Video not playing - log says file doesn't exist
[disclaimer]
This is a copy/paste of my previous topic that was closed due to an error on my part Smile
[/]

Hey,

I've been having a weird problem lately.
Intermittently, Kodi refuses to play any video. Sometimes I can solve it by rebooting my RasPi.

I'm posting in OS independent because although I have the problem 99% of the time in OSMC, I've had it in Win10 also (only once or twice).
First I thought it was caused by a problem with my network since I only play videos through SMB on OSMC.
I had my sources set up as smb://<name of server>/Videos/ so I figured it had something to do with resolving the name of my server, so I changed it to smb://<IP>/Videos/ and completely rebuilt my library, but that didn't solve the problem.
But then I had it on my laptop too which only has local files... When I turned off my wifi-connection, the video played!
I can't really test without network on my RPi since it has no local files.

Now I found an even weirder thing. While it still refuses to play any mkv or avi, it plays a DVD ISO without any problems...

Anyways, here is a my debug log (where I try an MKV several times, until I get the 'an item failed to play' error:
https://pastebin.com/uPh0fCy9

I completely redid the install on my laptop, removing Kodi and the Kodi-folder in my profile.
It's annoying because the problem is intermittent. When I disable my wifi, videos work again. After that, I can turn my wifi back on and it's ok again for days or weeks.

I don't know if it will give any useful info, it just says 'File doesn't exist?'

Hope somebody can help...
"File doesn't exist" means either:
- The file is not present on that particular location (anymore). Double-check the full path in the video's information details, a single space/character in the path can already disrupt what's stored in the Kodi video database.
- The user's file rights to that file are insufficient/incorrect.

Quote:When I disable my wifi, videos work again. After that, I can turn my wifi back on and it's ok again for days or weeks.
Crappy (wifi) system drivers can do that.

Switching between wifi and cable connects can disrupt networking the current connections. File not found is an obvious result then.
(2017-10-28, 11:00)Klojum Wrote: "File doesn't exist" means either:
- The file is not present on that particular location (anymore). Double-check the full path in the video's information details, a single space/character in the path can already disrupt what's stored in the Kodi video database.
- The user's file rights to that file are insufficient/incorrect.

Quote:When I disable my wifi, videos work again. After that, I can turn my wifi back on and it's ok again for days or weeks.
Crappy (wifi) system drivers can do that.

Switching between wifi and cable connects can disrupt networking the current connections. File not found is an obvious result then.

The thing is that on my laptop I only have local files, so it can't be a network problem.
Sometimes (once in a few weeks) in order to play those local files, I have to disable my wifi (I almost never use my laptop cabled)
After I disable my wifi, I quit Kodi, start it back up and everything plays fine again.  So the path or user rights are OK also. (Files are in c:\users\public so accessible to anyone normally)
When I enable my wifi after this, everything keeps working again for some weeks.

[edit]
Just did a test on my RPi because videos weren't playing again.
I copied an MKV-file to a usb stick and plugged it in. The file refused to play. Conclusion, it can't be a network problem.

Unplugged the network cable, file still wouldn't play.
Rebooted the RPi (left the cable unplugged) and then the file played fine.
Plugged the cable back in and I could play all files on my server again.

So, something is definitely wrong, but as far as I can tell, it's not my network.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video not playing - log says file doesn't exist0