Solved update the library automatically
Hello,

I'm using Kodi on my raspberry and I'm having trouble updating my library automatically.

I was using Plex before and the library was automatically updating itself on the Plex client when a movie was added to the server.

I know that Kodi works differently, but how do I update the Kodi database automatically when I add a movie to my "NAS"?

I created an NTFS link between my NAS and Kodi however, I have to click on "Update Library" manually.

When I use the addon to update the library automatically by creating a script that updates the library every minute, of course Kodi crashes from time to time.

Of course I can restart Kodi for the automatic update, or do a manual update but it is not practical.

In addition, I switched to Kodi to use it on a second screen (transcoding problem with plex). But as the library does not update automatically, I must first connect to Kodi (raspberry) click on update the library, return to the floor and start watching via my phone on the second TV to using a Chromecast key.

I find it very "boring".

Today I do not put my movies on my "NAS", I use the application VideoStream google PC to cast on the chromecast key.

In the end, I ask myself the question: "Should i go back to plex ?"

Sorry for the Google translation. English is not easy for me.
(2018-01-02, 17:03)MisterTic Wrote: I know that Kodi works differently, but how do I update the Kodi database automatically when I add a movie to my "NAS"?
You don't. Kodi would have to continuously scan your NAS drive(s) for changes, and most people won't like that since they want their NAS/drives to go to sleep when they are not watching videos.

I don't know how many videos are being put on your NAS each day, but pressing the 'button' to manually scan for new movies every couple of days is not the most exhausting thing to do IMO.
Perhaps you can run a CRON script on the RPi to automate the Update Library every 6 hours or so, or whatever interval is convenient for you.

(2018-01-02, 17:03)MisterTic Wrote: In the end, I ask myself the question: "Should i go back to plex ?"
Only you can answer that question. Smile
(2018-01-02, 17:31)Klojum Wrote:
(2018-01-02, 17:03)MisterTic Wrote: I know that Kodi works differently, but how do I update the Kodi database automatically when I add a movie to my "NAS"?
You don't. Kodi would have to continuously scan your NAS drive(s) for changes, and most people won't like that since they want their NAS/drives to go to sleep when they are not watching videos.

I don't know how many videos are being put on your NAS each day, but pressing the 'button' to manually scan for new movies every couple of days is not the most exhausting thing to do IMO.
Perhaps you can run a CRON script on the RPi to automate the Update Library every 6 hours or so, or whatever interval is convenient for you.
(2018-01-02, 17:03)MisterTic Wrote: In the end, I ask myself the question: "Should i go back to plex ?"
Only you can answer that question. Smile 
Thanks for taking time to respond to me.

When I want to watch a movie, I download it and then I want to watch it. I upload it from my PC to my "NAS".

This is not a problem when I'm on the main TV with the raspberry I'm browsing in kodi and I'm updating my library.

However, when I use my second TV with a chromecast key, I run the movie with the Yatse app on my phone. The movie is not listed in Yatse until the library is updated.

At first, I have to turn on my main TV, open kodi, update the library, go back to the second tv, update the list on Yatse, launch the movie.

I prefer to start the movie directly via VideoStream for google today or use an external hard drive.

I migrated to RecallBox to play old games, with Kodi. I'm sorry, TV smarts have the integrated plex client, I'm not sure this is the case for Kodi. Unless you buy an android box.

With the "CRON" script that updates every minute the Kodi library crashes systematically. Pity. I think my use requires Plex.
Look at the watchdog add-on - it may do what you want.

Add-on:Watchdog (wiki)

Or slightly differently (via a cron timer) the Library Automatic Update add-on

Add-on:XBMC_Library_Auto_Update (wiki)
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2018-01-02, 18:27)DarrenHill Wrote: Look at the watchdog add-on - it may do what you want.

Add-on:Watchdog (wiki)

Or slightly differently (via a cron timer) the Library Automatic Update add-on

Add-on:XBMC_Library_Auto_Update (wiki)

Thank you very much I was aware of the library auto update application but not watchdog is exactly what I needed. I just tried it works perfectly.

my Nas never goes into hybernation because of the DDNS service. so it's not a problem.
Thread marked solved.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
The problem arose because you weren't using kodi, you were doing that chromecast thing. Installing another kodi machine attached to your second tv, along with a shared database would have worked from the start.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2018-01-03, 00:27)nickr Wrote: The problem arose because you weren't using kodi, you were doing that chromecast thing. Installing another kodi machine attached to your second tv, along with a shared database would have worked from the start.
 Not really, my problem was that the library was not updating automatically.

Even if Kodi does not work like Plex in server mode, I use it the same way. Today, I upload my movie to my NAS via my computer and launch the movie on any TV using the Yatse app.
I do not need to connect to Kodi anymore.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
update the library automatically0