[Kodi 18 Leia] Remote Control Issues
So I'm going to take a break here and get a log for the problem.
(2018-01-17, 19:48)debennett2 Wrote: So I'm going to take a break here and get a log for the problem.
 This is fixed starting in the nightly from 1/15.
(2018-01-17, 20:25)zoydberg Wrote:
(2018-01-17, 19:48)debennett2 Wrote: So I'm going to take a break here and get a log for the problem.
 This is fixed in the most recent nightly from 1/15. 
 No, it's not. Not the volume control issues. Not for me anyhow....and not for anyone I can tell who has reported volume control issues. The focus-realted issues seem to have gone away but not this. I still have to alt-tab to the windows desktop in order to change volume (my volume keys control the PC volume and not the volume within Kodi). There is clearly some major changes done to the interface that are messing with such things.
Yes, sorry I should have chosen my words better, the focus issue at least appears to fixed.
(2018-01-14, 18:00)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2018-01-11, 22:30)debennett2 Wrote: Come on....lay off the guy. There has been plenty of Leia testers making note of the volume and focus issues for a little while now. I'd gladly send a debug log, however, I don't see any interest in the bug from developers (i.e. "hey, you got a debug log we can see?"). THat's all well and good, but, to take the time to actually give this guy crap rather than ignore THEM shows me priorities are messed up and maybe someone needs a vacation/break?

Perhaps it’s been ignored because there’s been no proper bug report, I’ve yet to see anyone providing a debug log for the problems they are having. Personally speaking as someone who has a busy life doing this in their limited free time I prioritise my time on the forum, anything not reported in a proper manner is highly likely to ignored by me. 
debug log

I hope this helps, although I'm not sure how as it is an odd issue where Kodi is stealing focus over everything basically.
(2018-01-17, 20:29)debennett2 Wrote: debug log

I hope this helps, although I'm not sure how as it is an odd issue where Kodi is stealing focus over everything basically.

Well my MCE compatible ehome driver remotes work perfectly with nightly builds, so no this is not some well known general issue as has been implied. I'll take a look at the log later, but can you confirm whether you remote is acting as a keyboard? since that's the only way a remote will adjust Kodi's own volume control on Windows, even if not operating as a keyboard then it should adjust Windows system volume just fine while Kodi is full screen.

Sorry but this makes no sense
Quote:it is an odd issue where Kodi is stealing focus over everything basically
What exactly do you mean by this?
Quote:Well my MCE compatible ehome driver remotes work perfectly with nightly builds, so no this is not some well known general issue as has been implied. I'll take a look at the log later, but can you confirm whether you remote is acting as a keyboard? since that's the only way a remote will adjust Kodi's own volume control on Windows, even if not operating as a keyboard then it should adjust Windows system volume just fine while Kodi is full screen.

I use a Logitech Harmony Smart Control Remote/hub for both of my main Kodi installs in the house (bluetooth). Both systems use the same basic configuration (Windows 8.1 64-bit on the other one and Windows 10 64-bit on this one in question) in the smart control options. It emulates a keyboard of sorts and sends a Windows command (It's essentially configured as I am controlling a Windows PC) of VolumeUp and VolumeDown. This still works as long as Kodi isn't the app in focus which is why I made the broad generalization that Kodi is somehow stealing the show when in the foreground. I know it doesn't make "sense" but it's what I'm seeing. This symptom started the same time that the focus issues started with the other builds. Being as the focus issue seemed to be limited to the Windows machines and that I can duplicate this over the very same builds, I assumed there is still a gremlin in the code.
From a quick scan of the log I can see:

APPCOMMAND 9 which is volume down
APPCOMMAND 10 which is volume up

These are the standard MCE windows volume commands thus will have no effect on the Kodi volume control since Kodi assumes these will be for adjusting system volume.

How do you run Kodi, in true fullscreen or in a fullscreen window?
(2018-01-18, 14:29)jjd-uk Wrote: From a quick scan of the log I can see:

APPCOMMAND 9 which is volume down
APPCOMMAND 10 which is volume up

These are the standard MCE windows volume commands thus will have no effect on the Kodi volume control since Kodi assumes these will be for adjusting system volume.

How do you run Kodi, in true fullscreen or in a fullscreen window?
I run Kodi in a fullscreen window. Always have. I don't argue that the commands are being sent from the remote at all (since the volume controls work as long as Kodi isn't in the foreground). I have no proprietary remote control or automation software running to in any way affect things....it's a pretty basic install with only Kodi really running.
Anything in the log that I missed?
(2018-01-14, 16:04)Martijn Wrote:
(2018-01-14, 15:52)debennett2 Wrote:
(2018-01-11, 22:35)Martijn Wrote: Oh well maybe none of the devs gives a crap about remotes working on windows. All you can do it's wait till some one does give a crap. Might take a week, might take months.
 You guys all have bad attitudes lately.

S

Could certainly say that about certain users as well who appear out of nowhere and start ranting and demanding.

Who was "ranting and demanding"?
The guy wrote in a specific way to NOT appear ranting.
I've been coming to forums to help myself for about a decade with xbmc/kodi and always eventually figure stuff out. Have never had to register/comment until today.
I too have an issue with my remote (RF based) that works fine on krypton, but with 64bit leia only the the direction pad and select (and volume) work. The play/pause ffw/rew stop etc, all don't work... But every couple weeks i come here, update, and read the forums.
Could the guy have been more polite, sure, i guess if he knew that puckering up was prerequisite he'd have made more effort (maybe?). But I think it was probably more you attaching you attitude to his text.
Anyway, its just bad for the community if people think that if they come here, read about others having same problems, who have submitted logs and made bug reports, return for several months seeing no fixes, take the time to then sign up and see if maybe there has been a fix but maybe it wasn't addressed (answered/closed post) and then get railed on for not saying "please don't flame me" in a way that made you understand he meant NO disrespect.
I also think she probably shouldn't have came back with bitchy replies to the crap replies he got... It's all just counterproductive and a waste of everyone's time.
Now, I will stop wasting mine (and yours) and continue reading to see if there was any progress that may help me figure out my issue.

Edit:
FWIW, my IR mcremote works (all the keys that did in krypton) its just the RF remote (acts as a keyboard) that's a generic remote layout on one side and a qwerty keyboard on the other side ($18 Amazon thing) that lost functionality in Leia. Not sure if its just the 64bit or not, it's just all that I have tried (the only reason I updated).

Edit 2:
Tried updating to the 4-02 x64 nightly to see if anything has been fixed, and it crashes on execute. So I can install the 4-03 x86 and it does in fact suffer the same issue as the x64. I also tried 17.6 (I was using 17.4 when it last worked before upgrading to the x64 Leia)

So it makes no sense, but chrome (Google music) takes the multimedia button controls from Kodi when using the RF based media controller (it claims to act as a wireless keyboard) but doesn't when using the IR remote. So with the RF i am limited to the directional pad an OK button, the IR works for those + multimedia (play/pause/ffw/rw/nxt/prv)
I've been using an inexpensive Rosewill RC6 IR remote for years with Kodi, and the only problem I've noted with Kodi 18 is that it does not immediately grab focus on Kodi's true full screen interface when first started. I'm not running a full screen Window, but true full screen, and I still have to first click somewhere with my mouse so focus is on Kodi and not the Windows desktop. Kodi acts like it is running in a full screen Window, but it is not, according to my settings. Anyway, no big deal, just an FYI.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Kodi 18 Leia] Remote Control Issues0