Use of Kodi icons in skin / skin mod
I was looking through the Kodi trademark policy documents and FAQ but didn't really see what seems to be the case of using the Kodi icon as an image in a skin or skin mod.  Aside from the trademarked icons depicted here: http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Media_center_logos what about the modification of the icon as provided in Krypton media/splash.png which varies in allowed color and background from the trademarked logo?

scott s.
I guess it would be a matter of the modification you had in mind, I'm sure for personal use anything goes but from a more official standpoint that could be distributed, it would be something that would have to be approved at least at official levels, and the logo modification either pulled into officialdom or some exception stipulated. Splash art created in-house falls into some artistic license category which is considered the property of Kodi and subject to copyright protection. Copyrightable elements of a logo cannot be used in any derivative fashion without the permission of the copyright holder unless they are in the public domain (published before 1923), or if your application of the illustration constitutes “Fair Use.” Fair Use is defined under Section 107 of the Copyright Act. In short, copyright law contemplates that fair use of a copyrighted work without permission is available for ‘free speech related” purposes such as (1) criticism and comment, (2) parody and satire, (3) scholarship and research, (4) news reporting and (5) teaching. "Fair Use of Logos in Artwork" Ran into this which might help https://www.calawyersforthearts.org/arti...twork.html
(2017-10-19, 03:15)PatK Wrote: I guess it would be a matter of the modification you had in mind, I'm sure for personal use anything goes but from a more official standpoint that could be distributed, it would be something that would have to be approved at least at official levels, and the logo modification either pulled into officialdom or some exception stipulated. Splash art created in-house falls into some artistic license category which is considered the property of Kodi and subject to copyright protection. Copyrightable elements of a logo cannot be used in any derivative fashion without the permission of the copyright holder unless they are in the public domain (published before 1923), or if your application of the illustration constitutes “Fair Use.”  Fair Use is defined under Section 107 of the Copyright Act.  In short, copyright law contemplates that fair use of a copyrighted work without permission is available for ‘free speech related” purposes such as (1) criticism and comment, (2) parody and satire, (3) scholarship and research, (4) news reporting and (5) teaching. "Fair Use of Logos in Artwork" Ran into this which might help https://www.calawyersforthearts.org/arti...twork.html

Thanks.  No real reason to use derivative logo other than "looks nice" so will just dump it.  The real intent is to distinguish the version which runs on Krypton from other versions, but obviously can be done in other ways.

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Use of Kodi icons in skin / skin mod0