v17 Force internet album cover / artwork
Hello,

I would like to know if there is way to force Kodi to retrieve album cover artworks from the internet, even if there is a Cover.jpg file or a picture embedded in the MP3 itself.
According to http://kodi.wiki/view/Music_artwork#Caching, the caching mechanism is in the following order :
  • Album
    1. Embedded artwork within the music file. If this is not available, then
    2. Local artwork correctly named and placed as detailed below. If this does not exist, then
    3. Online artwork from the scraper site
I made my own mp3 rips with embedded album covers a long time ago, but the picture size and quality is not always great. Is it possible to modify the order in which Kodi will pick the artwork, so it can fetch better quality covers from the internet ? I really don't want to do it manually for my 2000+ albums !

Thank you,

Mat
I'm pretty sure that local artwork of 2) will be picked up by scraping and used in preference to that embedded in the music files 1). At least I have a similar situation, and as I have added better cover.jpg to the right location they have appeared.

But reading again you want 3), stuff to magically appear from online. I think it will if you rescrape, but have not tested.

Is it that you have already scraped long ago?) , so stuff is not getting fetched again? In that case try "Rescan to library" from context menu in File view
I have been using Kodi just for a few weeks, so I scraped those files very recently.
If I rescrap again, I still get the same artworks : cover.jpg or embedded cover if they exist, or a cover from an Internet DB if there is no local file.
What I need is to change the settings of the scrapper to preferably fetch the cover from Internet, and use the local artwork as a last resort. Do you think it's possible ?
No, there is no setting that says "ignore the embedded art, and any local art in separate files, and go and fetch urls for possible art online and them make one the new current art automatically".

But that does not mean there is not a way to do what you want. I'll new to try it out tomorrow (unless someone else can chip in first)
yes, that's what I thought.
But maybe there is way to do so via the advancedsetting.xml file or something like that ?
That would be great if you can try it out !
Thanks
You could just remove the embedded art with something like mp3tag with a few clicks. You can do it in bulk.

Picard willl also work, if you tick the remove all over tagging information check box.
(2017-11-13, 15:19)mat4444 Wrote: But maybe there is way to do so via the advancedsetting.xml file or something like that ?
No, there is no secret setting anywhere. I work on the code, there are no options.

I have not had time to look at the sequence of requests that may get you what you want. Meanwhile can you clarify, do you only have imaged embedded in the music files, or are there also images in separate files e.g. folder.jpg or cover.jpg alongside the music files?
In my humble opinion we should not be programming around bad tagging, if the user does not want their embedded artwork used then they should simply remove it.
(2017-11-13, 21:42)docwra Wrote: In my humble opinion we should not be programming around bad tagging, if the user does not want their embedded artwork used then they should simply remove it.

I have no intension of "programming around bad tagging", thing is I don't think it is necessary. Kodi will pick up separate image files in preference to embedded art, I am not so clear on gettng online ones but I think it can. I just have not had time to look, and I can't remember the sequence of art work mangement
Hi Dave,
I have a mix of embedded artwork in the mp3 files and cover.jpg (majority of my files) as well as a few music files without anything at all.
(Apart from these discrepancies in my music library, all my other tags are quite clean Smile )
(2017-11-13, 18:48)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2017-11-13, 15:19)mat4444 Wrote: But maybe there is way to do so via the advancedsetting.xml file or something like that ?
No, there is no secret setting anywhere. I work on the code, there are no options.

I have not had time to look at the sequence of requests that may get you what you want. Meanwhile can you clarify, do you only have imaged embedded in the music files, or are there also images in separate files e.g. folder.jpg or cover.jpg alongside the music files? 
It seems that the wiki is wrong, Kodi will use separate local art files in preference to art embedded in the music files. However Kodi is only going to automatically select the first online scraped image as the current thumb for an album when there is neither art embedded in the music files, nor a separate image file located in an appropriate location. They take precedence, and it is not optional. The design principle is that if the user provides art then that is what they want to use.

Manually visiting each album and picking new art (from those scraped from online) is going to be tedious for you, and I understand that following Docwra's suggestion of removing all the embdded images and separate art files my not be acceptable either. Afterall you may want to use some other player that needs them.

Sorry, no easy solution, but I have some suggestions:

If you can get the better quality art you want to use to be stored in separate files approriately local to the music then on rescanning Kodi will use that rather than the embedded art.  One of the artwork addons e.g. cdArt might do that for you

Another route is bulk editing of a music library export, but I have a feeling that won't work in v17 (I can't remember and too busy on v18 to dig into the old code).

Oh and finally, if you do go through manually selecting better art then you can at least export the final configuration saving the images files locally (in effect replcacing the folder.jpg you have).
cdArt looks like a good alternative to solve my issue. And the downloaded cover.jpg could be used with other software.
I'll have a look at it tonight !
cdArt actually missed a LOT of album covers and a few other were wrong.
Finally, I used Album Art Downloader to fetch the covers semi-automatically, and rescraped the whole music library. Took me a couple hours but the result is much better now !
Some players have max size restriction for embedded art (I have seen 500x500 for example).  So if you sync your Kodi library with other devices you might want to limit the size of embedded art accordingly.  Not sure what would be a reasonable size for Kodi, but Kodi does reduce the size of the "thumbnail" which is actually displayed.  I think advancedsettings can modify this but have never played around with that setting.

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Force internet album cover / artwork0