Sharing library (no UPNP)
Given that UPNP is very unreliable and buggy what is the more simple way to share a Kodi Krypton library installed in a windows 7 system ?
The other systems that shoul access the library are one Vero 4k (OSMC)  and one Sony Android TV.
Many thanks in advance
MySQL (wiki) or emby spring to mind.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thanks
MySQL seems a bit complicated and the "experimental warning" on the wiki isn't very attracting...
Since my existent library of my windows 7 system is perfect and it costed to me a long fine tune, If I go to Emby do you know
which is the right way to MIGRATE the library to Emby to AVOID any possible data loosing ?
There I can't help as I use MySQL myself (my NAS doesn't support Emby). But there are plenty of people around who do and can probably assist, or if all else fails look on their website.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I've already looked at their site but it is not clear what to do when you already have setup a smooth running Kodi library: it is very strange since I think that lot of people was in a situation very similar or identical to mine.
I fear that emby could break something if not managed in the right way when it scrapes files that are already in a Kodi library.
A couple of years ago I was in nearly the same position you are. A very well-polished customized Kodi library, but I wanted to try Emby Theater because of the high quality video playing of MadVR. (At the time I wasn't able to get Kodi DSPlayer, or an external player, to work smoothly in Kodi.) I thought I set up the Emby server to use my Kodi individual NFO files without changing them -- but it stomped all over them anyway. I lost all of my custom genres and movie set designations, and all corrected and/or improved descriptions, titles, etc. When I tried to correct them, it overwrote my choices again and again. I went back to Kodi, and will never touch Emby again.

After that, I struggled along with ZoomPlayer as my external player in Kodi for a while, but now I've successfully set up DSPlayer, and I love it! So stay far away from Emby unless you're willing to have it make all your decisions for you.

ETA: I forgot to mention that I have MySQL set up to serve 2 Windows HTPC's, and an Nvidia Shield and it works very well and very smoothly. If you follow the directions carefully, one step at a time, it's not that hard to set up and is fully worth the trouble.
(2017-11-08, 18:33)elche99 Wrote: MySQL seems a bit complicated and the "experimental warning" on the wiki isn't very attracting...
The experimental tag has been there from the beginning starting with XMBC Dharma in 2009 (?) or so. It works.

(2017-11-08, 18:33)elche99 Wrote: Since my existent library of my windows 7 system is perfect and it costed to me a long fine tune
If it's perfect, why change? Tongue
MySQL is a doddle to setup and works like a charm.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
(2017-11-08, 18:43)DarrenHill Wrote: There I can't help as I use MySQL myself (my NAS doesn't support Emby). But there are plenty of people around who do and can probably assist, or if all else fails look on their website.

Given the BIG warning in the wiki that states that you must have the SAME Kodi version on all Kodi clients I thought that for me is not an option since my client are:
- Kodi on Win 7 pc
- Kodi on OSMC Vero 4k
- Kodi on Sony Android TV
Am I wrong ?
(2017-11-09, 19:32)elche99 Wrote:
(2017-11-08, 18:43)DarrenHill Wrote: There I can't help as I use MySQL myself (my NAS doesn't support Emby). But there are plenty of people around who do and can probably assist, or if all else fails look on their website.

Given the BIG warning in the wiki that states that you must have the SAME Kodi version on all Kodi clients I thought that for me is not an option since my client are:
- Kodi on Win 7 pc
- Kodi on OSMC Vero 4k
- Kodi on Sony Android TV
Am I wrong ?

That just means you have to have the same Kodi release -- 16.x (Jarvis) on all Kodi machines, or 17.x (Krypton) on all Kodi machines, no mixing and matching. So you can't run Jarvis on the PC, and Krypton on the Vero and TV. The different releases use different database versions with different schema. As for Leia, there have been different database versions during development (which is ongoing).

tl;dr: You're fine with MySQL as long as all your Kodi clients are on the same released major version of Kodi.
See the wiki for more details - Database versions (wiki).

What @runningnaked says it's entirely correct though. As long as the major versions match then they'll be shared.

Kodi Blog Posts
Sorry if I resist to MySQL but I had an idea.
My main target is to see the library that I have on PC also on VERO 4K.
IF:
- I make a backup of the library on PC so Kodi writes its .nfo files etc where my files are stored
- I setup from scratch the library on VERO4K using as source the same disks (shared) of the PC where my files are stored
- At this point I should have the same library content on both Kodi installation and I can erase .nfo files etc 
- When I will add new files I will have to add them 2 times: one on PC and the other on VERO4k

Would it works ? Possible problems ? I don't care a lot about watched status that obviously will be not consistent...
Very unwieldy compared to the efficiency and simplicity of mysql. Also watched status will not be shared. Finally you won't be able to stop a movie on one machine, and start it where you left on another.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sharing library (no UPNP)0