nVidia 171.05 drivers working great on Geforce 9600GTS and linux xbmc.
This is a link for others that now have a Geforce 9600 card. I didn't think about this at first when booting into Ubuntu (switched from a 7600GTS), until i noticed the device prompt. I found this, and thought it'd be nice to share that with others, my timing was great since the drivers were just recently released and are the only ones compatible yet.
They work great, however you will have to stop the x server to install them of course, then start it back up(for any linux beginners out there), but once that's done, they work great!!! No glitches so far while using xbmc (trying out the sudo apt-get install xbmc method instead of building svn's. THANKS AGAIN for doing that!!!! Timesaver.) for ubuntu. Working great, no slowdowns, smooth video.

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/171.05/
Note-- if you install the nvidia-released drivers rather than using ubuntu's restricted driver mechanism, you'll need to reinstall the kernel module every time apt-get update upgrades your kernel, which is quite often. It's a real pain in the butt. If your card wasn't supported when 7.10 came out (like mine) you don't have much of a choice, though. Hopefully 8.04 will work more smoothly.
agreed its a big pain in the butt. Long live windows in that regard I say
Luckily i have updates 2 times, and haven't had to do all that yet, But there are instructions on a file to edit, that tells Ubuntu not to use the build in ones that Ubuntu keeps wanting to use, which seems to do the trick so far. Bunch of users tested.
Jezz_X Wrote:agreed its a big pain in the butt. Long live windows in that regard I say

Long live open source drivers that can be compiled along with the kernel. As are most Linux drivers. Wink
For Ubuntu and Debian there is a great tool to deal with nvidia an ati drivers

http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

I am sure it was mentioned before on this forum, just a reminder Smile
That doesn't work with the beta drivers which are still necessary for new graphics chipsets.
slight Wrote:Long live open source drivers that can be compiled along with the kernel. As are most Linux drivers. Wink

Yeah Maybe true but at least windows will still let you boot into the GUI after it does windows update.
If you use the non Ubuntu supplied drivers and it updates the kernel then a lot of the time it won't even boot to gui and you have to arse around in the command line to compile new drivers for that kernel.
Thats no way for a modern OS to work

But this is all beside the point of this topic
Ubuntu 8.04 fixes that with a "safe mode". But yeah, derailed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia 171.05 drivers working great on Geforce 9600GTS and linux xbmc.0