Messed up Xorg.conf and HTPC will not boot passed xbmc media center logo
Hello,  Had to replace a dead TV with a new one.

In trying to resolve some issues with the new one, I messed with the xorg.conf file (made a mistake) and now my Ion will not boot up passed the "xbmc media center" logo.

I am running Gotham on a Zotac Ion under Linux. I can still "Putty" and WinSCP into the box.

I have returned the xorg.conf file back to the default setting, but it will still not boot up. Linux is obviously loading, but xbmc is not??

How to I get it back. Thanks.

PS. It has been a long long time since I messed with my Ionbox, so I'm really rusty. I have searched for an answer but havn't found anything that can help. I am worried I will make it worse.
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
(2017-11-01, 09:18)KidKiwi Wrote: I am running Gotham on a Zotac Ion under Linux
Ehh... You do know that Gotham is considered prehistoric by now? It is a release from several years ago. Smile

"a Zotac Ion under Linux" is probably running OpenELEC. The Zotac can have any GPU, but most likely a Nvidia. Sorry it's early, and hadn't noticed your signature yet Wink
To be sure, provide us with the full xbmc.log file via pastebin.com or something similar.

Also try running the following command under SSH:
xrandr | pastebinit
and give us the returned URL.
(2017-11-01, 09:25)Klojum Wrote:
(2017-11-01, 09:18)KidKiwi Wrote: I am running Gotham on a Zotac Ion under Linux
Ehh... You do know that Gotham is considered prehistoric by now? It is a release from several years ago. Smile

"a Zotac Ion under Linux" is probably running OpenELEC. The Zotac can have any GPU, but most likely a Nvidia. Sorry it's early, and hadn't noticed your signature yet Wink
To be sure, provide us with the full xbmc.log file via pastebin.com or something similar.

Also try running the following command under SSH:
xrandr | pastebinit
and give us the returned URL.

Thanks for the input. Yes...Gotham is old, but the skin I use hasn't been updated to run on newer versions. I have a custom version of that skin for my own system, so it means waiting until a new skin comes along that I like Smile Been a long wait.

How do I get a debug log when xbmc hasn't started?

I'll see about that xrandr cmd. Thanks again.
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
I have been unable to get any form of log from my system. There has been no new log since the last time it booted properly (even though I have restarted the box many times).

I have enabled debug logging in the advancedsettings.xml file - still not joy as to a log file.

I have SSH'd in and given the "xrandr" cmd and I get "Can't open display." I have the box plugged directly into the TV (to bypass the AVR while fault finding)

Further reading found this cmd
Code:
"sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"
but I'm reluctant to use it as I don't really know what it does.

The system starts and gets to the "xbmc media center" splash screen - cycles through the dots - then just stalls.

I am a loss as how to proceed. Regards.
It would seem reading "Klojum's" comments that perhaps he is out of time zone with me by quite a lot. This makes it difficult to connect.

Perhaps someone else could offer some insight on steps could take - perhaps even to reset the xorg.conf to default? Not sure why it boots so far (with onscreen images to that point) then stop from booting into Kodi? I assume Kodi changes the resolution at startup and that the system NOW does not match?

Thanks..
I managed to resolve my problem myself using the following commands found here

Code:
sudo rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo rm -f xorg.conf*
sudo service lightdm stop
sudo Xorg -configure
[ -f xorg.conf* ] && sudo mv xorg.conf* /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo dpkg-reconfigure $(dpkg -l | awk '{print $2}' | grep "^xserver" | tr '\n' ' ')
sudo update-initramfs -u

All these commands worked on my Ubuntu 14.04 LTS setup. Please note: some of the commands seem to  be used for other flavours of linux.
Once these commands had been initiated, my system booted back to the GUI Big Grin

As a bonus consequence of this issue, the reconfiguration fixed a problem I was having with the GUI at 1920x1080p which was causing severe lines through all the text and images in the GUI (like an interlace issue). To remove this problem, I had to reset to 1280x720p (which is why I was messing with xorg.conf in the first place). I also have a number of other options in the resolution settings I did not have before. So far so good.

I do have one remaining question...

After the reconfigure, there is no longer a "xorg.conf" file in the /etc/X11/ folder. Should there be?? If not, where is the xorg.conf file the system is using located?
(2017-11-02, 08:34)KidKiwi Wrote: After the reconfigure, there is no longer a "xorg.conf" file in the /etc/X11/ folder. Should there be?? If not, where is the xorg.conf file the system is using located?

It is not mandatory. In addition to /etc/X11/xorg.conf also all .conf files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ are used.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVI...figuration

Check this for minimal config.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Messed up Xorg.conf and HTPC will not boot passed xbmc media center logo0