wayland and kodi
Hello out there,
i read about wayland support and tried to get it working.
how far is it at the moment. is it useable so i can exchange against X11. Can i start it automatically in fullscreen. do i need the wayland compisitor that i first start the graphical engine and then after that execute kodi?
my X11 is starting kodi without showing me anything. i like to have it the same way if this is really working.
(2017-12-29, 21:14)waligu Wrote: Hello out there,
i read about wayland support and tried to get it working.
how far is it at the moment. is it useable so i can exchange against X11. Can i start it automatically in fullscreen. do i need the wayland compisitor that i first start the graphical engine and then after that execute kodi?
my X11 is starting kodi without showing me anything. i like to have it the same way if this is really working.
Resolution/refresh rate switching is not there yet because of limitations with Wayland itself, but everything else is generally on-par with X11. If you set it to fullscreen mode, it will start fullscreen (just like with X11). And yes, you do have to start a Wayland compositor first.
There is also the possibility to use the DRM backend instead of Wayland, which might be a better fit depending on your use case.
(2017-12-30, 13:33)yol Wrote:
(2017-12-29, 21:14)waligu Wrote:  
Resolution/refresh rate switching is not there yet because of limitations with Wayland itself, but everything else is generally on-par with X11. If you set it to fullscreen mode, it will start fullscreen (just like with X11). And yes, you do have to start a Wayland compositor first.
There is also the possibility to use the DRM backend instead of Wayland, which might be a better fit depending on your use case. 
 Thanxs to your fast answer.
ok mostly i understand it and also the problem with the resolution switching cause of wayland and how it works.
what do you mean with  there is also the possibility to use the drm backend instead of wayland?
i used at the moment Xorg with modesetting in the conf - is that what you mean with the drm backend?
(2018-01-03, 02:36)waligu Wrote:
(2017-12-30, 13:33)yol Wrote:
(2017-12-29, 21:14)waligu Wrote:  
 Thanxs to your fast answer.
ok mostly i understand it and also the problem with the resolution switching cause of wayland and how it works.
what do you mean with  there is also the possibility to use the drm backend instead of wayland?
i used at the moment Xorg with modesetting in the conf - is that what you mean with the drm backend? 
(2018-01-03, 02:41)waligu Wrote:
(2018-01-03, 02:36)waligu Wrote:
(2017-12-30, 13:33)yol Wrote: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/artf...drm.7.html - i think you mean this 
Hello @waligu

I can see you are having some problems with quotes.

Instead of using the "Reply" button to write your message, simply type in the "Quick Reply" box at the bottom of the page and press "Post Reply" when you are ready to post.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2018-01-03, 02:36)waligu Wrote: what do you mean with  there is also the possibility to use the drm backend instead of wayland?
No. The Kodi DRM/gbm backend is completely separate and uses neither Xorg nor Wayland. Basically, it allows you to run Kodi directly on the video hardware without any display server in between. You can enable it similarly to the Wayland backend by configuring Kodi with -DCORE_PLATFORM_NAME=gbm. Be aware that it's not very well-tested yet and might have some other limitations, especially regarding hardware-accelerated decoding.
Thank you for your help - i will try it without any xserver - would be great if that works
Trying to run kodi on wayland as a standalone application.

I installed kodi-wayland (kodi-x11 seams to be installed aditionally). When starting kodi I get the error 
log:

Aug 18 22:57:31 mediacenter /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-wayland-session[17937]: Error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/kodi/kodi-gbm not found
Aug 18 22:57:31 mediacenter /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-wayland-session[17937]: message repeated 2 times: [ Error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/kodi/kodi-gbm not found]
Aug 18 22:57:31 mediacenter /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-wayland-session[17937]: /usr/bin/kodi --standalone  has exited in an unclean state 3 times in the last 0 seconds.
Aug 18 22:57:31 mediacenter /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-wayland-session[17937]: Something is probably wrong
This seams to be the first problem. Creating a sybolic link pointing to kodi-wayland resolves this in some way, but then I get the error
log:

Aug 18 23:02:15 mediacenter /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-wayland-session[20493]: terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
Aug 18 23:02:15 mediacenter /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-wayland-session[20493]:   what():  Could not connect to Wayland display server via name
Aug 18 23:02:20 mediacenter /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-wayland-session[20493]: Aborted (core dumped)
and in the crash-log
log:

what(): Could not connect to Wayland display server via name
What do you mean with standalone application? Did you start a weston or mutter before? Does it work on gnome?
Sorry, didn't see the reply earlier.

Many years I have started kodi as singles fullscreen application in gnome. This mean, I added "Exec=kodi-standalone' into a kodi.desktop file and started this as xsession. This has worked very well.

Since update to Ubuntu 18.04 it is not working like expected. First timed login crashed every time gdm3, gnome, kodi or whatever and I just had a black screen. 

Then I thought perhaps the change from Wayland from X.org on the update from 17.10 to 18.04 produces the problems and uninstalled X.org and tried to run kodi on wayland as standalone app. In fact it is same to me if kodi is running on X.Org, Wayland or GBA - as long as there is the gdm3 logon-screen with a timed login and starting kodi even with turend off monitor.

In fact the setup has worked as expected several times for monthes until some upgrade of ubuntu decided to change everything and replacing one software with some much better other and nothing works like before. But that an Ubuntu problem that every upgrade destroys something.

When I use the other user a deskop is started. I expect it is a gnome desktop and I expect it is running on Wayland, because I uninstalled X.org. So the base system with Wayland should work.
I doubt that running kodi as standlone session on wayland works. It's supposed to be run on top of a wayland based desktop.
If you want standalone, use X11 or gbm
Be aware that feature set and quality differ between X11, Wayland, gbm, ... Before you take a decision you should make yourself familiar with pros and cons of the various platforms as well as standalone vs. desktop.
Is there a recommended comparison of the features & drawbacks of x11 vs wayland vs gbm?

(Aside from the obvious "your hardware may not yet be well supported on wayland or gbm.")
At least my keyboard and mouse is not working with gbm.

Other features like video acceleration and multichannel sound and so on doesn't care me, as long as it is possible to play MPEG2.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
wayland and kodi0