Kodi broken SMB stack Android
I know this is a cross post - I posted over in Windows this same post. So shoot me.  OK so it belongs here - didn't see this section initially when I searched for solutions.

I run a Netxeon Model Q10, Android 6.10. (Whatever the stupid Android version "name" is I don't know, lolligag or whatever - Who comes up with those idiotic names anyway?) It's a $59 Android box I got off of Amazon. 2GB RAM / 16GB SSD.

It was only recently that I decided to setup a tiny file server using a small Linux machine to serve up the media to the house, and removed the hard disk attached directly to the box and decided to go ahead and connect to the Linux box from Kodi on the Android box to the Linux machine. 

Don't get all invested in trying to troubleshoot my home lan here people. I know the Linux machine is fine, so is my development Mac that connects to it, as well as a Dell Laptop that connects to both the Mac and the little Linux machine. They all do SMB just fine. (Except the Mac, but that's another shitshow)

1. The problem is NOT Android's ability to do SMB. I can use X-plore or any number of Android file manglers to browse my home network. AND run movies in the cheesy but functional white label file manager and media players that come with the box. I have run several cheesy but functional Android SMB servers ON the Android box, and moved files albeit very slowly back and forth to that box.

2. The problem is CLEARLY a broken network stack inside of KODI. Done. I get "Error 2: share not available" regardless of doing things like installing an old version (16.1) of KODI, fiddlefucking with XML files and all manner of horseshit to get the damn app to see the network shares. IT IS CLEARLY A BROKEN "FEATURE" OF KODI. This is clearly a broken part of KODI that used to be one of the main reasons I liked KODI. But now it's garbage. I successfully ruined my setup, all the settings only to figure out that it is INDEED KODI that is broken.

3. I wasted time trying to find a replacement. I installed Plex, but that POS is such a pile of dung I cannot waste my time with its weird arcane setup. The classic response "well don't use it" is an easy out. You want market share so you can get bought up by a unicorn startup - right? All the SFO startup babies want that magical buyout of billions of dollars in unicorn money so I suggest you get to work and fix it.

4. So WHEN will KODI SMB be fixed?
Quote:I know this is a cross post - I posted over in Windows this same post. So shoot me.
Consider it done.

If you don't where to post, simply ask to have your topic moved. Don't trash your stuff all over the place.
There is also no need for shouting in topic titles. Do you have some anxiety to not get noticed?

Quote:IT IS CLEARLY A BROKEN "FEATURE" OF KODI
I doubt that. Otherwise, millions of Kodi users would be crying havoc. Perhaps you also need to read the changelog of the latest Kodi build. Something about SMB v1 being abandoned in the wake of the WannaCry disaster.

Quote:regardless of doing things like installing an old version (16.1) of KODI, fiddlefucking with XML files and all manner of horseshit to get the damn app to see the network shares.
We also look forward to you keeping your language clean on this forum, starting with your next post.
(2017-10-11, 15:29)Klojum Wrote:
Quote:I know this is a cross post - I posted over in Windows this same post. So shoot me.
Consider it done.

If you don't where to post, simply ask to have your topic moved. Don't trash your stuff all over the place.
There is also no need for shouting in topic titles. Do you have some anxiety to not get noticed?  

YES 

Quote:IT IS CLEARLY A BROKEN "FEATURE" OF KODI
I doubt that. Otherwise, millions of Kodi users would be crying havoc. Perhaps you also need to read the changelog of the latest Kodi build. Something about SMB v1 being abandoned in the wake of the WannaCry disaster.

DO A SIMPLE GOOGLE SEARCH. DUH. I have searched high and low for a fix, and it OBVIOUS TO ANYONE WITH HALF A BRAIN THERE IS INDEED A PROBLEM.

YOUR DOUBT IS PURE CONJECTURE BASED UPON ZERO FACTS.

I POSTED FACTS. NOT CONJECTURE, AND USED MY 20+ YEARS OF NETWORK EXPERIENCE, NETWORK ENGINEERING, AND SMARTS.

You merely tried to gaslight my post. I see you here. Looks like you're evidently running Hubris 10, which includes the gaslight module.

http://thecooperreview.com/gaslighting-at-work/

Quote:regardless of doing things like installing an old version (16.1) of KODI, fiddlefucking with XML files and all manner of horseshit to get the damn app to see the network shares.
We also look forward to you keeping your language clean on this forum, starting with your next post.

No problem honey. Don't start crying on me. Especially when someone challenges your assumptions. You're so typical.

