Android nVidia Shield 16 GB, Minix NEO-U1, EM95X, T95N Mini M8S
Hi,

I had some questions about Kodi (and other apps in general or any suggestions). I might purchase a media box for someone else. These are the options nVidia Shield 16 GB, Minix NEO-U1, EM95X and T95N Mini M8S.

Will Kodi work with Androidâ„¢ Lollipop 5.1.1? I was told by someone at a store that Android v6.0 aka Marshmallow and Android 7.0 (Nougat) are needed for Kodi and other apps. But I cannot find specifications and information on the Kodi web-site. What kind of time-frame is usually expected for these devices OS's before they don't work or are unsupported?

I cannot register on the Minix web-site. Can you update the Minix NEO-U1 or other hardware with a newer version of Android OS's?

Does a remote such as the Minix NEO-A2 Lite Wireless Air Mouse work with products other than Minux products? An employee at a computer store said there have been returns since they are designed for Minux products. The people interested in the media boxes are OK with the included types of wireless remotes. But probably do not want to use their smart phones as keyboards. A battery powered remote with a keypad is ideal.

How easy is it to get Kodi and other things installed onto the media boxes? I've watched tutorials and have read some threads here about wiping out apps and re-installing new ones. I've never done this before and would prefer a computer.

I think that is all for now.

Thank you.
The first place to start it the:'

START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated August 2017) thread.

This will give you the options you'll have and what most of those device will and want do. No one can tell you which is best given your limited description of what you want.

Kodi 17 only requires Android 5.0, this is stated in the Wiki for Android FAQ http://kodi.wiki/view/Android_FAQ don't listen to people in stores who usually don't know what they are talking about.

This is not a general Android forum, nor a forum for device. We do not know if any specific box has will will have a Android update. That is something you need to ask the manufacture/seller or in another place like XDA Developers.

How easy it is to install Kodi on a device depends on the device. Most Android devices can install Kodi directly from the Play Store.

Considering your comments here and on the Nvidia forums, I would suggest that you do some research if you are getting a Android device, especially the difference between those device running Android mobile and Android TV. Since you aren't that familiar with Android and you've stated that you are buying this for "older people" I'd suggest you stick with Android TV devices, Shield TV or Mi box, which will be easier for you to set up and easier for them to use.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield 16 GB, Minix NEO-U1, EM95X, T95N Mini M8S0