How fast a pc do I realy need.
Hello
I am wanting to get a pc that will stream iptv, could be bbc iplayer or others to hdmi. What is the minimum spec of a pc to do this. Like cpu speed, memory. I will use linux and have had success with puppy tahr on the bbc iplayer and it runs kodi too.
Thanks for the help.
diode84
An intel compute stick can do what you require.

You can get one on ebay for 40 bucks.
So can a raspberry pi, even a Pi zero.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
If possible I would like to use linux and be able to use it for other things, browsing and playing music.
But I am seriously thinking of a raspberry pi. Couple of questions about a pi, Is it independent of go*gle and will it run kodi.
Yes it's Google independent, at least if you don't install chromium.

You can run Kodi under Raspbian, but most people dedicate the box and use LibreElec or OSMC for it. I use LE at home and whilst traveling and it works fine.

There are similar options like the Odroid, about which you can find threads in this section.

All these single board devices are fine for most stuff, but can struggle if you get towards the more complex 4k end of things.

My point was that kodi doesn't generally need much by the way of processing power. The key thing to get right (where applicable) are the graphics card and especially the drivers for them if you're looking at the pc route.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Looks like the first generation compute sticks are on amazon for $40 with linux preinstalled.

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Generation-...00UYHE60Y/
If you require a web browser you will need a more substantial install of Linux rather than the bare bones Libreelec if you choose ARM (Raspberry Pi, etc) hardware.
(2017-08-15, 20:16)Topken Wrote: Looks like the first generation compute sticks are on amazon for $40 with linux preinstalled.

Thats interesting, what do you think op the z83 2 box, it has an intel quad core cpu as well.
(2017-08-16, 18:49)diode84 Wrote:
(2017-08-15, 20:16)Topken Wrote: Looks like the first generation compute sticks are on amazon for $40 with linux preinstalled.

Thats interesting, what do you think op the z83 2 box, it has an intel quad core cpu as well.

z-8300/8350 Cherry Trail is much better bet than the first gen Z3735F/G Bay Trail stuff. The Cherry Trail has a much better GPU (particularly relevant for deinterlacing)

I had a Z3735F-based Lenovo Ideacentre Stick 300. Whether I ran Windows 10 or Ubuntu (which needed a few hoops jumping through initially) I wasn't that impressed with the Kodi performance (poor for 1080i Live TV ) - though I did get 3D MVC to work outputting 3D 1080p Frame Packed. It was OK for Netflix using the Win 10 Netflix app.
(2017-08-17, 00:19)noggin Wrote:
(2017-08-16, 18:49)diode84 Wrote:

z-8300/8350 Cherry Trail is much better bet than the first gen Z3735F/G Bay Trail stuff. The Cherry Trail has a much better GPU (particularly relevant for deinterlacing)

I had a Z3735F-based Lenovo Ideacentre Stick 300. Whether I ran Windows 10 or Ubuntu (which needed a few hoops jumping through initially) I wasn't that impressed with the Kodi performance (poor for 1080i Live TV ) - though I did get 3D MVC to work outputting 3D 1080p Frame Packed. It was OK for Netflix using the Win 10 Netflix app.

OP is playing bbc iplayer.

no interlaced, no livetv, no 3d.
(2017-08-17, 16:34)honcho Wrote:
(2017-08-17, 00:19)noggin Wrote:
(2017-08-16, 18:49)diode84 Wrote: Thats interesting, what do you think op the z83 2 box, it has an intel quad core cpu as well.

OP is playing bbc iplayer.

no interlaced, no livetv, no 3d.

Ah - just saw IPTV and iPlayer as an example. I watch interlaced IPTV on my installs...
(2017-08-17, 19:25)noggin Wrote: I watch interlaced IPTV on my installs...

He does say others, maybe i stand corrected!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How fast a pc do I realy need.0