Also, if SMB support was removed in the latest releases, then WHY is "Windows network SMB" still a part of the "Browse for new share"?
clmiami stop polluting other threads about your belief that Kodi's SMB is broken as this is simply not true. If you wish support then continue here in a civil manner, any further cross posting of your issue across multiple threads will result in a cool off ban.
Do you find, in your "20+ years of Network experience", that this kind of approach usually works? Swearing, shouting, duplicate posting and generally acting like a complete tit on a public forum isn't the way I'd have approached it Smile
(2017-10-11, 16:40)FXB78 Wrote: Do you find, in your "20+ years of Network experience", that this kind of approach usually works? Swearing, shouting, duplicate posting and generally acting like a complete tit on a public forum isn't the way I'd have approached it Smile

YES. Thanks for writing in, such that you provided moral lessons but no fix to the problem.  And I did get your attention, above all the noise. 

It's been extremely frustrating to wade thru all the failed solutions, and the hubris expressed by people who want to dismiss the problem out of hand, immediately gaslighting the issue and whining about the post instead of fixing or suggesting a solution.

This is typical in developer circles, and represents the CryBaby Developer Model. 

User complains, then developers whine about the user being frustrated. 

"You mean you're actually trying to use our software - wow had no idea you would actually use it. Amazing! And you think it's really good enough to roll out in your own life? Wow! But don't complain - oh jesus that cannot happen, we don't listen to users, it's just not done here."
(2017-10-11, 16:39)jjd-uk Wrote: clmiami stop polluting other threads about your belief that Kodi's SMB is broken as this is simply not true. If you wish support then continue here in a civil manner, any further cross posting of your issue across multiple threads will result in a cool off ban.

OK - so now address the issue. 

Get your weed and coffee going and FIX the problem, stop gaslighting the issue and TAKE A LOOK SEE.

Thanks
No issue here as SMB works perfectly fine for me, so wind your neck in. So far you've failed to provide anything helpful for someone to suggest what might fix your problem, how about starting with providing a debug_log (wiki) of you trying to play something on a SMB share (assuming you get as far as being able to add the source as you fail to say) as this and only this will contain the facts.
(2017-10-11, 17:14)jjd-uk Wrote: No issue here as SMB works perfectly fine for me, so wind your neck in. So far you've failed to provide anything helpful for someone to suggest what might fix your problem, how about starting with providing a debug_log (wiki) of you trying to play something on a SMB share as this and only this will contain the facts.

If you could not understand my original post, then you are obviously unable to provide constructive analysis.

There won't be any debug log. Your assumption is that it connects, and that I could "play something"? Go back and read the OP. 

Error 2: share not found

A wonderfully informative message. It means it cannot properly "see" the SMB shares.  Something broken in the SMB browse stack. Maybe the Samba core is out of rev. Who knows? KODI knows, not the users. 

So, here, get caught up - Wasted a day with this Google search trail of zero solutions:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Error+2%...+available
perhaps look at the source of your smb share? I have seen users blame kodi when they are blocked on the shares end.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Since you're not able to engage in a constructive manner I'm going to give you a holiday to think about how you should go about reporting problems on a public forum.
Adding SMB shares in Android you have to:

Add Videos > Browse > Add Network Location > Enter details of SMB server > OK

Then reselect the smb://file.server.server.address from the Browse for New Share Window.

Those with Windows SMB File servers will have to possibly investigate their Windows server SMB enable options due to SMB v1 being disabled on their machines due to the Wannacry hacking fix Microsoft patched with a recent OS update.

(2017-10-12, 03:49)wrxtasy Wrote: Adding SMB shares in Android you have to:
Add Videos > Browse > Add Network Location > Enter details of SMB server > OK
Then reselect the smb://file.server.server.address from the Browse for New Share Window.
Those with Windows SMB File servers will have to possibly investigate their Windows server SMB enable options due to SMB v1 being disabled on their machines due to the Wannacry hacking fix Microsoft patched with a recent OS update.

This was already covered in the OP. 

I don't think it is helpful to ignore the OP or gaslight the issue by repeating instructions that do not work, or post condescending answers when the OP was quite clear.

I can understand why the original poster was upset - the mods have responded by dismissing the problem as a user issue, and robot-like responses that seek to invalidate the issue are clearly meant to condescend.

There is clearly something not right with the way that KODI is connecting to SMB shares and this should be investigated.

I would say instead of dismissing the claims, have someone look at KODI's SMB implementation.  What harm can that do?
Making a new username to bypass a ban is not allowed.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi broken SMB stack Android0