The good ol' days (2006)
I Joined: 2006-09-07

I just noticed I haven't really seen anyone with a joined date earlier than mine lately. (I do hope a few are still around).
September 2006 was when XBMC was XBOX only & 2.0 was just released.

I released my first add-on which was called XBMC Mail Mod (I think)
I had modified the XBMC Mail add-on to allow for a 2nd inbox.
After this, I wrote my own called XinBox - https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=27739http://s211.photobucket.com/user/XinBox/...t=3&page=1
 which allowed for pop-up notifications, unlimited inboxes, compose, drafts, attachments etc.

There was no KODI repo, most "scripts" were released via xbmcscripts.com.
And we used KAI!

A few users I remember fondly who helped me out alot.
Nuka1195dafunksblittan, jmarshall, and of course darkdonno - who created windoxml.

Modifying that XBMC Mail add-on was the first code I ever touched.

It's what got me started in Python, and what started my love of programming.
It's led me into IT and I still happily use Python wherever possible!

I would love to know who thought of making Python the language of choice for plugins back when.
Seems like such a smart choice now, but back then - surely some sort of groundbreaking stuff.

Good memories!
Ive been around using XBMC since 08. Amazing nothing really has come along rivaling it UI wise in almost 10 years.
2006? Nub. Wink
just al littl bit old than you but still here.
Peppe
Spiff is back! Hooray!
Is spiff the one who was known as "the grumpy one" ? Big Grin
I don't miss the days of trying to figure out what SDTV h.264 would or would not work on a 733mhz processor. Tongue
May 2009, I am a damn noob, I knew it!

Using mythtv longer than that though,
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
yup matthuisman, i'm sure i have yelled at you at some point Wink
2007 I think, but I was doing HTPC stuff back early 2000's when the first HTPC apps grew out of forum threads on avsforum.com

RAR support and the windows port was what eventually made me test of XBMC properly, and It was impressed at the time.

I used to love showing off screenshots of beautiful interfaces to AVphiles who were using windows 98 with a mouse, or some poor locked down hardware player, or had machines that held 1000 DVD's lol

I had many a discussion with Frodo, Gamester, Blittan and even grumpy spiff^^ about ease of use, the advantages of extra metadata sites and making the software more Add-on centric Smile Look where we are today!!
I was using XBMC for at least a year or two before I joined. Trouble was I didn't know the XBMC forum existed. I thought all the activity was happening over at Xbox Scene, where the xbox hardware mods and xbmc software was actually posted. I didn't discover this place until I heard the rumor that the software was shifting away from Xbox.
Oh god, I'm real old then....

When I was living at my parents, I built a PC with a TV tuner and DVD drive to save space when I got my own place, long before HTPC was even a twinkle in someones eye. I then found Showshifter (told you I was old!) then moved to Windows Media centre with media Browser in 2006. I have dabbled with XBMC/Kodi since then. Although I took 4 years off when I subscribed to a Satellite company.... when my viewing habits changed, but needed a way to get my local media and free OTA Terrestrial TV to get to my living room and bedroom, I was able to add features/resources to my server and buy Raspberry Pi's (complete with Kodi Cases of course!).

My only complaint is that this project is never finished though... damn you Kodi!

Basically, had HTPC's for ages, but only just joined the forum.... Yup, a late starter LOL
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The good ol' days (2006)0