What is the best way to add MKV files to the library
First off I went through the wiki and didn't see anything specifically on this.

I intend to only use Kodi for my Blu-Ray collection. As of right now I have all my MKV files in one folder called "Movies" and have been going to settings > media settings > Library > Manage sources video then I scroll through to find the mkv file and right click and select scan to library.

This seems like a clunky way to do it. If nothing else I'd like a way to filter so I only see files not yet in the library so I know what needs to be added.

It also doesn't look like there is a setting to tailor the interface to mouse and keyboard. I can't even scroll to everything that is on the home page (won't go past teh second row). Luckily clicking on Movies on the side menu and then using the mouse wheel works. I was planning on using a Logitech - K830 keyboard/trackpad as this is more than just a Kodi box.
See http://kodi.wiki/view/Quick_start_guide

You must have missed Step 10 when adding your source where it offers to scan your all your files in for that source. also on the side menu there's the Update library option that will add anything not already scanned in residing in the configured source.

As for navigation, take your hand off the mouse and rely solely on the keyboard if you insist on not using a remote.
(2017-12-11, 17:56)design1stcode2nd Wrote: As of right now I have all my MKV files in one folder called "Movies"
Do you mean all movies are in the same folder, instead of a folder for every movie?
The best practice is to use a folder per movie, and use the "moviename (year)" format or something similar. One folder for all movies will sometimes work but it get's messy (at least to me) and you might run into problems with artwork.

Also take a look at the link the previous poster mentioned. You should be able to scrape all movies in one go, and only need to scrape again when you've added movies. There is no need to scrape every single movie individually.
I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.
I do think I ran that during the initial setup and didn't think that I could just run it again. Thanks I'l give that a go. 

What is the benefit of having a separate folder with one mkv in each folder?

I could see investing in an RF dongle and a remote if the primary job was streaming/HTPC but this machine will also be used a great deal for gaming so those will be launched with a keyboard and mouse and then a xbox controller. I did see in the wiki that a controller could be used so I'll attempt to enable that.
Separate folders for each movie starts to make sense if you have subtitles files, or perhaps metadata like posters and nfo files to customise what is shown.

Having metadata files alongside the movie files ensures the library can be rebuilt from scratch just using the local info so is quicker than needing to scrape from internet. In addition over time the online info may change, you might have a favourite poster to represent the movie, then after a few years it may no longer be available via scraping online info. So local metadata guarantees you get the same info added ever time.
As for navigation, it's mouse usage Kodi is not so good with, using a keyboard however is like using a remote with a lot of keys, use cursor buttons as you would directional buttons on remote, then there's a whole host of shortcut keys you can use see http://kodi.wiki/view/Keyboard_controls
That makes sense, I'm new to it obviously so scanning in MKVs and changing the poster art is about the extent of what I've done. I have added the tablo add-on which worked immediately. Would be nice to have TV/PVR default to that.

I'll read through the wiki a bit more I did try navigating with the arrow keys and it seemed to work well. I did not find an xbox one controller add on or profile so I'll look into that more.

Seems like once I have imported my collection I should export it to nfo files as a backup.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is the best way to add MKV files to the library0