Nvidia Shield vs Minix U9 -h vs cheap android boxes
The U9-H running LibreELEC will be the superior mixed 1080p / 4K HDR Kodi Krypton media playback platform where auto everything "works" hassle free for better output picture quality vs the Shield.  Deinterlacing with Krypton PVR Addons and HDR > SDR conversion for non HDR 10bit 4K TV's also works with U9 LibreELEC.  Plus Multichannel PCM audio output from LibreELEC Kodi is of a higher quality. Those are features that do not work properly if at all on the Shield.

LibreELEC also gives you a built in Plug N Play SAMBA file server, plus you can also directly plug in some dual USB tuners to setup a TvHeadend server, mini PVR.

On the U9 there is also a pretty decent unofficial Android TV ROM that can be setup for Android / LibreELEC dual boot. It's really only missing 4K copy protected Apps streaming & Chromecasting vs using a legit Android TV device.

If you can do some simple DIY you get to pick which OS you want to run on the U9.

NVIDIA Shield is more of an all rounder Android TV only, media player platform that does more than just Kodi. It's the go to Android TV device if you need copy protected 4K HDR Netflix and 4K HDR Amazon video & other 4K Apps and also comes packaged with a Plex server built in.
It's like a Swiss Army knife, that does most things well but has deficiencies in some areas.

Basically as we always say pick what features are most important to you individually (make a list) and ask if everything you need works properly on a particular platform first.
That is the easiest way to choose any media player platform.

Since i already have netflix and amazon hdr apps on my tv i guess im gonna save some.money and go with minix, just waiting for 1111 deals. Should i go with the a2 or a3 or k4?
Hey @wrxtasy, are U9 and U9-H equally good for LE use? Asking as I'm unsure from this thread.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
There is only the U9-H, I talk about the U9 mostly because I get sick of typing U9-H.

The older MINIX A2 Lite remote has slightly better Wake Up from battery saving Sleep / immediate response after you Pickup it up vs the newer A3 Lite.
A3 lite has a Microphone. Unsure if it works with the unofficial Android TV ROM. Google Assist has now been added to that ROM.

Personally the $10 aftermarket Xiaomi Mi Box bluetooth remote is my personal favourite for LibreELEC these days. Excellent responsiveness. It really works well with LE once setup (now easily done).
Very friendly, simply remote for Kodi use for non-tech family members. My non-tech retired, Dad has no issues. Smile

After LE reboot there is a mini delay whilst it re-pairs. Not really a major problem.

So if i add 10 usd for the a2 its a fair deal. Thanks for your help. Appreciate it. One last question, does the u9 transcode audio from say atmos to 5.1 and is it powerful enough to make the movie unwatchable and does it handle pgs subs
(2017-11-09, 02:53)wrxtasy Wrote: There is only the U9-H, I talk about the U9 mostly because I get sick of typing U9-H.
My bad, had U1 in mind  Blush .
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Anyone tried to Run Aeon MadNox on Mini U9 ?
Do you have an Install link for the Aeon MadNox Skin ?

(2017-11-10, 11:29)wrxtasy Wrote: Do you have an Install link for the Aeon MadNox Skin ?

Sure, thanks for trying !!!
https://github.com/mikesilvo164/skin.aeo...ee/krypton

If you can take a video or just let me know generally how the skin performs, with movies and stuff of course, If you already using Clearart and logo's and stuff that will be the best Smile
Thanks anyway !!!
(2017-11-09, 00:33)wrxtasy Wrote: The U9-H running LibreELEC will be the superior mixed 1080p / 4K HDR Kodi Krypton media playback platform where auto everything "works" hassle free for better output picture quality vs the Shield.  Deinterlacing with Krypton PVR Addons and HDR > SDR conversion for non HDR 10bit 4K TV's also works with U9 LibreELEC.  Plus Multichannel PCM audio output from LibreELEC Kodi is of a higher quality. Those are features that do not work properly if at all on the Shield.

LibreELEC also gives you a built in Plug N Play SAMBA file server, plus you can also directly plug in some dual USB tuners to setup a TvHeadend server, mini PVR.

On the U9 there is also a pretty decent unofficial Android TV ROM that can be setup for Android / LibreELEC dual boot. It's really only missing 4K copy protected Apps streaming & Chromecasting vs using a legit Android TV device.

If you can do some simple DIY you get to pick which OS you want to run on the U9.

NVIDIA Shield is more of an all rounder Android TV only, media player platform that does more than just Kodi. It's the go to Android TV device if you need copy protected 4K HDR Netflix and 4K HDR Amazon video & other 4K Apps and also comes packaged with a Plex server built in.
It's like a Swiss Army knife, that does most things well but has deficiencies in some areas.

