for too long and they're stuck in whatever mental mindset without joining the future
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2017-08-11, 15:37)buhtz Wrote:
(2017-08-11, 13:38)Karellen Wrote: But you will happily take their work and use it as you please?
I absoluty understand your point of view and your reaction.

But please take in account that I am a developer, too. I contribute to other projects in different ways. I am not only a FOSS consumer.
But I decide myself how and where I spend my sober (correct word here? Wink ) ressources. And on my todo-list are more important things then doing work (documentation) for other people.

Please take also in account that I don't say that this are lazzy people who contribute undocumented code. I think they don't know it better and that is ok. It is a characteristic of FOSS projects that the members and contributers have a wide range of knowledge (and opinions!) about software engineering and project managment. So this comes up to the project members who know it better: There need to be a quality managment process for contributers. Don't say "no" to them when they contribute without documentation. Thake them by their hands and show them how it could be done better. That is one of the ways I learned, too.

It is a quality minimum of software that it should be documented.

Maybe our disagreement also depend on the idological different opinions. What is FOSS for? For me it's more then a hobby. You can rule the world with it. e.g. You could beat the Smart-TV producers if you wan't.

Your view is very short sighted and not working out in reality. Ever thought of undocumented code, that is a core part of a working software, but documentation is missing and people that coded it are gone or dead or not available anymore? Or worse: the guy who wrote the documentation is gone, but one finds out - everyone reading it is not smart enough to understand it?

Think about the great documentation Andrew Wiles did when finding the proof for Fermat's last theorem? It's documented - but - do you understand it?

In short: with your view OSS would have never worked. Btw. intel invested the last 4 years to properly document already written drivers ... just as a note to someone that thinks he knows how Software-Development in practice really works ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
keymaps: user overrides system?0