I'm confused - Do the recommended 4k boxes output 4k or merely handle it?
Sorry. This may be an obvious question, and I already know that the NVidia Shield TV does output 4k, but what about the rest?

Xiaomi Mi Box 3
OSMC Vero 4K

etc etc....
READ the START HERE thread where such 4K capable Kodi devices are already listed - and yes they can output 4K video at 4K.

I would not use the Mi Box for high bitrate 4K Kodi video streaming - it being WiFi only, you really need Ethernet for 4K streaming reliability.

99% of 4K Android boxes have to be manually switched to a 4K Android Settings output resolution if you want true 4K video output.

4K Linux / LibreELEC / OSMC (and I believe 4K Windows) boxes can Autoswitch from a resolution of 1080p <<---->> 4K on the fly depending on the source video content being played.

Why would we want to run a 1080p system resolution most of the time and Auto switch to 4K only for 4K video content ?

Because modern 4K TV's upscale 1080p > 4K video content and produce higher quality picture results vs. letting relatively cheap 4K media players doing the upscaling.

If you are a demanding Kodi user and want optimal quality 1080p & 4K picture outputs you have to manually switch Android Settings ALL the time.

Have a good read HERE where demanding 4K NVIDIA Shield owners complain about poor quality 1080p > 4k video upscaling on their Shields vs. what their TV's can do.

4K Android box sellers hope you don't notice such shortcomings "too much" - In the case of Android TV devices you are buying such boxes for all round Apps usability and convenience, which is exactly what a lot of people really want.

There are better 1080p / 4K options available if you are a demanding Kodi user.

Great answer. Thanks.

Where would your money go? Shield, Vero 4K or somewhere else? Budget is up to £200, and a system that only runs Kodi is preferred.
Kodi only:

4K = decoding and output of 10bit HEVC, possibly with HDR support.

4K and speed with broken HD Audio passthrough = LibreELEC on an Intel Apollo / Kaby Lake NUC.

4K and speed WITH working HD Audio passthrough = Windows 10 on an Intel Apollo / Kaby Lake NUC.

4K and speed with Auto Resolution switching limitations and troublesome 1080p > 4K picture upscaling for extra demanding Kodi users = NVIDIA Shield

Kodi only for a whole bunch of us = LibreELEC or OSMC Kodi Krypton which are optimised minimal Linux based systems.
We try to avoid Android all together due to its Audio and OS limitations.

A bunch of us don't care about stupidly fast, flawed 4K boxes but just want something that works, and is pretty fuss free with minimal limitations or ongoing maintenance:
This thread might help:

AMLogic S905(x) - LibreELEC / OSMC - Kodi Krypton - 4K Options: (click)

Improved Kodi responsiveness = using a Wireless remote, otherwise you are shortchanging yourself to begin with. Wink

Thank you for your input.
Just out of interest, why doesn't the Vero 4k factor in your list? I had high hopes for that.
It does, and takes a prominent position - click on the AMLogic S905(x) ink above... Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I'm confused - Do the recommended 4k boxes output 4k or merely handle it?0