Basically as we always say pick what features are most important to you individually (make a list) and ask if everything you need works properly on a particular platform first.
That is the easiest way to choose any media player platform.
I'm trying to make sense of this. Is this still true after Geekbench scores of Nvidia Shield being superior to the MINIX?
(2017-10-26, 13:13)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-10-26, 10:16)wapvi Wrote: thank you, i know that there isnt a box that can do everything but was looking for something that is close. since you are the most knowledgable here about the boxes, whats the main difference between the U9 and the shield?
MINIX U9 runs Android touchscreen/tablet OS which needs an Air Mouse to control touchscreen Android Apps properly. There are more Apps available from the Google Playstore vs Android TV but they are harder to use on a TV screen with an Air Mouse. Some people detest Air Mouse Apps control on a TV screen. Non Tech users simply hate it due to the co-ordination and concentration required to use such an Air mouse on a TV screen.

U9 also Dual boots to LibreELEC Kodi Krypton and can also install an unofficial Android TV ROM to internal eMMC storage.
At the moment an optimised LibreELEC Kodi Krypton is superior when running on the U9 vs the Android Kodi on the Shield simply because 1080p / 4K HDR Kodi, Kodi HDR > SDR and Kodi PVR's and deinterlacing work properly. There are also less Kodi limitations once you ditch the Android OS.

NVIDIA Shield runs Android TV. Android TV Apps are specifically designed for use on a TV screen using a simple Wireless Voice Remote. These Apps are a LOT easier to control on a TV screen. The Shield has all the required DRM and HDCP certificates needed by Netflix & other paid for streaming Apps and Google themselves these days.
The NVIDIA Shield has the most powerful hardware out of all the Android boxes on the market, its a great all rounder media player.

Tablet Android Apps usually do not run properly on Android TV. There is even a seperate Android TV only Google Playstore.
Once you use Android TV Apps and its control method, going back to tablet ANDROID Apps is really painful.

In the end it depends on what users consider are the most important media player features and Apps needed and ones they must have working properly without workarounds and continually fiddling with settings. Just do proper research before buying anything. 
 I have full android from Zulu99 with full play store and run any app without a problem on shield
(2018-01-03, 06:42)lathie Wrote:
(2017-10-26, 13:13)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-10-26, 10:16)wapvi Wrote: thank you, i know that there isnt a box that can do everything but was looking for something that is close. since you are the most knowledgable here about the boxes, whats the main difference between the U9 and the shield?
MINIX U9 runs Android touchscreen/tablet OS which needs an Air Mouse to control touchscreen Android Apps properly. There are more Apps available from the Google Playstore vs Android TV but they are harder to use on a TV screen with an Air Mouse. Some people detest Air Mouse Apps control on a TV screen. Non Tech users simply hate it due to the co-ordination and concentration required to use such an Air mouse on a TV screen.

U9 also Dual boots to LibreELEC Kodi Krypton and can also install an unofficial Android TV ROM to internal eMMC storage.
At the moment an optimised LibreELEC Kodi Krypton is superior when running on the U9 vs the Android Kodi on the Shield simply because 1080p / 4K HDR Kodi, Kodi HDR > SDR and Kodi PVR's and deinterlacing work properly. There are also less Kodi limitations once you ditch the Android OS.

NVIDIA Shield runs Android TV. Android TV Apps are specifically designed for use on a TV screen using a simple Wireless Voice Remote. These Apps are a LOT easier to control on a TV screen. The Shield has all the required DRM and HDCP certificates needed by Netflix & other paid for streaming Apps and Google themselves these days.
The NVIDIA Shield has the most powerful hardware out of all the Android boxes on the market, its a great all rounder media player.

Tablet Android Apps usually do not run properly on Android TV. There is even a seperate Android TV only Google Playstore.
Once you use Android TV Apps and its control method, going back to tablet ANDROID Apps is really painful.

In the end it depends on what users consider are the most important media player features and Apps needed and ones they must have working properly without workarounds and continually fiddling with settings. Just do proper research before buying anything.  
 I have full android from Zulu99 with full play store and run any app without a problem on shield 
 I'm always worried about flashing devices, you'll miss updates to your shield in the future too.
quote " On the U9 there is also a pretty decent unofficial Android TV ROM that can be setup for Android / LibreELEC dual boot. It's really only missing 4K copy protected Apps streaming & Chromecasting vs using a legit Android TV device.
can you please provide a link to this rom.. i have searched and cant find it
thank you
I think nvidia shield Vs U9-H is not a fair comparison in my opinion.

I've just bought a nvidia shield TV for protected apps streaming and planning on buying a box for kodi libreelec ONLY.

I get the feeling that moderators may get annoyed by constant newbies including myself asking the same question again and again.

I reckon s912 processor is a good for running libreelec with kodi and I think best bang of the buck platform atm.

For unofficial ATV, check minix forums, it's there under unofficial rom section.

Again, at this stage there is NO device in the market which does everything. Pick what matters to you and choose accordingly. You may end picking up couple of devices just like me as a newbie user.

If you like to tinker, khadas vim2 is a good option for s912 platform. Who knows, we may get Dolby vision working in it sooner or later.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia Shield vs Minix U9 -h vs cheap android boxes0