v17 DVDs not playing in Kodi 17.4
Hi,

As per the title, DVDs are not playing in Kodi. We don't watch DVDs often, so I'm not really sure when they stopped working. It's kind of ticking off everyone now that they know they're not working though.

DVDs play fine in mplayer or VLC, and the play disc menu item appears when a disc is inserted... they just won't play.

This is on a gentoo (mostly) stable box with kodi 17.4-r1. Any advice, or any questions that would help solve it, greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Demonacle
Not a lot to go on with your first post.

Do you mean that you have ripped a dvd and it won't play? Do you mean you have a dvd drive attached and it won't play?

You will need to provide a debug log. The instructions are in my signature. Use the Basic method. Once you have enabled debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging, restart Kodi then replicate the problem. In your case, try to play the movie. Once done upload to pastebin and link back here.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks muchly,

It's not a ripped DVD - it's a commercial DVD. DVD drive attached, and it won't play, but does through VLC/mplayer/etc.

pastebin at https://paste.ubuntu.com/25510768

I think the problems begin at:

09:00:41.558 T:139888829728512 INFO: Detecting DVD-ROM media filesystem...
09:00:41.578 T:139888829728512 INFO: CD Analysis Report
09:00:41.578 T:139888829728512 INFO: __________________________________
09:00:41.594 T:139888829728512 INFO: CD-ROM with ISO 9660 filesystem
09:00:41.594 T:139888829728512 INFO: ISO 9660: 1151849 blocks, label
09:00:41.594 T:139888829728512 INFO: Tracks overall:1; Audio tracks:0; Data tracks:1
09:00:41.776 T:139888829728512 INFO: Using protocol iso9660://
09:00:41.776 T:139888829728512 INFO: Disc label:
I see that section. Did you try playing the DVD when you created the log?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Yes. That's the problem - it's detecting a disc, and then not playing it.

This is happening for all discs, with or without encryption, and libdvdcss is installed.
Ok. I saw lots of button presses, but just wanted to confirm that was you hitting play.

I will move you to the Linux forum where the linux enthusiasts may help.
My Signature
Does the "Play Disc" menu comes up at the home menu?

Could you also please try a Kodi nightly?
Did you enable "dvd" use flag for Kodi?

You should get something like
DEBUG: SECTION:LoadDLL(special://xbmcbin/system/players/VideoPlayer/libdvdnav-x86_64-linux.so)
which is missing in your log.
Some DVDs can have extensive bit rot, making them unplayable.
Your DVD drive could need some cleaning.
Some DVDs can have newer encryption technologies on board.
(2017-09-11, 20:43)asavah Wrote: Did you enable "dvd" use flag for Kodi?

You should get something like
DEBUG: SECTION:LoadDLL(special://xbmcbin/system/players/VideoPlayer/libdvdnav-x86_64-linux.so)
which is missing in your log.

I have dvd enabled globally. Also did a 'find / -name "libdvdnav*"' and the library is definitely there.
(2017-09-11, 20:50)Klojum Wrote: Some DVDs can have extensive bit rot, making them unplayable.
Your DVD drive could need some cleaning.
Some DVDs can have newer encryption technologies on board.

Don't think that's it. It's happening with all DVDs for one, and two separate drives.
(2017-09-11, 12:46)DaVu Wrote: Does the "Play Disc" menu comes up at the home menu?

Could you also please try a Kodi nightly?

Play disc menu does come up. It just fails to play anything.

Trying to build a nightly now (I'm on gentoo - everything is built from source) but it's timing out trying to get the source from the server. Will let you know once I get anything working.
Does your pc have only have the single optical drive? or does it have multiple optical drives? I ask as issues have been seen in the case of machines with multiple drives.
(2017-09-12, 12:04)jjd-uk Wrote: Does your pc have only have the single optical drive? or does it have multiple optical drives? I ask as issues have been seen in the case of machines with multiple drives.

Single drive only. I had a spare lying around that I swapped out to check if it was an issue with the drive itself.

Thanks for looking
I have the same problem - also running Gentoo with Kodi 17.4, and having problems playing DVDs.  I get the same log messages with the DVD being detected as ISO9660 even though cdio confirms it is a UDF filesystem.

I thought the problem was at around line 572 of cdioSupport.cpp where GuessFilesystem returns FS_ISO_9660 if cdio_is_discmode_dvd is true - but I changed this to return FS_UDF and it didn't fix anything.

There seem to be various places where the URL for a dvd is expected to be one of dvd:// or udf:// or weirdly even D:\ but I couldn't puzzle my way around that.

I'm happy to try some patches if that'll help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVDs not playing in Kodi 17.40