v17 Play URLs on mediacenter from Smartphone
Hello,

I'm currently a little bit frustrated, so I thought I'd ask here.

I have Kodi 17.4 running on a Raspberry Pi, and a while ago I installed PlayIt on Kodi, an addon that allowed me to share videos (youtube, streaming sites, direct mp4 links, ...) directly to Kodi from my Android smartphone using the companion app. The thing was, even back then, PlayIt on Kodi was horribly broken on Kodi 17, but with some duct tape, XML skillz and sheer luck I actually got it working.

Well, fast forward a few months. Long story short: It finally broke. I cannot use PlayIt on Kodi anymore, it just doesn't work. No errors, it just doesn't play anything anymore, not even the debug log shows more than "failed to play video".

So, I have been looking around for a replacement. And was quite shocked, that none seem to exist. I did realize that the officlal Kodi Remote App (Kore) does work with some links (youtube for example), but in comparison to PlayIt a lot of functionality is missing, e.g. playing videos from openload or just sending direct .mp4 links to the media center.

I looked around a bit more and learned about URLResolver, which seems to be exactly what PlayIt was using. Kore, however, does not seem to be doing that, as - again - many sites that are definitely supported by URLResolver are not playable.

What now? How can I get this (at least in my mind quite crucial and simple) functionality back?

- PiMaker

PS: I also took a look at the RPC API; it seems as though one can access plugins from there too? I tried sending a video to plugin://script.module.urlresolver/?url=url_encoded_http_link but that just brought up a "missing plugin" dialog for urlresolver on the screen...
Look at Yatze on your phone - it also has the option of playing to Kodi (although I'm not sure if you need to do the in-app purchase to get that functionality offhand).

But some of the functionality you may be looking for (e.g. openload) is probably against our piracy policy (wiki). In such cases you're on your own - don't ask about such stuff here.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Play URLs on mediacenter from Smartphone0