Kodi app upgrade (v16>17) failure on TV box
hello 

I hope someone will be able to assist - we are newbies to the TVBOX/KODI app world.
We recently received a TV box (Android) as a gift. Being somewhat technologically non-savvy it was explained (fairly slowly and with pictures) to us by a friend what Kodi was and how to upgrade from our current version of 16 to version 17 in order to reap the full Kodi rewards. We connected the box to our TV, connected to the internet and duly went to the Kodi.tv site. We selected DOWNLOADS and attempted to download the ARM file under the Android man. We attempted to download from the GOOGLE PLAY file first, however an error appeared when we clicked on the link stating our unit was incompatible?? We then went to select the ARMV7 (32bit) and ARMV8(62 bit) file options, which did download.
However upon trying to INSTALL the file using the orange android application manager man (found in the menu on the TV box), our attempt failed (on multiple occasions) with the following error message "failed to install the app" (both the V7 and V8 files on separate occasions). So we remain with Kodi version16.

What would cause the failure of the installation of the version 17 app on our TV box? Can we apply an alternate method of download? Any advice or assistance would be valued! Thank you!
(2018-01-03, 12:32)IldiFW Wrote: hello 

I hope someone will be able to assist - we are newbies to the TVBOX/KODI app world.
We recently received a TV box (Android) as a gift. Being somewhat technologically non-savvy it was explained (fairly slowly and with pictures) to us by a friend what Kodi was and how to upgrade from our current version of 16 to version 17 in order to reap the full Kodi rewards. We connected the box to our TV, connected to the internet and duly went to the Kodi.tv site. We selected DOWNLOADS and attempted to download the ARM file under the Android man. We attempted to download from the GOOGLE PLAY file first, however an error appeared when we clicked on the link stating our unit was incompatible?? We then went to select the ARMV7 (32bit) and ARMV8(62 bit) file options, which did download.
However upon trying to INSTALL the file using the orange android application manager man (found in the menu on the TV box), our attempt failed (on multiple occasions) with the following error message "failed to install the app" (both the V7 and V8 files on separate occasions). So we remain with Kodi version16.

What would cause the failure of the installation of the version 17 app on our TV box? Can we apply an alternate method of download? Any advice or assistance would be valued! Thank you!
 What version of Android does your box have? Kodi v17 works only on Android v5 and greater. Also, try to UNINSTALL old Kodi before installing new. And download (if youre downloading from kodi site) 32 bit version since your box is most probably 32 bit (even though it says it is 64 bit)

D.
(2018-01-03, 12:36)DaLanik Wrote:
(2018-01-03, 12:32)IldiFW Wrote: hello 

What version of Android does your box have? Kodi v17 works only on Android v5 and greater. Also, try to UNINSTALL old Kodi before installing new. And download (if youre downloading from kodi site) 32 bit version since your box is most probably 32 bit (even though it says it is 64 bit)

D. 

Thanks for the info - I am not sure...I will need to check the android version when I get home later. Should it be an older version of Android, is it possible to upgrade it? or are we stuck with the hardware and software as is?
That question is beyond the scope of what we support here - we just make the Kodi software, not Android nor the hardware.

You'd be best addressing that to whoever sold you the box, or whoever makes it (neither are us). A search on the internet may give you more information as well.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2018-01-03, 15:12)DarrenHill Wrote: That question is beyond the scope of what we support here - we just make the Kodi software, not Android nor the hardware.

You'd be best addressing that to whoever sold you the box, or whoever makes it (neither are us). A search on the internet may give you more information as well.
 Understood! thanks for the assistance and insight.
best wishes for a successful 2018!
Just a brief update - Android version was 5.1. on my TV box. I managed to uninstall the old version of Kodi then install version 17 and voila...it worked! Hooray!
Then the confusing instructions of installing and running the Neptune app was another mission....however it was successfully accomplished! I still need to try and understand the logic behind what I did (i sort of followed Youtube videos and instructions found on google)...and sheesh to me at the moment it seems confusing...but the potential for fun and understanding what goes on in the Kodi world is potentially there now.
Thanks for all the advice and help Smile
cheers

ildi
Neptune is a piracy banned addon (wiki) so unfortunately you've just made your system entirely unsupported here as it now violates our piracy policy (wiki).

Most of those alleged YouTube "tutorials" are entirely 3rd party, nothing to do with us and will just lead you into such junk which at best don't work very well and at worst can completely screw your device (and if you're unlucky your whole local network and expose it to all sorts of nasties).

You'd be well advised to remove it again and be careful on what else you install from outside our official repo. Some of the links in my signature may assist to guide you.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
really?
oh my goodness just when I thought I was making progress......its hard to follow all the bits and bobs of information out there....and know the legitimate and confident path one is on especially since one is not in the know.
So I just need to uninstall Neptune not v17 of Kodi... correct?
and then find the correct link to install Covenant?
@IldiFW

We do not support Covenant.

Before you post again, read our Forum Rules (wiki) and the list of Banned Addons (wiki)

It is clear what you are endeavoring to accomplish, and you will receive no further assistance here.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I think its best I read the guides on Wiki as you suggested....gives a better overview of whats what and where, how and why!
thanks for the information
The simplest rule of thumb is if an add-on is giving you something for free (TV shows, TV channels or Movies) which you'd normally need to pay money for (subscription etc) or that wouldn't normally be available on a home device (for example movies that are still being shown in theatres) then you can be sure that the sources that they are using are pirated and illegal.

Similarly almost all of the kodi "builds" are just junk stuffed full with such banned addons (wiki), and if you have any sense you'll avoid those too (if it's bulk installing stuff known to be using illegal sources, does it make any sense to trust that it's not installing all sorts of other dubious or downright nasty stuff as well in the background?). This is also what most of the YouTube peddlers push, and honestly we would much rather they didn't, as of course when things stop working (as they invariably do when the legitimate rights owners find the sources and have them taken down) people come here and expect us to support the junk.

It's one of those situations where old fashioned common sense should be applied, and if something seems too good to be true then it probably is. All the stuff in the official repo (the built-in one) is verified and is fine, and there are a lot of good and trustworthy 3rd party stuff out there too (generally if there is an established thread for an add-on or repo here, you can trust it). But there is a lot of dodgy crap as well, especially if you go looking for the more shady areas like piracy add-ons peddling "free movies and TV".

As a litmus test, just ask yourself "would I buy this from a man in the pub?"

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi app upgrade (v16>17) failure on TV box0